Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 7:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods]
I am humbly asking for honest and sincere advice here.    At this time, I don't know what to think or feel...  other than being "confused".

I bought this rifle, (a Ruger 10/22 Target model (Model 1262)), new, a few years ago.   Immediately, I dropped in trigger upgrades and replaced the bolt hold open.    Then I mounted a 3X9 and went to town.   I was very please with it.  It seemed to meet my expectations of grouping very well, after figuring out that it preferred std vel ammo.  That made a noticeable difference.

Since then, I have had the action bedded and barrel free floated in the factory stock.   The thing looks completely stock.

I am now going to mount Mueller 8.5-25×50 AO Eraticator on it.  I have it, but I have yet to mount it.      

(Continued...)
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods] [#1]
Here is where I need some kind but honest help.    Everything I have read here on AR15.COM seeming to say Ruger 10/22s just are not very accurate, especially those with factory barrels.   Am I in for major disappointments down the road?  

All of mine that I have shot much are stainless, if that matters.  

I have one that is set up for Appleseed with iron sights, aftermarket trigger and bolt hold open, and a factory tapper barrel.  (See the one in the middle.)   It shoots well.  

My threaded, stainless takedown has the same treatment, but fiber optic sights.    It shoots well, within the limitations of non-target sights.  

I have not even shot my "classic" blued and wood 10/22.      

Honestly, am I unrealistically positive about my "Target Model"?    To me, with CCI STD VEL, it tore tiny groups easily.   I am not expecting it will ever be a match to the ultimate precision 22 bolt guns.   But, it certainly seems to be a "precision" semi auto, probably good enough for NRL.  

Am I way off base?   My impression from readying across AR15.COM is that all factory barreled 10/22s are just fine plinkers, but that is the extent of it.     It would seem that my "Target Model" is to be treated like a moped/scooter.   The message seems to be that I can enjoy it, but don't let anyone see/catch me trying to seriously attempt to shoot tiny groups with it.    What is the truth?   Am I heading into disappointment and embarrassment?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:13:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: poppinsexz] [#2]
With 22s It’s really all in the ammo.
Try all the different types of ammo you can find.
Then once you find the best , order that lot in quantity.

Also try getting some lapua, rws eley, or sk.  
I really do well with the sk and rws, you might not shoot any more cci after seeing what some of those will do.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and my experience is the same as yours, the factory “spiral” heavy barrel shoots lights out with cci st. vel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You should have patterned it with various ammo before you made any changes. You really don’t know if you improved things or not. I have some factory barrels that shot good and some not so good. Try Eley 10x.  It is about the best there is.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Really depends on what you are trying to do with the gun.

Ruger factory barrels are pretty good but compared to some aftermarket barrels the chambers are a bit sloppy . I am thinking Ruger does that to keep the reliability up there. Most of the real tight chamber aftermarket barrels can shoot better but as they get dirty reliability tends to fall off .

Yes CCI std is way better than most any high velocity but when you start shooting at longer distances and with better guns some of the better match ammo will outclass it.

It becomes a game to combine the best of parts and ammo to see what you can do.

As far as I have seen even the best 10/22 trigger is in the neighborhood of a pound to a pound and a half and while that is pretty nice it is off the scale when compared to say a Anschutz match gun .

A new Anschutz is a heep of cash (3$K+optic) but a used gun without optic can be found for something like $600-$800
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't believe everything you read on arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
buy a box of each of several different manufacturers' ammo.

Figure out which one shoots best in your rifle.

Go back and buy 5000 rds of that ammo, hopefully from the same lot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ruger Custom Competition with a factory barrel and it is very accurate. It out shoots my CZ Varmint Precision Trainer with a Lija match barrel. I only shoot subsonic ammo since I am always using a suppressor. S K Standard Plus, Wolf Match Extra and Lapua Center X ( my favorite).
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d try some different ammo. The SK stuff is good for the money. I just don’t buy into CCI standard velocity shooting lights out. I’ve tried that in my B14r, Vudoo and a 10/22 with a Feddersen match barrel. The CCI shot around 1moa on occasion in the B14r, but it was atrocious in the others. Some groups would put 3-4 in a decent group, but most had fliers.

SK LR- 10/22 w/ Feddersen barrel
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
I’d try some different ammo. The SK stuff is good for the money. I just don’t buy into CCI standard velocity shooting lights out. I’ve tried that in my B14r, Vudoo and a 10/22 with a Feddersen match barrel. The CCI shot around 1moa on occasion in the B14r, but it was atrocious in the others. Some groups would put 3-4 in a decent group, but most had fliers.

https://i.imgur.com/yfWG8lo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x6pOtFJ.jpg
View Quote

Neither of my precision 22 rifles likes CCI SV ammo. I sold all of mine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _disconnector_] [#11]
You only need 3-4 MOA for Appleseed . . . you'll be fine with pretty much anything that goes bang.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
You should have patterned it with various ammo before you made any changes. You really don’t know if you improved things or not. I have some factory barrels that shot good and some not so good. Try Eley 10x.  It is about the best there is.
View Quote

I did try various brands and varieties within brands.    As expected, much of the bulk ammo did not do particularly well, with the notable exception of Blazer.    It was a surprise.    It was not not like target ammo, but it was the best of the bulk ammo.    I also found Fiocchi Std Vel did reasonably well, but not nearly as well as CCI STD VEL.  

After I found it had some potential, I had the action bedded and barrel free floated in the factory stock.   That was a slight improvement but not world changing.

I have not found any dedicated target ammo in this area in years.   Hope that changes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Ruger factory barrels are pretty good but compared to some aftermarket barrels the chambers are a bit sloppy . I am thinking Ruger does that to keep the reliability up there. Most of the real tight chamber aftermarket barrels can shoot better but as they get dirty reliability tends to fall off .
View Quote

While that is generally true, Ruger supposedly uses tighter chambers in some guns, including some target and tactical models.    It is advised that certain ammo, "can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles, including the Ruger 10/22 Target and Tactical rifles", as stated in the 10/22 manuals.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:16:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods] [#14]
As far as I have seen even the best 10/22 trigger is in the neighborhood of a pound to a pound and a half and while that is pretty nice it is off the scale when compared to say a Anschutz match gun .
View Quote

That is a great point.    I think I have that gun set up at about 24 ounces, almost no take up, and no noticeable overtravel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods] [#15]
A new Anschutz is a heep of cash (3$K+optic) but a used gun without optic can be found for something like $600-$800
View Quote

Please forgive my ignorance.    Are such rifles semi autos?
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
S K Standard Plus, Wolf Match Extra and Lapua Center X ( my favorite).
View Quote

After I get that scope mounted,  I am going on a hunt for target specific ammo to see how much better it shoots than CCI STD VEL.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:25:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods] [#17]
https://i.imgur.com/yfWG8lo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x6pOtFJ.jpg
View Quote

Those photos look like the comparison I had of Blazer and CCI STD VEL out of the Target Model 1262.   I am sure your gun and ammo are both better.   But, comparatively, the results represent a similar comparison.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:29:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods] [#18]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
You only need 3-4 MOA for Appleseed . . . you'll be fine with pretty much anything that goes bang.
View Quote

That is the purpose of this one I had set up for Appleseed with aftermarket iron sights, aftermarket trigger, and modified bolt hold open, and a factory tappered barrel.  (See the one in the middle.)   It shoots well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By oldmanofthewoods:

Those photos like the comparison I had of Blazer and CCI STD VEL out the Target Model 1262.   I am sure your gun and ammo are both better.   But, comparatively, the results represent a similar comparison.
View Quote

Visually, the actual bullet of the CCI standard ammo had imperfections. Instead of being smooth, they had some imperfections that could be seen with the naked eye. I didn’t chrono them, but I’d venture to guess that the standard deviation is pretty high with them as well. While not a bad option, they just aren’t a great value to me when you can get much better consistency for an extra 1.50$ per box in SK std.

If looking for SK or Lapua, your best bet will be shopping online. Most local gun shops may not carry them unless there is a strong competition presence in your area. Good luck, and if you decide to replace a barrel, the Feddersen are worth looking at. I was pleasantly surprised at what they can do for a sub 175$ barrel. I hope to test it along with my other .22’s tomorrow. I’ll try to run a 5x5 with the Blazer ammo since I’ve got a few bricks on hand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:05:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldmanofthewoods] [#20]
Visually, the actual bullet of the CCI standard ammo had imperfections. Instead of being smooth, they had some imperfections that could be seen with the naked eye. I didn’t chrono them, but I’d venture to guess that the standard deviation is pretty high with them as well. While not a bad option, they just aren’t a great value to me when you can get much better consistency for an extra 1.50$ per box in SK std.

If looking for SK or Lapua, your best bet will be shopping online. Most local gun shops may not carry them unless there is a strong competition presence in your area. Good luck, and if you decide to replace a barrel, the Feddersen are worth looking at. I was pleasantly surprised at what they can do for a sub 175$ barrel. I hope to test it along with my other .22’s tomorrow. I’ll try to run a 5x5 with the Blazer ammo since I’ve got a few bricks on hand.
View Quote

First, thank you and the others who have contributed in this thread.   It is sounding like my gun may have some real potential.

I believe and understand your point regarding the CCI STD VEL.   I will take your advice on trying to get some real target ammo.

I found the Blazer to be better than Federal "Auto Match" but not close to the CCI STD VEL in comparison.  

To be absolutely transparent,  I could afford to build and/or buy a 22 just about however I want it.   Like most here, I throw resources (time, work/man hours, and/or money) at the guns I really want.   In this case, this rifle was/is to be a little bit of a sleeper with as much of a factory box stock Ruger 10/22 appearance as possible but yet provide "precision rifle" performance.    I won't change out the barrel, stock, or bolt (the barrel and bolt are distinctive to the Target model).     I have already had the action bedded and barrel free floated in the factory stock.   However, I could have the bolt and chamber/breech face of the barrel matched.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Your next logical step is to send your barrel and bolt to CPC for their tune up job.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
50yds
16.25” Feddersen barrel
Wind 4-8mph

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#23]
50yds
16.25” Feddersen barrel
Wind 4-8mph
https://i.imgur.com/8C0oROa.jpg
View Quote

You are doing God's work.   Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought that same rifle a few years ago when Centerfire had them on clearance. I had Morgan cut the barrel to 18" and thread it. I initially stuck it in a Magpul stock but I want to get a KRG chassis for it so I put my other 10/22 in the Magpul stock. The target trigger is slightly better than the regular one but still sucks. I'm debating the pros and cons of something like a Kidd trigger to sending mine to Brimstone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 3:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#25]
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
I bought that same rifle a few years ago when Centerfire had them on clearance. I had Morgan cut the barrel to 18" and thread it. I initially stuck it in a Magpul stock but I want to get a KRG chassis for it so I put my other 10/22 in the Magpul stock. The target trigger is slightly better than the regular one but still sucks. I'm debating the pros and cons of something like a Kidd trigger to sending mine to Brimstone.
View Quote

Long post, sorry

I shoot my 22 rifles a lot, it’s cheap but more importantly my gun club has a nice little 50 yard range that is rimfire only. Covered bench rest, target stands at 25 and 50, and various steel targets at 25 and 50.

I have several triggers modified by Brimstone.

2 - Tier 3, these make the stock trigger very comparable to the BX trigger.
2 - Tier 2, this is a fantastic trigger
1 - Modified BX trigger, this one is great and I can’t imagine I would shoot better with anything more expensive
1 - T/C R22 modified trigger.  Equal to the BX trigger above, just as Brimstone  said it would be.

I also have a Kidd trigger.  Bought it off the EE here, it’s the $250 single stage trigger.  It’s maybe infinitely crisper let off than the modified BX trigger, but they are very close.  It also has a little tit on the rear of the housing, works with some stocks just fine, of course the one I wanted to use had to be relieved a little.

Barrels

* I have two Ruger 10/22 stainless target models, the ones with the twist pattern on the exterior of the barrel. Brimstone Tier 2 trigger
First one was bought from CDNN, gray laminate stock, plastic trigger housing.  It’s a very good shooter.
* 10/22 Target #2, Older gun, metal trigger housing and brown laminate stock.  This one is an excellent shooter.  I don’t have anything that will outshoot this one. This one has the Brimstone modified BX trigger.
* I have another CDNN gun, this one is a Volquartsen with a carbon fiber barrel and an American flag paint job.  I swapped the thumb hole stock for a Hogue stock, shoots equally well and I prefer the ergonomics of the Hogue.

The rest of my 10/22s are a hodge parts of parts I’ve put together.
* Charger receiver with a carbon fiber wrapped Volquartsen barrel and a Tier 2 Brimstone trigger. This one and the VQ above are both very good shooters.
* Charger receiver with a Green Mountain fluted Bull barrel. This one has a Tier 3 or a BX trigger, I can’t tell them apart. Another very good shooter.
10/22 receiver with the best of 15-20 factory sporter barrels I’ve had over the years.  BX or Tier 3 trigger.  This gun shoots cheap ammo very well, CCI Blazer is my go to for cheap, accurate 22LR.
* I also have two Chargers with braces, red dots, and BX triggers. Thes little guns are a blast, I highly recommend them.
* The T/C R22 is a bit disappointing.  I’ve had two and the typically good barrel from T/C was left off the TCR22, accuracy is OK for a plinker, maybe equal to the average 10/22 sporter barrel.  And you need a spacer to mount a 10/22 barrel, or vice versa.  I decided to keep the more accurate gun and sold the other one. I love the Magpul/T/C stock, especially for a lightweight gun.
* And finally, the one I’ve been working with lately.  It’s a tactical innovations receiver, Fedderson 16 inch fluted sporter barrel, and currently has the Kidd trigger in it. Still working with it, but it looks promising.

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Great post, bro. Everything I've read about the stainless heavy target barrels is positive. So you think it's worth it to pick up a BX trigger and have Brimstone work it over?
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#27]
OP, shoot some groups and post pics.

Try and shoot the tiniest groups you have ever shot.  Shoot at 50 yards.  Repeat at 100 yards and 200 yards.  

Post pics.

P.S. - I use SK Standard and Wolf Match Extra in my 22 rifle.  They both yield decently small groups at an affordable price.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
Great post, bro. Everything I've read about the stainless heavy target barrels is positive. So you think it's worth it to pick up a BX trigger and have Brimstone work it over?
View Quote

Absolutely, a Brimstone tuned BX trigger is exactly what I’d do if I needed another trigger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Your initial post seem to say you were happy with the level of performance the rifle is giving you.
That is all that matters.
Some people are willing to spend thousands of dollars to add that last hair of accuracy to the rifle.
Some also are trying to build the  10/22 that will compete with the best bolt guns out there.
Others seem frustrated when they can’t get a rifle to a certain performance level ( without realizing they shouldn’t even be trying)

I personally am what I refer to as the crown prince of good enough-
If I get a gun ( or car butter knife lawn mower whatever) to perform the way I need for a particular shooting I do, I say good enough and stop tinkering or messing with things.

It is a bout thresholds and standards - for x activity rifle must maintain Y accuracy - if it does stop screwing with it. Also out of the gate be realistic if that platform is even realistic to use as a base to achieve the threshold standard
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Couple more points-
One persons lights out is another’s totally unacceptable- I have gotten into nrl22 and prs type rimfire matches, and some of our 50 yard targets are 1/2 the size of a postage stamp and some 100 yard targets are  about 2” diameter. Very little room for error.

Ammo is critical don’t even waste time or money trying to get any high velocity or bulk ammo to shoot well. Except for a rare freak of nature the stars aligned just right occurrence it won’t be accurate.

The chances of an expensive European made ammo giving best result is essentially 100%.

And when testing ammo, the recommendation is to waste 15-20 rounds when switching brands to season the bore before settling down to group testing.

When we stretch the 22 way beyond 100 yards the difference in ammo becomes dramatic to say the least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top