Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2020 2:17:21 PM EDT
Just purchased a howa 1500 to start shooting out to 500 yards. Looking at glass for it, think I've narrowed down to these two vortex models. Anyone have experience with either and have a recommendation?

Strike Eagle 4-24x50 with ebr4-moa

Or

PST Gen II 3-15x44 with EBR-7c MOA
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By mcccop_04:
Just purchased a howa 1500 to start shooting out to 500 yards. Looking at glass for it, think I've narrowed down to these two vortex models. Anyone have experience with either and have a recommendation?

Strike Eagle 4-24x50 with ebr4-moa

Or

PST Gen II 3-15x44 with EBR-7c MOA
View Quote
I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those, but I'd think about going MRAD on the reticles instead of MOA.  MRAD tends to be more versatile once you learn how to use it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the idea of a low magnification to start at in the 3-4x range. Upper magnification for me is negotiable depending on the scopes clarity and usefulness at higher magnifications. I'm new to this game so I'm always open to ideas. The 5-25x56 mrad is looking like a good deal especially with the first responder discount.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If it helps with suggestions this will be on a 6.5 creedmor, still deciding if I'll need a 0 or 20moa pic rail
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcccop_04] [#7]
20moa base it is. EGW and Talley seem to have good reputations, pair one with a set of vortex rings and I should be good to start shooting?

And that last part makes sense, have the extra magnification, no reason not to.

And I'll ask this question now, ring height suggestion?
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcccop_04:
...... is looking like a good deal especially with the first responder discount.
View Quote

If you mean the discount via govx be aware that you might have an excessively long wait for your order.  
The price you get will be, at most, marginally better than good online deals.  
I got a PST online for less than the govx mil discount price because I got a version with a discontinued reticle.  

I spoke with somebody at vortex about the wait issue, they said it's out of their hands because govx is effectively an independent contractor that many companies use to manage their discount programs.  They said they were working on their own system to get away from govx, but that was well over a year ago.  

Leupold and CZ are the only mil discounts I use now - they manage both of them themselves and have no delays in filling orders.  Their discount prices are also amazing since there is no overhead added to their prices by govx.  

As for the scope choice, I love my gen 2 PST and would recommend it in a heartbeat.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcccop_04] [#11]
Unfortunately budget had to come down due to other things. So throwing a PA 4-14x44 on it for now to at least get shooting. Hopefully soon she can get some real glass.

Thank you for all the suggestions
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I stopped at Scheels yesterday and looked through a Diamondback tactical. I ended up buying a demo version from eurooptic. $340 shipped. For my uses, which I’m guessing will never see beyond 600 yards, I think it will work just one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top