Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 1:48:42 PM EDT
I am a complete newb to optics and long range shooting. I recently gained access to some property where I can go out to about 500 yards and decided to try my hand.
Starting out the inexpensive rout, I put a Vortex Crossfire 3x9x40 on a Remington 700 in .308
Have the whole week of Christmas off and would like to zero it in. I figure I will start at 100yds and work my way out.
The question is, the temp here in SW Ohio will probably be in the low 30's during the day. Could the lower temp adversely affect the scope and would temperature affect zero when the weather warms up?
Thanks in advance for any advise.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#1]
Temperature affects air density, which will influence the point of impact. Colder temperatures mean greater air density, thus more bullet drag, and a lower point of impact. Also, the powder burn rate will likely be lower, again affecting POI. So, your zero will shift as temperature (more directly air density) changes. The scope should be fine operating in those conditions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#2]
All good to know information. thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARShooter91] [#3]
Let your rifle and ammo adjust to the outside temp before shooting and you'll be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top