Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2024 5:17:44 PM EDT
Is it common to be able to open a bolt face from whatever .233 is to a .470 for .308win based cartridges?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quite common, but you'll also have to redo the extractor. Might as well go with a Sako or M16 style since you're doing. Probably cost about the same as a PTG one piece bolt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be easier conversion not needing to solder a spacer in the bolt face but will need machining to add the extractor . I would purchase a Mackbros replacement bolt and sell your old bolt .  The price difference will be cheaper than labor to upgrade your old bolt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Do you have the action you want to convert already?
View Quote

Yes
Well, it arrives at the FFL tomorrow
Attachment Attached File

I’m going back and forth between building a 223 with a barrel profiled for my AEM5 suppressor but then I tell myself I already have some gas 5.56 target gun so maybe turn this into a 6 or 6.5
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:51:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#6]

How far you plan to shoot it? What use?
View Quote

Just targets
Local place goes to 11-1200?
My FIL shoots a pronghorn or two each year, a gun capable of legal Colorado hunting would be nice (6mm, 85gr)
(I have a 6.5g gas gun and a .3006)
Basically just another toy in the safe

I have a reloading setup but I don’t actively handload
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]

With the right barrel and bullet the .223 can make 1200 yards. I have shot mine to 1150 in matches. It's not easy when the wind is blowing but will do it.

Are you planning on basically scrapping everything but the action?
View Quote

Yes, figure the scope is trash, no idea if a pulled barrel has value, scrap the stock
Work with the bolt and receiver
And I guess the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeah you could get a Remage barrel and nut and put it on yourself. Then drop it in a chassis of choice and go. Not sure what your price range is for this but there are options in all.
View Quote

Heathen
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Is it common to be able to open a bolt face from whatever .233 is to a .470 for .308win based cartridges?
View Quote

You're getting a new barrel, might as well get a 1 piece bolt in the bolt face for the cartridge that you're getting. I went with Pacific tool & gauge.
For the caliber I wanted the Sako extractor was recommended. Got the straight bolt handle and Badger knob.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top