Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2020 4:58:22 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My daughter claimed my 10/22.  So for Christmas I made it to her liking.  It has some kidd parts, tandomkross parts.

She wanted a pink stock, I wanted it to have a thumbhole. Chose the boyds at one thumbhole. I picked up a kidd light weight 16.5 barrel.

I got it all together while she was out looking at xmas lights.  You can see in the pics the barrel is off to one side.  I tried to instal it a couple times to get it right but no go. She came home so I threw it in the safe.

Whats my best bet to start looking at in the morning?

I know this is a precision rimfire forum. I figure someone can help me out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody will come along shortly that's way more knowledgeable than me.  In the meantime I'd suggest browsing Rimfire Central forums specific to these 10-22 issues.  I think you'll find threads from folks with similar issues who have determined that the Boyd stock quality control has been the issue.  Some have returned the stock while others have modified the barrel channel to float the barrel along with bedding the action.

Others have found that in some instances that the barrel/receiver fit is not perfectly perpendicular causing this offset.  Good luck with your build & know you are a Great Dad!
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have posted on rfc, was told to look up receiver cant. not having much luck. I think Ill talk to 10/22 racerlife where I ordered it before I go messing with the wood.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to relieve the barrel channel slightly off a Boyd's Tacticool stock for a Savage 93R because it was doing this same thing.  Just take a dowel of similar diameter wrapped in sandpaper and keep sanding until its freefloated.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you gentlemen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed51] [#7]
Spoke with a gentleman at 10/22racerlife where I purchased the stock.  He said he would take it back no problem. He told me basically what you guys said.  

I found a one inch dowel, looked way to big. I would taken part of the top off to get to the channel.  I used a 1/2” pvc pipe. Wrapped it with 80grit and went to work.  I got the barrel free floated and it looks better. You can slide a dollar bill around the length of the barrel. I stepped up the grit to 800 to 1500 to smooth the channel out.  There was some serious rough spots.  
So since I sanded the channel should I reseal it with something? Nail polish or light cote of paint

I admit I was upset.  Thanks for the help. Looks a lot better.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
You could use a wood sealant so it appears more natural.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top