Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2020 2:01:51 PM EDT
Looking for a good reloading scale at a reasonable price, not looking to spend big money. But want decent accuracy as well

I have tried this scale, but it jumps around 0.8-0.1gr randomly and it's pissing me off. It met an unfortunate demise after loading 25 rounds today and having to reweigh every other charge due to the pan not being zeroed when put back on the scale. Nothing quite like removing a little powder and the weight going up.
Amazon Product
  • Comes with all accessories: including case with calibration weight and clear flip lid
  • Extreme precision: perfect for weighing small amounts of volume between 1 and 20MG such as pet medication, ingredients, and herbs
  • Multiple Weighing Units: Weighs in six different weighing units: (g, oz, ozt, dwt, ct, gn/gr to allow for multiuse purposes

I also have this scale, but it's not the most accurate as it just weights to 0.1gr and thats a decently wide margin. Or am I being to picky here?
Amazon Product
  • 750 grain capacity, accurate to +/- 0.1 grain, measures in grain, gram carats and ounces.
  • Includes: Scale with built in cover, powder tray, calibration weight, batteries and storage case
  • Runs on two AAA batteries (included)

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#1]
You're not being too picky, but if you want a good scale accurate beyond 0.1gr you're going to have to pay for it.

If you're reloading plinking rounds, I doubt 0.1gr is going to make much of a difference.

If you want precision rounds, it's a big difference. Plus or minus 0.1gr is another way of saying up to 0.2gr variance.

I would look into the FX-120i as a good happy medium that is very accurate but not in the thousands of dollars. Its the perfect reloading scale and can be upgraded with the autotrickler setup later if you want to spend the extra cash.

You cant possibly expect 0.02gr of precision in a "budget" setup, it's just not realistic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to ebay and look for an older RCBS 5-10 balance beam scale IF YOU WANT PRECISION.
I'm still using the one that came with my Rockchucker kit in 1978. It has a numbered drum that allows 3 digit precision. Mine has been used for thousands and thousands of charges and still indicates DEAD ON WITH MY CHECK WEIGHTS.
My second choice would be the RCBS 5-0-5. Accurate, just not as precise (1 decimal point less).

In any case, a lot of what I'm reading seems to say that a lot of the new production scales aren't as accurate as the older scales. So that leads me to suggest to you that you find an older scale at a gun show or on ebay.

Not a fan of electronic scales. The few I tried years ago were too inconsistent for my likes. Sold them and stuck with tried and true.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
...I still use a balance beam and .1 accuracy is all you need to load accurate ammo...
View Quote
+1 - Like Rob, I too use a beam scale good to 0.1 grain.  0.1 grain is more than good enough for most loading applications...  plus, while the scale is calibrated in 0.1 grain increments, you can read it down to 0.02 grains with interpolation...  a single grain of Varget weighs ~0.02 grains!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Johnny’s reloading bench on YouTube just had a great video on digital scales.    Worth a watch if you are currently looking

Video
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, if you can find a gem pro 250 or 300 for sale, they work very well for what they are and what they cost....I verify every charge off my CML with it..zero complaints....Would not hesitate to buy another if I needed one...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The Dillon Eliminator Scale has Ohaus guts and was twin to the RCBS 505 scale discontinued by RCBS a few years ago.
This a the best value in a mechanical scale on the lower end so to speak.
Get a set of check weights.  Keep the scale clean and covered when not in use, and you will have a life time of good service.

The best value in electronics scales is probably the GEM Pro 300 if you can find one.  Or look at the Dillon D-Terminator scale.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
Go to ebay and look for an older RCBS 5-10 balance beam scale IF YOU WANT PRECISION.
I'm still using the one that came with my Rockchucker kit in 1978. It has a numbered drum that allows 3 digit precision. Mine has been used for thousands and thousands of charges and still indicates DEAD ON WITH MY CHECK WEIGHTS.
My second choice would be the RCBS 5-0-5. Accurate, just not as precise (1 decimal point less).

In any case, a lot of what I'm reading seems to say that a lot of the new production scales aren't as accurate as the older scales. So that leads me to suggest to you that you find an older scale at a gun show or on ebay.

Not a fan of electronic scales. The few I tried years ago were too inconsistent for my likes. Sold them and stuck with tried and true.
View Quote
I agree with you here.  I had a milligram balance years ago I got when the lab at work shut down.  The beam is so much easier.

My Redding scale can see 1 or 2 grains of stick powder (RL16 currently).  My RCBS 505 is not nearly that sensitive.

Sensitive beam scales give a lot of information and are cheaper and simpler.

I'm know the Prometheus and other Area 419 set ups are sweet.  I just don't want to pay for them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I have that Frankfort aresenal scale. It’s hinestly pretty shitty, but good for getting close then switching to beam. Johnny’s reloading bench has a new video on scales.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually use that American weigh Gemini scale with good results. A few things I've noticed:
Keep your phone away from your weighing area.
You don't want any A/C or wind or anything blowing around
Pay attention to your tare weight. (Yes, this scale drifts a few times, but if you do the math for your charge weight based on the drift, you'll get an accurate charge weight)
Let it warm up, test it a few times with known balance weights or check weights.
Make sure it's clear of any debris or little tiny pieces of dirt.

I know it's a cheap ass scale, but it really works if you have patience. I've had no problem getting loads with ES under 10 using this scale.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Ferrite cores added to both ends of the power cable seem to help.  My Gempro 250 has been sitting unused, but powered on for months and is still showing all zeros when I sit down with it.  It is also unaffected by temperature.

Once my Autotrickler V3/FX120i show up I may sell it despite how awesome it has been.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top