Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2020 11:18:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82]
Looks pretty promising, 34mm tube and illumination. They might have a new winner in the budget category! ($800 MSRP, $700 retail) https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-5-25x56-ffp.html?vortex_reticle=1500
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:30:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-180] [#1]
That looks good for $700.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
This is of great interest to me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If it has anything in common with other Strike Eagle scopes I would be very leery.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't seem to...etched reticle, Zero Stop, illumination, etc. Probably just reusing the name seeing as none of the Strike Eagles were even FFP.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:18:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BruceLeroy] [#7]
The real question is...did you make enough to survive the initial rush?
I'm really digging the specs and pricing. It's gonna be hard to beat this in this price range.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
And if you are LE/Mil/Fire you can get them for under $500. That is a great deal.
View Quote

I just wish I knew if they were in stock.  The place they use for that deal is notorious for slow shipping/backorders.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Vortex, what will this do that the diamond back tactical  wont?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]

There's not just one place. Vendors give those deals too if you call. A buddy called Sport Optics and was given that price.
View Quote

Thanks.

Also to anyone with experience how does this glass compare to the 6-24 PST GEN 1?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Vortex definitely has their shit together. I am SO glad they finally brought viable competition to the Leupold VX5HD with their Razor LHT. I already have so many Gen II Vipers i dont foresee a use for the new 5-25 Strike Eagle but man does it look nice. I am almost to a dozen optics by them at this point and that number grows every year. I will be picking up an LHT for a rifle that used to wear a VX5 so i can test them both out
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Made in China or the Philippines?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:59:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: XJ700AWR] [#17]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
When, and where can we get one? Too bad they are made in china.There are alot of folks  In this country  that refuse to buy anything Chinese  after this present shit show we are dealing with.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:22:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waxman] [#22]
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
Should start shipping out this week. Al over at AAOptics actually had/has a couple in stock as of today that were up on his website last we checked. We're on time with things - a little slower paced than usual, but still on time.

As for the China issue, we get it, especially in a time like this. First off, and it probably goes without saying, it's not like we started development on this scope last month. These things take years to finally come to fruition. It's a great optic designed, tested, engineered, sold and backed by an American company with American ideals and a pretty extensive list of other products not made in China, too. The only reason we're able to employ as many Americans as we do or work on unique projects like the overwhelmingly American-made AMG stuff and some other stuff we can't even talk about yet is because products like this provide so many customers an incredible value and keep the lights on around here.

We get it, though - this latest situation is still fresh and entirely unique, and there are a lot of emotions/opinions swirling around. If people choose to refuse to purchase any products made in China, they are more than welcome to do so. Just looking at our line there are plenty of other options made in places like the Philippines or Japan. If anyone prefers American only, it's hard to argue against the scope that's hand-built in Barneveld, WI with American-made components and, very uniquely, even lenses made in the USA (Except the German-made reticle...) in our Razor HD AMG. It's the best scope we make. It also happens to be $2500... If people start buying even more of those, we'll start making even more of them! Pretty low volume product, though, relatively speaking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waxman:
When, and where can we get one? Too bad they are made in china.There are alot of folks  In this country  that refuse to buy anything Chinese  after this present shit show we are dealing with.
Should start shipping out this week. Al over at AAOptics actually had/has a couple in stock as of today that were up on his website last we checked. We're on time with things - a little slower paced than usual, but still on time.

As for the China issue, we get it, especially in a time like this. First off, and it probably goes without saying, it's not like we started development on this scope last month. These things take years to finally come to fruition. It's a great optic designed, tested, engineered, sold and backed by an American company with American ideals and a pretty extensive list of other products not made in China, too. The only reason we're able to employ as many Americans as we do or work on unique projects like the overwhelmingly American-made AMG stuff and some other stuff we can't even talk about yet is because products like this provide so many customers an incredible value and keep the lights on around here.

We get it, though - this latest situation is still fresh and entirely unique, and there are a lot of emotions/opinions swirling around. If people choose to refuse to purchase any products made in China, they are more than welcome to do so. Just looking at our line there are plenty of other options made in places like the Philippines or Japan. If anyone prefers American only, it's hard to argue against the scope that's hand-built in Barneveld, WI with American-made components and, very uniquely, even lenses made in the USA (Except the German-made reticle...) in our Razor HD AMG. It's the best scope we make. It also happens to be $2500... If people start buying even more of those, we'll start making even more of them! Pretty low volume product, though, relatively speaking.

Wow now that is one hell of an answer.You need to start doing the writing  for political campaigns. I have scoured every optic made to find the perfect  nrl 22 scope.I did buy a Athlon tac, but am not in love with it.I am the biggest fan in the world of the pst gene  5-25, so this should be a perfect  companion for it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine is on the way through ExpertVoice!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#24]
The viper PST gen 2 5x25x50 can be found for $799.  Newbie to decent glass, so please help me here.  Get the new strike eagle 5x25x50 or the viper pst gen 2 5x25x50?  Please explain why you'd choose on or the other?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Vortex just mic dropped I believe
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I was all set to order one of these,  but there 2 issues that I don't think I could live with. Now maybe more experienced  rifle match shooters can correct  me, if i am wrong.
#1, What possible purpose does a zero stop serve if it does not stop the turret on your zero?
I would think in a match or anytime  really, you would want to be able to just turn  your turret back to your known zero and shoot, or knowingly  readjust from zero.Why would you want to deal with those  extra 5 clicks  past zero?If there was truly a target closer then zero, wouldn't you just use your reticle?

#2.When I watched the guy in the video turn the turrets,  they do not rise out of the scope. On my pst gen2, and my nightforce,  you know exactly  how many rotations you have on the turret by the little scale as the turret rises.There was no rising on the strike eagle.Without turning  all the way down to zero, and restarting ,how do you know where  you are? 1 revolution,  6 revolutions?

I  would like to hear VortexOptics  reasoning  on this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:54:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#27]
I'll take a stab at it..most people recommend going past the click value you want by at least a few clicks, then coming back to the right mark..it is designed to make sure the adjustment moves completely..the zero stop is very simple to use, screw down till the knob stops, then simply click back up the 5 clicks to zero..And sometimes people want to be able to adjust down under their zero, especially if they have a longer zero set then 100 yards...

As for no rev indicator that moves with the turret..meh, the turret has 2 sets of numbers to represent both the first revolution, and then the second revolution...so its pretty easy to know where you are...If it works the same way my razor does it will just do slightly over 2 full revolutions..pretty easy to keep track of, or at least it has been on my razor...

And just so the man can answer....@VortexOptics
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I'll take a stab at it..most people recommend going past the click value you want by at least a few clicks, then coming back to the right mark..it is designed to make sure the adjustment moves completely..the zero stop is very simple to use, screw down till the knob stops, then simply click back up the 5 clicks to zero..And sometimes people want to be able to adjust down under their zero, especially if they have a longer zero set then 100 yards...

As for no rev indicator that moves with the turret..meh, the turret has 2 sets of numbers to represent both the first revolution, and then the second revolution...so its pretty easy to know where you are...If it works the same way my razor does it will just do slightly over 2 full revolutions..pretty easy to keep track of, or at least it has been on my razor...

And just so the man can answer....@VortexOptics
View Quote

I could be wrong ,but in the vortex video, it showed the turret making several complete rotations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Waxman:

I could be wrong ,but in the vortex video, it showed the turret making several complete rotations.
View Quote

Look at the numbers..its 0-25 for one full revolution on the MOA scope, then in parenthesis() it goes from 26 to 49, which is 2 full turns of the zero stop, then it will go up some amount more for  what is the 3rd turn depending on where your adjuster ends up based on the mount(-0-/20moa/40moa)... on my razor thats a max of 21 moa with a 20 moa mount....
 I just doubt it is that hard to use, I never look at the indicator pin on my razor, I turn it up and if I question where its at I just quickly crank it back to the zero stop and go again...
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#31]
110 MOA of adjustment, 25 moa each full rotation. If you have a 20, or 30 moa rail, you will likely have more then  2 full turns.Full range of the turret is four and change.
As I mentioned,  I have never shot a sanctioned rifle match, but I do shoot alot on my range with friends. If I am shooting at say, 600, and need to get back to my 200 yard zero, I just crank till the turret stops.If I needed to go to 300, I crank to zero, and then count what's needed  from my zero.I would hate to do all of that, and then have to count out 5 individual  clicks each time.
Can you answer,  why you wouldn't just use your reticle for targets closer then your zero?

I now have a second pst gen 2, so it doesn't  really matter to me anymore  either way.I am just citing the reasons, I decided  against this scope.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine arrives Monday.  Anyone received one?  How's the glass clarity?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Yup I got mine the other day. Glass is actually very good for the price range. Good wide FOV at 25x and the knobs feel good and clicks are audible and tactile although not as much as a Razor or the PST Gen II. For the price though it's a hell of a lot of scope. You will be happy with yours when it  shows up. I am just waiting on my rings to show up to get mine mounted.
View Quote

Thanks.  Hope to go sight mine in tuesday morning.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
If it has anything in common with other Strike Eagle scopes I would be very leery.
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#39]
So a PST made in China.....no thanks.

Vortex, as an American company, I appreciate what you’re doing, but I hard pass on anything you have produced in China.  My voice as a customer is to ask you to pull out of China completely.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JazzFan:
The viper PST gen 2 5x25x50 can be found for $799.  Newbie to decent glass, so please help me here.  Get the new strike eagle 5x25x50 or the viper pst gen 2 5x25x50?  Please explain why you'd choose on or the other?
View Quote

PST2 hands down.  Spend the couple hundred for something not made in China.  Vortex’s China factory makes all of their low end stuff.  IMHO, it’s worth the couple hundred to upgrade to the non-China made optics.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#43]
No.... The PST is physically made in the Philippines.

A change like that would/will take time. Just because it hasn't happened over night doesn't mean it isn't being investigated or that we simply don't care. There are just more variables than many people realize or care to pay attention to.

View Quote

Apologies, my statement was that this Strike Eagle 5-25 is basically a cheaper made in China PST.  I understand that the actual PST is made in your PI plant.  I just really can’t support the Chinese SE with my money when it’s basically a Chinese cheap version of a product that’s already available.

Hope you guys do end up pulling out of China, and hope that you are seriously considering that, and I fully understand that’s not a quick or easy thing to do.  But it is the right thing to do, and I think your customer base would agree.  I’ll continue buying your non Chinese stuff regardless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoSierra] [#47]
Originally Posted By VortexOptics:
Nice! Sounds about right. And yes indeed the FOV on the SE is actually larger so that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback thus far!
View Quote

I for one am very happy about this offering. I don't care about the logistics, or where something is made, just that it's from a reputable company like Vortex who will stand behind it, and most importantly that it works well for my application. I'll be buying one this next pay day. Can't wait to try it out. It will be replacing my old reliable Vortex HS 5x15 mildot SFP. So a huge step up!

eta. Just ordered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#49]
For use on that .22, does it have a clear image if you dial it down to 25 yards?

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top