Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2018 8:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BladedRonin]
Considering re-barreling my precision 308 in 6.5.  The BA barrels have a nice price point, but are they going to be good for this kind of application?

If not, what do yall recommend?

Keep it below $500

Update
021018*

Pulled the trigger on a Criterion 22" 6.5C from Brownells for $335

The sucky part is had to buy a new handguard, gas block, tube as well.  Drove the price of that barrel change up rapidly, dammit
(couldnt get my brake off the old 308 barrel. So gas block, tube, handguard are still on there. Handguard managed to unscrew so it literally came off w everything attached. If i want to build another all I need is a new BCG, charging handle and upper.  Prob will do that w another aero upper at some point)
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
At their price point (around $200), then BA barrel is a good barrel. But if you up the price point to $500 there are better barrels.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#2]
$500 limit? Lilja is a little bit more.

Shilen, Criterion are other excellent options.

ETA: nothing wrong with BA, but you can get a better barrel within your budget.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The BA 6.5 barrels are an affordable option that can produce great results. I’ve managed Sub MOA groups with factory Hornady 140 and 147’s, and great results with handloads and 142smk’s. Ran into a BCG issue that prevented me from shooting since, but I placed 3 that you could cover with a dime at 300yds (sub .2moa) and the next charge weight up was sub .35moa. Need to get that rifle back together.

I’m sure there are better barrels, but I’m certainly not rushing to grab something else to see if it can do better. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The only BA barrel I have personal experience with was absolutely atrocious.  It was a 20" .308 barrel.  After multiple attempts with a variety of different quality .308 ammo and handloads that would not group, the barrel was sold.

If you can spend up to 500.00, save for a bit longer and just get the JP.  You'll also get the HP bolt spaced to that barrel too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Updated*
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, you should be happy with the criterion.

For others looking, I did take my 6.5creed out briefly today to get it rezeroed after pulling the scope and replacing the BCG. Short range trip due to 40F temps and rain, but I’m happy with the results. Wish I didn’t center punch the bullseye with the first shot from my handloads group. The POA became larger, which I think caused the remaining 4 to be slightly higher. Still good enough for my uses.

All rounds fired..
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Took the BA back out again. It’s consistent, even with me shooting it, and I’m not good with a gas gun.

My girlfriends second time shooting a rifle, first time at 100yds. First 5 from the BA 6.5 creed barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top