User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cvtrpr:
I have a Christensen Arms Ranger in .22LR, that is sub-MOA at 100 with cheap S&B Club 40gr round nose.

I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x50 on it, and the best part is that it feeds from 10/22 mags.  Pics later when I get to my phone.
View Quote

S&B Club sub-MOA at 100 yards?  Consistently?

Didn't do so well in this test.  Note:  These were 5 consecutive 5-shot strings, fired through a $10,000 Bleiker single shot .22LR with hand-lapped Lilja barrel (tuner equipped), with two stage trigger to try to eliminate as many non-ammo confounding factors as possible.  I don't know the trigger weight setting for those tests.  That action/barrel combo is considered to be perhaps the most accurate .22LR "off the shelf" available at any price and is the top choice of most international competition shooters.  The scope was a Leupold 8.5-25x50 LR target scope with sunshade, set at 25x.

I can see MOA at 50 yards.  Christiansen guarantees that, but 100 yard MOA is daunting with the best equipment and ammo.  Maybe S&B Club could luck into it occasionally, but consistently?

I agree that some.22LR barrels have clear ammo preferences, but S&B Club almost always groups close to 2MOA at 100 yards from multiple comparison tests.  It seems to group well at 50 yards, within 1MOA in good rifles, but as distance increases, the groups start falling apart.

I guess you just got an exceptionally good lot.

The tests were performed under controlled benchrest conditions at an indoor ammo test facility.

Link to details here:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve only read great things about the CZ.  But, as a Tikka T3x owner, I bought another Tikka, which is as smooth as it’s older stablemate.

Leupold scope.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:
CZ…..
View Quote

1st post and all that.

I have two 452 rifles and a 453 and love them all.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Bergara master race. 5 shot groups at 50.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My Bergara B14R amazes me with its accuracy.  The only modification to mine is a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger and will shoot well under 1/2" five shot groups at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
T1x 20" 50 yard group with CCI SV
Attachment Attached File

25 yard tackdriver challenge
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It really comes down to your budget.  I just sold a nice Cooper. Tt was far too nice to drag around the squirrel woods, at least for me.  A 54 actioned Anschutz is pretty much a guaranteed shooter, but you're talking big bucks.  For an affordage wood rifle, it's hard to beat a CZ or the Bergara BMR.  The BMR makes a nice short compact woods rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
whatever you get, youll get a lot of mileage out trying many brands of ammo and/or lot testing higher end stuff.

Also be honest to yourself, rigourous testing of 22 accuracy is 10 shot groups at 50, and at 100 or more if Long Range is important to you, or one of those benchrest/tack driving targets.  50 round box:  10 down the bore to season, 2x10 shot 50yd, 2x10shot at 100 (or 10 at 100 and 10 at 200 if you are doing really long range).  some 22 look good at 50 and falls apart at range.

I say get a tikka or cz to start with and spend the extra $ on testing lots of ammo... or go full tier-one and have a rim-x custom built by a reputable PR smith, or an anschutz for plug n play.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:43:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#11]
deanwormer, OP purchased a Tikka T1X a while ago.  Rifle is now fixed for the OP.

He hasn't reported on his ammo of choice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top