Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2019 11:37:56 PM EDT
The last six months I’ve really been thinking of getting into longer range shooting and getting myself set up with a starter precision rig. Recently I’ve decided to sell my M1As and accessories to fund this rig. Tonight I sat and penciled out a budget for my starter setup. Let me know what you think of my choices and maybe what I’m missing. This is a loose budget that allows for unforeseen costs, accessories with the item, shipping, and/or worst case scenario. I’m hoping to come in under these prices, hopefully well under. Keep that in mind.
Ruger PR TALO Edition 6.5 Creedmor (I love camo things) $1250
Vortex Viper 5-25x50 Gen II MRAD $1100
Large LT111 Mount $275
3 PMags $65
Magpul Bipod $110
Vortex Diamondback Angled 20-60x80 Spotting Scope $500
RCBS 6.5 Creedmor Die Set $75
Total $3375
Round up, call it $3500. I can get that buy selling what I have. It also gives me extra plus whatever I save on components to buy ammo. So... am I missing anything or well off on planning? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Spartan24:
The last six months I’ve really been thinking of getting into longer range shooting and getting myself set up with a starter precision rig. Recently I’ve decided to sell my M1As and accessories to fund this rig. Tonight I sat and penciled out a budget for my starter setup. Let me know what you think of my choices and maybe what I’m missing. This is a loose budget that allows for unforeseen costs, accessories with the item, shipping, and/or worst case scenario. I’m hoping to come in under these prices, hopefully well under. Keep that in mind.
Ruger PR TALO Edition 6.5 Creedmor (I love camo things) $1250
Vortex Viper 5-25x50 Gen II MRAD $1100
Large LT111 Mount $275
3 PMags $65
Magpul Bipod $110
Vortex Diamondback Angled 20-60x80 Spotting Scope $500
RCBS 6.5 Creedmor Die Set $75
Total $3375
Round up, call it $3500. I can get that buy selling what I have. It also gives me extra plus whatever I save on components to buy ammo. So... am I missing anything or well off on planning? Thanks in advance!
View Quote
If you like the RPR than go for it, I prefer Bergara and Tikka personally. Having handled all 3 back to back, the difference seems obvious to me. My personal opinion aside, the RPR is a known good shooter.

I'd get normal rings from Seekins/Vortex and save some cash over the LT mount. The money you have budgeted for the Viper PST Gen II will score you a used Razor HD Gen I (there's on in the EE right now and it's not mine). Unless the Diamondback spotter comes with a tripod (my Viper HD spotter didn't) you'll need a tripod as well.

Perhaps most importantly, you're missing a databook. You are going to want one to record dope, US Tactical has good ones.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
As mentioned above, there are a couple options for rifles available these days.  I would also ditch the larue.  There is no reason to run a QD mount on a bolt action.  Seekins rings do a great job, and even paying a premium for ARC rings is both a less expensive and better option.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I have that spotter and the 27-60-85 vortex spotter..if you are going to be shooting a lot past  300yards,  you might consider the caldwell camera system...much, much easier to get instant feedback on hits then a spotting scope, especially at distance...I have this system, it works great as well..especially for the price...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Caldwell-156726-Target-Camera-System-Ballistic-Precision-LR/691128618

You might also want a good bag for a rear rest...I got my rear bag,  a dope book case, 2 rd holder, shooting mat,  and a few other things from Triad Tactical..great products and great prices...
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditch the Viper and look at a used or new Burris XTR II.
Don't forget about a rear bag set.
The rest won't matter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Ditch the Viper and look at a used or new Burris XTR II.
Don't forget about a rear bag set.
The rest won't matter.
View Quote
I second this, but would add that you should abstain from the spotter right now and spend that money on a Kestrel.

There are many other optics in that 1000.00 range. In fact, I would be looking at the used optics sections here and on Snipershide.  I recently saw a Gen 2 4.5-27 Razor going for 1500.00 over on Snipershide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top