Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2023 8:24:52 AM EDT
I'm looking for comparable options to the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 FFP. (I'm undecided which to commit to as far as MOA or MRAD, it's still new to me. That's another thread for another day).

I have watched several reviews about how they operate and I'm kinda really digging what Vortex have to offer on that specific platform. That being said, I am all about comparing things.

So, if I'm in the sub $1k price range what are some comparable optics out there I should also be looking at as a good option to the Strike Eagle?

This will be mounted to a new Bergara in 6.5 CM
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The Bushnell Match Pro ED is the new hotness for a bang for your buck scope. If you don't like that, I can personally vouch for the Athlon Ares BTR having better glass than a Strike Eagle, with less of the inconsistent QC of lower end vortex. If you're a Vortex fan, I'd get the viper over the strike eagle in your budget. There's also a lot of savings to be had by buying used off the EE.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By spectre3:
The Bushnell Match Pro ED is the new hotness for a bang for your buck scope. If you don't like that, I can personally vouch for the Athlon Ares BTR having better glass than a Strike Eagle, with less of the inconsistent QC of lower end vortex. If you're a Vortex fan, I'd get the viper over the strike eagle in your budget. There's also a lot of savings to be had by buying used off the EE.
View Quote
I'll look into those as well.

I'm not necessarily a Vortex fan, its just the scope that I kinda found a lot of info about. Then I started with the review videos on the Tube and they talked me into it. Naturally I don't want to just dive in head first and I want to compare a few. I am very new to longer range shooting, and for me it is anything beyond 200 with accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:41:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#3]
Get your hands on them and check them at higher power settings.  This is what makes or breaks a long range scope.

Turret tracking tests should also be done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Get your hands on them and check them at higher power settings.  This is what makes or breaks a long range scope.

Turret tracking tests should also be done.
View Quote
Both excellent ideas! Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
They both get you to the same place, I went milrad.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I started competitive shooting in the early 1980's. Everything was MOA at that time. That was how I learned long distance.

Fast forward to today, mil is the only way to go. Virtually all military and LEO training nowadays is in mildot.

I am stuck in my old training and am too old to start over on a new system at nearly 70 years old.

If I were you, I would embrace the mildot system and run with it. Both systems work. There is no denying that. It's just makes more sense to embrace the now, "universally" accepted, mil system and run with it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the recommendation on the Bushnell.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Figure out what you really want to spend. If $1000 is your max, watch the EE here and other sites. You will probably find used higher end models in your range.

usually people dropping $ on optics tend to take care of them.

A friend has a Strike Eagle, it's not bad. I had a Viper that I preferred more. Sold it to a friend when I upgraded.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
They both get you to the same place, I went milrad.
View Quote
Agreed.
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yup take a look at that Bushnell Match Pro ED. Lots of excellent features for under $1000. Also look for some deals on the Burris XTRIII 5-30. They are out there at $999. There are some great deals on the Burris XTRII out there now too.
View Quote
Will do, thank you. Truth be told I can get the Strike Eagle for just under 500. I was ready to pay the 800 until I found a coupon here and there. I will check the Burris options as well.
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I started competitive shooting in the early 1980's. Everything was MOA at that time. That was how I learned long distance.

Fast forward to today, mil is the only way to go. Virtually all military and LEO training nowadays is in mildot.

I am stuck in my old training and am too old to start over on a new system at nearly 70 years old.

If I were you, I would embrace the mildot system and run with it. Both systems work. There is no denying that. It's just makes more sense to embrace the now, "universally" accepted, mil system and run with it.

View Quote
Thank you for you response. This is where I found myself. I am familiar with MOA but really have not committed. Knowing what I know about where mil is going or where it is derived from, I'll just commit to mil, purchase my optic to match and move on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:
Figure out what you really want to spend. If $1000 is your max, watch the EE here and other sites. You will probably find used higher end models in your range.

usually people dropping $ on optics tend to take care of them.

A friend has a Strike Eagle, it's not bad. I had a Viper that I preferred more. Sold it to a friend when I upgraded.
View Quote
Agreed, most people that spend money, good money on things appreciate them a little more and care for them better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:24:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Mil is an angular measurement just like moa. If you can use one then you can use the other. Just change you ballistic program to mils. Then use your reticle like a ruler to make corrections. 1.2 mils low and .8 mils right in the reticle the. Dial up 1.2 and left .8 and you will hit. It's that simple. People way over complicate it.

Also never get a mil reticle and moa knobs. Always get knobs and reticle matching.
View Quote
That makes sense. When I started my research I was amazed that you could find scopes with both MOA and mil. That's a lot of math!
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 12:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Genin] [#15]
If you familiarize yourself with the way scopes are tested for light transmission, clarity, edge resolution, and how scopes are designed internally, pupil diameter and all the other data, it is a dizzying amount of information, but it will help you evaluate scopes at a level far greater than just price, features and internet reports of reliability.  Top Quality sure isn't cheap...

Some older Leupold scopes have a mil grid reticle, but the adjustments are MOA..you just have to know how to do the math.  Sure it is easier if both reticle and adjustments are the same, but I can learn either way.  I currently have scopes that are MOA/MOA, MIL/MIL, and MIL/MOA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#17]

No you just need to not buy one. Old tech is just that and makes your life harder. Work smarter, not harder. There is absolutely no reason to buy a moa/mil scope now.
View Quote
I'm going to halve to agree here.

Likewise, I think I'll just learn the MRAD way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

No you just need to not buy one. Old tech is just that and makes your life harder. Work smarter, not harder. There is absolutely no reason to buy a moa/mil scope now.
View Quote

I think I am smart but no way I would buy anything that was combo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25 is being clearanced at $650ish.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Intimdtr77:
Both excellent ideas! Thank you!
View Quote

Combine a box score with a Tall target test score and check everything with your shooting system target system..A box score tests how much the reticle moves when you adjust for windage and checks it returns to zero after..Long test does the same for elevation, also verifies if the guts of the scope are vertical and the bullet will hit where it is supposed to on high elevation changes..

Brian Litz for the video...

Scope Tracking: Tall Target Test | Applied Ballistics with Bryan Litz
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

View Quote

Personally doesn't matter to me, use the one that works best for your needs..but just because the cops and mil use it is not a reason to use it..I use what the most amount of people I shoot with use..of course they are hunters so I use MOA..nothing wrong with it and both will get you exactly there..but I mention anything mil around my buddies and they are lost..Use what works for you..ignore the rest....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Combine a box score with a Tall target test score and check everything with your shooting system target system..A box score tests how much the reticle moves when you adjust for windage and checks it returns to zero after..Long test does the same for elevation, also verifies if the guts of the scope are vertical and the bullet will hit where it is supposed to on high elevation changes..

Brian Litz for the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Wf0Cuwwi8
View Quote
Great video! Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top