Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Setting 1 up as a 6dasher and the other up as a 224 Valkyrie/6creedmoor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#2]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
So who all has one ordered and what are you going to do with it?
View Quote
6.5 Creedmoor 17" Marksman contour from PVA is my current pick.  I might go Proof carbon fiber, but I really want something shorter than the current 22" prefit offering.  I've only got 600yds to shoot currently, so I don't need the length.  I've inquired if they will offer shorter barrels, but I haven't got a response yet.

KRG bravo in Sako green
Steiner T5Xi 3-15
Dead Air MB with a Sandman K or S.
Scope mount - undecided

I've still got some 6.5 Grendel to shoot, so I'm in no rush.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I ordered a Nucleus barreled action in .223.

I have another Nucleus on order that I will use for a hunting gun. Not decided on caliber yet. Would love a proof barrel chambered in 7 saum but that may be cost prohibitive.
View Quote
A pair of Nuclei.  One is getting a heavy Palma (wish it was an M24, but no biggie) 7.5” twist in 6 Dasher, the other is going to be a 6.5x47.  Haven’t ordered that barrel yet.

I’m certain I’ll add another couple of boltheads, and probably a Manners of some sort to use for hunting.

Also ordered a pair of Barlocs for the Nucleus setup with the shouldered barrel option to fit the Barloc.  I’m thinking this will be a cleaner look than the Barloc + barrel nut, you get your choice of conventional profiles, and will obviously be easier to swap barrels since neither a vise nor action wrench is needed.

It’s crazy how modular everything has become in the last year.   I’m loving it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
I ordered two Origin actions one large one small bolt face. I hope to do a 6.5 creedmoor and matching 223 trainer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m6z:
These $750 & $850 actions plus the KRG Bravo stocks are going to get a lot of more people into custom rifles.  I've wanted to build something on a Bighorn action for years, but at $1350 action, $400-900 for a barrel and $1,100 for the Manners mini chassis stock that I wanted, plus glass....  It was just to damn much money for something that wouldn't get that much use.

Now.

Bighorn Origin $750
KRG Bravo $350
Savage Pre-fit with muzzle threads $400-900
Timmy trigger $100

$1,600 with a Criterion pre-fit with muzzle threads

No reason to buy a Tikka and put it in a stock/chassis when you can start with a custom action for a very similar price point and build exactly what you want.
View Quote
If the Origin holds the same manufacturing consistency of the TL3s, you won’t need the barrel nut prefits
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]

I ordered a Nucleus barreled action in .223.

I have another Nucleus on order that I will use for a hunting gun. Not decided on caliber yet. Would love a proof barrel chambered in 7 saum but that may be cost prohibitive.
View Quote
I ordered the John Hancock in 6 dasher, so short action on that one.  Ordered a long action Nucleus with mag and standard boltfaces for a hunting rifle build.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

If the Origin holds the same manufacturing consistency of the TL3s, you won’t need the barrel nut prefits
View Quote
True.  PVA is offering shoulded barrels for $525.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/replacement-match-barrel-bighorn-arms-tl3-origin-receiver/
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have one of these new actions yet and what are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#9]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Does anyone have one of these new actions yet and what are your thoughts?
View Quote
Lenny has one and has been running it for a few months. Hopefully he can chime in.

I won’t be able to really run my pair till next weekend. Should be on the lathe next Friday and running load development on Saturday. Hope to resume precision testing of some AR’s as well.

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#10]

6.5 Creedmoor 17" Marksman contour from PVA is my current pick.  I might go Proof carbon fiber, but I really want something shorter than the current 22" prefit offering.  I've only got 600yds to shoot currently, so I don't need the length.  I've inquired if they will offer shorter barrels, but I haven't got a response yet.

KRG bravo in Sako green
Steiner T5Xi 3-15
Dead Air MB with a Sandman K or S.
Scope mount - undecided

I've still got some 6.5 Grendel to shoot, so I'm in no rush.
View Quote
Current parts in hand.

Bighorn Origin
PVA 22" 6.5 Creedmoor Marksman contour
Triggertech Special
Q Full Nelson - waiting on approval

Still need to make up my mind on the stock/chassis and glass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:41:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#11]
Only have 8rds downrange, but so far, the Nucleus isn’t bad. Closing the bolt has been reported as being a bit stiffer than some customs, but it really isn’t bad if you are applying forward pressure. I think a Defiance, Impact or Bighorn will be easier, but once the Nucleus starts to close, it cams over and locks quickly. The Barloc isn’t the most asthetically pleasing option, but it works very well. Setting the headspace was a breeze and I felt like it really secured the barrel without needing a barrel vise/action wrench.

Initial group trying to get it zero’d in the fog with a load for another rifle. First rd was on me; not used to a trigger this light. Remaining shots indicate the rifle has potential.

Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Strange, one can get a trued 700 from a well-known online retailer for under $500.  What does one gain by going aftermarket which is worth 300-400 over that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#13]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Strange, one can get a trued 700 from a well-known online retailer for under $500.  What does one gain by going aftermarket which is worth 300-400 over that?
View Quote
I'm assuming you're comparing against the Bighorn Arms Origin. If so....

Floating bolt head
Pinned recoil lug
Nitrided finish
Spiral fluted bolt body
Knob of your choice
Controlled feed
Mechanical ejector
Savage barrel shank threading

Im seriously considering abandoning my last R700 build and going with one of these. At $875 they're a pretty damn good deal

For more reading check this webpage out. Compares some of the custom actions. The origin isn't on there but it shares features with the TL3 from which it is based.

The NSS have the base level of truing done to the action.  You need to add a recoil lug and rail to them which brings the price up another $75 (factoring some extra for shipping costs.  If you go with their recoil lug you either need to machine that action for the pin or buy into their tooling setup.  They're angling you towards buying their $25 tool which goes with a modified wheeler action wrench head $25 or the whole wrench $60.  So add another $50-85.  You're base reciever at $425-$445 jumps to $500-525 just for the lug and rail.  If you buy the tools you're now at $550-$610.  It's up to you if you think the Origin has $245-$325 in improvements over a stock action (assuming you buy their tooling system, which I probably would if I went this route).

Personally I think the upgrades/features the Bighorn provides are worth the money vs a remage build up using a NSS action. I haven't looked much into the REMAGE barrels but at first glance they seem to be more expensive and you have fewer options to choose from. I may be wrong about that though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
View Quote
Strange, why spend all that money on a receiver when you can get a Howa barreled action from Brownells.com for the same money?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Strange, why spend all that money on a receiver when you can get a Howa barreled action from Brownells.com for the same money?
View Quote
Familiarity and aftermarket support are going to be the two most likely reasons. Not ragging on the Howas as they're the current day best deal from what I see. The FN SPR A1s that CDNN blew out a few years back were very similar in that regards.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
For me, I can't buy a Howa in 6BR, 6x47L, or 223AI.

Last gun I built, I wanted a 1:7 twist 223.  Nobody made one, including Howa, so I built a rifle on a Remington action with a Remage barrel but I would like some custom features like a threaded bolt knob and a small firing pin.  Also, custom actions are so smooth compared to factory actions.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

Lenny has one and has been running it for a few months. Hopefully he can chime in.

I won’t be able to really run my pair till next weekend. Should be on the lathe next Friday and running load development on Saturday. Hope to resume precision testing of some AR’s as well.

https://i.imgur.com/USKr35C.jpg
View Quote
Been using mine for a few months. I didn’t want to switch rifles mid season so no matches with it yet.

It’s a very fast action to cycle. It is also smooth with upwards pressure on the bolt when pulling back, which my Bighorn was not.

I have had no issues closing the bolt but did have one slight primer strike. I am running the stock 16lb spring and have not cleaned out the bolt. Triggertech diamond.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#18]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
I haven't looked much into the REMAGE barrels but at first glance they seem to be more expensive and you have fewer options to choose from. I may be wrong about that though.
View Quote
All the other stuff notwithstanding (floating bolt head is completely unnecessary, pinned recoil lug anyone with half a thimble of knowledge about guns can do, nitrided finish--molyresin, bolt knob and fluting can be done for a benjamin--if not less--so you're paying $400+ for CRF and mechanical ejection (and if that's what you wanna do you spend that money kiddo, i ain't stoppin ya)), they're $300.  How is that *MORE* expensive than even getting a Criterion blank and having a smith chamber/install?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top