Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2019 10:19:46 PM EDT
Idk if this really counts as gunsmithing, but I think it fits here.

I have a Palmetto PA10 I've been tinkering with for a year or so. I got it to run reliably, and relatively accurate for what it is.

Recently decided to upgrade to a Ballistic Advantage 16" barrel, carbine gas system. SA adjustable gas block. PSA BCG, standard charging handle, enhanced buffer/spring, and MI Gen 2 free float.

Tested it out today, and right off the bat had issues with inserting a magazine (ASC steel) on a closed bolt. Locked it back, inserted the mag, and hit the release. No bang. The bolt failed to go into battery, and was stuck. Had to use both hands and put the stock into my chest to get it open. I'm going to plane this one on me, as there bolt was dry as could be. Lubed it up and the problem decreased, but did happen again.

Switched over to Pmags and much better fit of the mags. Had a few issues while adjusting the gas block, but that's to be expected.

Next issue I noticed on last round, the bolt tends to pass over the round. Is my bolt cycling too fast?
Next, on last round, the bolt locks open, but removing the magazine releases the bolt. Im assuming the bolt isn't engaging fully? I have a feeling it's mostly related to the buffer spring?

Next issue, I noticed that the muzzle device is not centered in the middle of the free float. In fact, the bottom of the muzzle device is about a few sheets of paper away from making contact with the free float. Doesn't make contact now, but once I add a suppressor [eventually] I assume it will.  Did I mess up the install of the barrel nut? Idk how I could have.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:53:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#1]
Feeding issues...a full mag is prob putting too much pressure  on the bolt making it hard to pull the bolt back. I have had good luck with asc but you may need to tweak the feed lips down a little for better feeding. Not a big deal.

As far as the lock back issue. Sounds under gassed to me. The tweaked feed lips may help. May need a lighter buffer or adjustable gas block. Adjustable gas block is prob the best option. The new gen 3 models come with one out of the box. I think they only put them in the gen 2 creedmoors
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks. I did install my own adjustable gb, thiught I had it running reliable but I guess I'll open up another click or 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top