Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2020 7:42:51 PM EDT
I'm new to putting together a bolt action. A Howa 1500 .308 pretty much fell into my lap, and I've been wanting a precision bolt gun for a bit so here I am. I'm looking at a Vortex Viper PST with 50mm objective to mate with it.
Anyway I have NO IDEA what to do to put a scope on this. Seems like I could do regular or QD or fixed old-school rings, but they dont come with any MOA drop built in. Do I need 20 MOA of drop on my scope mounts? I plan on shooting this at no less than 600Y, and would attempt >1K when given the opportunity.
Then there's the question of ring height; I assume this is going to be dependent on if I go with a pic base or mount the rings directly on the receiver. Anyone know what ring height is needed for a 50mm objective to get as close as low as I can?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Spuhr.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
If that were my rifle I’d get a 20 MOA rail and rings from Seekins Precision.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MSC182:
If that were my rifle I’d get a 20 MOA rail and rings from Seekins Precision.
View Quote

Seekins doesnt make bases for Howa actions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m pretty sure the Howa’s do use 700 bases. If not, egw makes a 20moa base for them. That’s what comes on the howa bravos
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#6]
Turns out, the Howa long action is the same as the remington, but short action is different. So I think I'm going with a Nightforce 20MOA base. Are Vortex Pro rings decent budget rings? @Rob01
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Woodsy19:
I’m pretty sure the Howa’s do use 700 bases. If not, egw makes a 20moa base for them. That’s what comes on the howa bravos
View Quote

The EGW base looks good as well; they make one in steel too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Piggy backing...

What height rings do I need?

50mm objective lense
30mm tube.

Rifle is a Bergara ridge 300wm
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
you do have to look at everything.

bell diameter of course
Then usually forgotten is tube length, which is an issue if it is short and you use a picatinny especially an extended front.  If you need to slide the scope back to fit you the cone of the bell nears the front of the base.  
going with a 20 moa base and you are tipping the obj toward the barrel and raising the occular.  Now you surely need high rings and adj comb or stock pad to get a good cheek weld.  

I really should when I get to these dilemmas is to order all three ring heights and hang the uneeded ones on a peg hook or you could return them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Spuhr.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Also looking at how the size of the ocular lens assembly impacts where the bolt handle ends up. This PST 5-25x50 has a big eye-bell/lens assembly, so I and going to put some of my kids' silly putty on the base and mock up where I want the scope, measure, and use that to determine what height rings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently went with an Area 419 base and Hawkins Precision rings for my HMR Pro.  I'm pretty happy with them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

.92" height should work just fine. I use that height on my 50mm Razor II which has a larger occular than the PST and with bolt handles with large knobs.
View Quote

Thanks! What base is that on?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#19]
my weatherby vanguard [howa 1500 clone] has the tally med high swfa 42mm obj

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#20]
So these are 1" 'medium' vortex pro rings and EGW HD 20MOA base. Looks like i could go with low (.90") rings if I want, but I think its good to go.
Attachment Attached File

ETA: I went ahead with low rings and it works fine. Might have an issue if I go to an oversized bolt knob, but I dont plan on doing that with this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m a big fan of DNZ mounts, Game Reaper or 215 Tactical models for bolt actions (depending on the action) and Freedom Reaper mounts for AR’s. I don’t see DNZ recommended much but they are fantastic mounts and relatively inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QuickReactions] [#22]
I'm happy I found this thread. While terrific quality, my Larue rings (LT808, 1.375") are very high over the bore and I have to max out my adjustable cheek pad on my B-14 HMR. I was a complete n00b when it came to scoped rifles and had only ever bought a QD mount before. I now see that I can go with low rings (probably Seekins .97") and I'll be good to go. For reference, I have a Larue 20 MOA base and a Vortex Viper PST 5-25X50.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#23]
OP, do you remember all those math and science courses in school?  

Do you remember saying, "What the heck do I need to know all this for?"

Well,... now you know.  

It's too bad that schools no longer give real, interesting, practical applications for all the stuff they try to teach.  It really takes the fun out of it all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
OP, do you remember all those math and science courses in school?  

Do you remember saying, "What the heck do I need to know all this for?"

Well,... now you know.  

It's too bad that schools no longer give real, interesting, practical applications for all the stuff they try to teach.  It really takes the fun out of it all.
View Quote

For math to work you need data. I use math every day, but without knowing the dimensions of things like base heights and barrel thickness its kinda hard.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:58:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#25]
Originally Posted By bobfig:
my weatherby vanguard [howa 1500 clone] has the tally med high swfa 42mm obj

https://i.imgur.com/FeHRw9I.jpg
View Quote

Interesting.  Looks great and solid.

I run Talley steel rings and bases on my Custom Shop Remmy 700 pictured below and on several other bolt guns.  A bit different than the integrated ones above.  These can be run with QD levers or locked without the levers.  The bases have two locking lugs or shoulders, one for each end of the ring bottom.  Ring halves are married and precision machined as a unit with each half given matching numbers after machining.  The rings grip the base from the sides, so the ring is locked both fore-aft and side to side.

Some people frown on vertical split rings, but these have no discernible vices.  Strong, light, elegant.  Often found on rifles built by custom gunsmiths.  They do not, however, come with MOA elevation slope.

Talley does, however, have a 20 MOA Pic rail for the short action Howa and matching rings like mine but for a Pic base.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top