Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2020 10:31:02 PM EDT
What’s the go to .22lr precision ammo?

I have been running cci standard but I am down to 800 rounds and looking for recommendations for something else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It really is a good idea to test several types.

Eley and Lapua shoot better than CCI for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here. Eley and Lapua outpace others generally speaking.

I’ve also had good luck with Aguila Super-Extra (lead, not copper) which is actually an Eley product.

I’ve had solid results from Eley Target and would probably buy it in bulk as my go to ammo for sighting in. I know I could head shot small game with it. Sometimes Eley Club shoots slightly better but for the price difference it isn’t worth it for my guns.

I’ve wanted to try the Eley Ten-X but no one carries it locally and I don’t want to pay shipping for a box or two of it.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Eley High Velocity. I expected accuracy to drop off with the velocity increase, but it’s shot surprisingly well.

OP, seriously, buy about 10 to 20 different types of ammo and spend a day shooting 4 or 5 five-shot groups with each ammo. You’ll figure out what your rifle likes. Sometimes you even get lucky and your gun likes the cheaper stuff better.

Of the cheapest bulk stuff, CCI Blazer has given me the best accuracy. But there is still quite a bit of variance to it. Generally speaking, the more expensive the ammo, the better the performance. However, SK and the Federal and Wolf premium ammos haven’t done much out of my .22’s.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried geco match made in Germany and it is decent but not as good as cci standard, I also tried federal gold medal match and same story, I’ll give some lapua center x a try and see what I can get
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The Wolf is good ammo but no longer made by SK. It's now made by Eley.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW I couldn't get Green Tag to work any better than SV. FGMM has a slight edge on them for me.

They're the best ammo I've been able to try. The SV being ½-⅝" @ 50, FGMM doing ⅜-½". Not going to win any matches with that, but I'm also just some dipshit with a sporting rifle.

The remington (made by eley) was OK, kinda picky on the gun.

Some RWS standard type stuff was also OK. For the price, it sucks. I'm sure their match loads do much better.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Eley, Lapua and SK have worked well in my B14r and 40x’s. You really have to try out different types and lots to get something that will really hammer.

The Lapua center X and various SK offerings have performed well out to 300yds for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
What chamber will it be used in?
EPS,Calfee,Win52, Vudoo, Bentz ?    Lapua/SK, Eley and RWS are the go to company’s ( Wolf is Eley ammo). CCI standard is good ammo but definitely not match.  The truth about rimfire is you have to do lot testing to really know what your rifle shoots best.      
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
SK Rifle Match has been the most consistent for me across a variety of match guns. After that Eley Club has been pretty reliably good in all the .22's I've fed it to. Wolf Match is actually some of the most consistent I've used but I have a couple guns that just hate it so I don't play with it much myself. Most other match shooters I see are using Wolf nowadays. Price is hard to beat for the performance you get.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
You just have to find what your rifle likes. It also depends on what you are looking for. If money is no object, you could always go to a lapua testing facility and lot test ammunition. I only have ever met one person who did this. It cost him thousands of dollars in the end, because he bought many thousands of rounds from that particular lot that his rifle liked.

I’m not into paying that much per round of rimfire ammunition. I’ve always shot cci green tag in my old anschutz, and my dad’s anschutz.

I went through 37 different kinds of ammunition with my 10/22 when I put my Kidd lightweight barrel on it. I tested everything from bulk packs to around $0.18/bullet ammunition. The cci green tag was the best grouping, but cci sv was so close to it, and so much cheaper that I settled on the sv. With me shooting, it is consistently under 1/2” at 50 yards. If I shot longer range, I would probably go with the green tag. It had better sd es numbers when chronographed. The 10/22 isn’t as accurate as the anschutz 1710d hb that I used to have, but that’s to be expected. The Anschutz was right at 3/8” consistently, the 10/22 averaged .43 with sv with it ranging from about .32 to .49.  Either way you’re comparing ragged holes. One federal “match” 😒 was good, the other was horrible imo at like .76”.

My only advice is to acclimate the barrel before measuring groups or velocities. It does make a slight difference, especially when going to/from waxed/plated. When you find what it likes, buy a lot of it from the same lot, or if you can’t find lot info, all that the store has at the time. Then when you find more somewhere else try it to see if it shoots the same, before buying a bunch. Don’t just shoot one group. Buy a box of 50, use like 25-30 to get your gun used to the ammunition and shoot the rest in 5 shot groups, with some time between groups, before shooting the next ammunition. If you’re testing bulk pack or cheap, you don’t need to waste your time on 50. Pop off 20 or so, and shoot the first group. If the first group is horrible, give up. If it’s good, finish out some more groups. Especially with cheap ammunition, it’s not the best group, but the worst group that you should pay attention to. The worst group generally says more about its potential than the best. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

It’s all what you consider acceptable. I could definitely shoot a few thousandths smaller groups with my 10/22, but it is perfectly acceptable for my uses. I mostly just shoot chipmunks inside 60 yards. Sub 1/2” at 50 yards means that if I miss, it was me, and only me. That’s what I wanted. I’m not shooting a know your limits match at 100 yards with a 1/4” spinner on the small end.

CCI green tag, Lapua, SK, would be what I would recommend for anyone to test if they want the best accuracy. If you don’t want to spend $$$, cci sv, federal automatch, were my two best shooting cheap ammunition.  Federal gold medal match was like a mid grade one was good, my gun didn’t like the other.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll go out on a limb and be the odd man out, but I say roll your own. Cutting edge bullets came out with a line of dies and lathe turned 42 & 50gr 22 projectiles specifically for reloading 22lr. While I don't actually do this myself I wonder how the 22lr platform could be pushed by handloading, if much at all. Like others have said I prefer the wolf match target (I preferred the SK manufactured lots) and Lapua (I like the X-act and Midas+)
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#14]
Ely Match (Black Box) or Tenex, or Lapua Center-X have done very well in my precision bolt .22LR.  But, as others have said, experiment as each barrel will have its own preferences.  If the barrel is accurate enough, even different lot numbers of the same ammo may shoot differently.  Given the shortage right now, you may just have to shoot the best you can find, unless you have already stockpiled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top