Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 1:10:18 PM EDT
I was having a totally unrelated conversation with a guy at the range and he made a comment about not wanting to shoot with "that" with NVGs on, "that" being my little Savage 308 with an acupoint.
I didn't think about it at the time because it wasn't what we were actually talking about,  but now it's bugging me.
Why couldn't I shoot that rifle as is with a PVS14 on at night?

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about it mounted to the 308 I don't think it's rated for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alacop:
View Quote

No, on a helmet.

Why ccouldn't/shouldnt I just pick up the rifle and shoot it normally?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
He might have been referring to the difficulty of lining up the head mounted 14 with the small fov on a scope or the huge muzzle flash. NVGs work best with a laser or red dot scope.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 7:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joe731] [#4]
Originally Posted By bloviating_jerk:

No, on a helmet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bloviating_jerk:
Originally Posted By alacop:

No, on a helmet.

It's technically possible,  but the LOP is going to be way wrong, you'll need to focus the pvs14 a lot closer than normal, and the scope cuts down so much light that you need either extra IR or a full moon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll lose so much light through the scope you likely won't see anything through it. For night vision with a variable power day optic you want a "clip on" like a PVS-27 or PVS-30. Then it would work fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't want to risk an expensive scope smacking into an expensive PVS14 under recoil.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 4:55:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#7]
I've used a helmet-mounted PVS14 behind an ACOG on a turret-mounted M249 SAW at pre-mob training ranges. In one scenario, we were supposed to be engaging illuminated pop up targets at various ranges while dealing with a disabled vehicle. We were supposed to be walking our fire into the targets in our lane via tracers, but I figured if I had a PVS14 and an ACOG why not use it?

So i just cupped the PVS14 to the back of the TA31 and put the chevron on the target. Instead of walking the machine gun into the target, it was just a quick burst for every target and down they went. My team leader was impressed and I continued to use that technique throughout the rest of the training, but afterwards I realized I had actually ended up limiting the amount of fun trigger time I could have gotten.

That said, a machine gun and a precision rifle aren't exactly the same thing and neither is a turret-mounted 5.56 weapon vs a 308 on a bipod in terms of recoil...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top