Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2022 11:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6ArcFanBoy]
Hey everyone just wanted to share my 6mm arc build that i finished a few months ago and took me about 6 months.

Upper Build Specs:

•Atheris upper receiver
•Atheris 22” 416R stainless steel barrel w/ 5R rifling i believe made by Saturn.
•Atheris 17.5” mlok handguard
•Atheris bcg
•Strike industries charging handle
•Standard gas block & rifle length gas tube
•Standard A2 flash hider

Lower Build Specs:

•Aero m4e1 lower receiver
•Aero carbine buffer tube with carbine spring and H2 buffer
•Magpul prs lite stock
•Anarchy outdoors precision rifle grip
•Larue mbt 2 stage trigger
•Battle arms development safety selector
•Battle arms development mag catch and button
•Strike industries ultralight takedown pins

Optic & mount specs:

•Athlon midas tac hd 5-25x56 ffp mil reticle
•Seekins mxm 20moa mount
•Mkmachining scope caps
•Mkmachining throw lever
•Mkmachining scope level

Attachments:

•Magpul bipod

i didnt do much of a barrel break in, i fired one shot, then ran a patch with hoppes through it then a clean patch, ran hoppes through it again followed by two clean patches. After that i just shot it. Now i made a newbie mistake and my first 3 or 4 shots werent showing up on the the ipad that shows where the bullets hit. Luckily the range officer checked the ipad to make sure it was set on the 100 yard target and he selected the 300 yard target and there were hits, well my dumb self was aiming at the 300 yard target instead of the 100 yard lol, i guess because i had the magnification all the way up i didnt see the yardage on the target and assumed it was 100 yards lmao. After i figured that out i was good. The rifle ran flawlessly. When i was shooting it I did load one round at a time just to make sure everything was going to operate and to force me to slow down in between shots and make adjustments. Dad shot it a few times and i loaded 3 in the mag and had no issues with it cycling. My bore sight was pretty close but did have to adjust it a little bit to zero it in. I shot around 60 rounds at 100 yards just to get a feel for the rifle and make sure i was good with my zero settings. I then worked my way out. I did take about 10 seconds between shots just to make sure i was taking my time and not rushing it, the barrel stayed pretty cool the entire time so i really didnt have to stop and let it cool. Also i did the best i could with what i had, i was using the front bipod which worked great along with a small caldwell bag to support the stock but had to space it up a bit with a little tool kit box i had along with some shop towels i had as the bench is positioned higher than the range. The further i went out the less height i needed. I got it done and it worked out well but i need to invest in a better bag setup.

Heres the results. I zeroed at 100 and used a ballistic calculator to figure my adjustments needed at the set distances. I did tweak the numbers some and wrote down the Mils i had at all the distances and they got me close, could probably be tweaked a little more but i need a better bag setup.

At 100 yards i pretty much averaged sub Moa. Had a few groups just over Moa but im pretty sure the variance was in me, the best group i got at 100 yards was .51 Moa

Heres 300 Yards. I may have been pulling the shot slightly. Still not too bad, i was fighting the rear bag support a little trying to get to stay steady because how it was spaced up.

Heres 600 Yards. Again the variance is most likely in me, the wind was also blowing from left to right at 5 or so mph.

Heres 800 Yards. Was still fighting the rear support bag a little.

i did shoot a group at 1000 yards but i accidentally deleted the damn shots. The wind down range was pushing the shots to the right so i was trying to use my windage hold over to compensate. After i accidentally deleted the shots at 1000 yards i had one round left and this is what i got. I think i was holding about 1 Mil to the left. Would of liked to capture a 3 shot group but ill take it lol.

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:53:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#2]
N/m,

Op covered
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Looks good. What barrel length? What bullet and load were you using?
View Quote

22” barrel

Was using hornady eld match 108gr and hornady black 105gr
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good.  It is nice to see 1300+ FPS at 1K with a 22" barrel.

6ARC seems to be catching on a lot faster than 6.5G did.  Hopefully ammo and reloading supplies will come back soon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Looks good.  It is nice to see 1300+ FPS at 1K with a 22" barrel.

6ARC seems to be catching on a lot faster than 6.5G did.  Hopefully ammo and reloading supplies will come back soon.
View Quote

Grendel paved the way on a intermediate cartridge getting too a 1000 yards and showed the world there was an interest. The 6mm PPC has been around a long time and didn’t get into that niche do to twist rate and lack of good bullets. Actually bullet style made the 6mm arc’s success. People thought that the 6mm PPC was only capable of varmint and bench rest shooting. And the AR chamberings were severally hindered by magazine problems.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah i first started off wanting to build a 6.5 grendel but if i was going to build a 1000 yard small frame ar i figured the 6 arc is about as good as it gets. I currently dont have any intent on reloads although i have a buddy that i sell the brass to which helps bring the cost per round down
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Grendel paved the way on a intermediate cartridge getting too a 1000 yards and showed the world there was an interest. The 6mm PPC has been around a long time and didn’t get into that niche do to twist rate and lack of good bullets. Actually bullet style made the 6mm arc’s success. People thought that the 6mm PPC was only capable of varmint and bench rest shooting. And the AR chamberings were severally hindered by magazine problems.
View Quote

6 PPC is a great cartridge for 100 and 300 yard competitions.  It doesn't get used much beyond that because they shoot the little bullets for accuracy and they don't  do well in the wind.  6ARC is still a bit anemic for 1000 yard use but it can do it.  The sweet spot seems to be with 6BRA but I wouldn't want to chamber an AR in that.  6ARC is a better package.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 6ArcFanBoy:
Yeah i first started off wanting to build a 6.5 grendel but if i was going to build a 1000 yard small frame ar i figured the 6 arc is about as good as it gets. I currently dont have any intent on reloads although i have a buddy that i sell the brass to which helps bring the cost per round down
View Quote

For punching paper and dinging steal it’s hard to choose the 6.5 Grendel over the 6mm ARC. From playing with my buddy’s arc the only advantage I can give the Grendel is bullet weight on game animals. I grew up with a .243 and it amazes me how the little 6mm arc hangs with it just do to a improved twist rate.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sigman68:

6 PPC is a great cartridge for 100 and 300 yard competitions.  It doesn't get used much beyond that because they shoot the little bullets for accuracy and they don't  do well in the wind.  6ARC is still a bit anemic for 1000 yard use but it can do it.  The sweet spot seems to be with 6BRA but I wouldn't want to chamber an AR in that.  6ARC is a better package.
View Quote

But during the 6mm PPC’s run it bucked the wind better than the .222Rem that was the darling bench rest round. Look at the advantages we got from changing the .223’s twist rate. Then developing some decent bullets that were better ballistic coefficient quality’s. Yeah the.220 risky/ppc case is at the upper limits for the AR action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top