Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 4:48:58 PM EDT
I feel like I'm diving into a deep, but needless rabbit hole.

I've purchased my first lightweight .308 AR-style but do not have the rifle in-hand to take measurements.  I've heard the top rail is a bit higher than most AR15's despite being built on what is, essentially, an AR15 sized chassis.

I've purchased the Primary Arms SLx 1-6x FFP Raptor after much debate and this will be my first scope.  I can't find measurements on the PA website, other than weight and primary tube size (30mm).  Same goes for the rifle.  The rifle is 7-10 days out and the scope is due some time in June (knock on wood).

I'm at a complete loss on the mount in terms of 1MOA, 2MOA, extended, not extended.  I also have an AR-15 which is only equipped with a red dot but would like to be able to switch the scope over to both.  The AR15 will mostly be used for range/training/home defense where the AR10 will be used for range/training and hunting.

I see a lot of chatter about "return to zero" and am assuming that means being able to remove the entire assembly, mount and scope, and then re-attach and it'll still be zero'd.

Admittedly, I don't know what I don't know as I've had no experience with a scope or mounts.

There's a bit of sticker shock with some of the mount options.  Generally, I "think" I'd like a quick dismount, return to zero setup that'll work on both rifles, as light as possible and keep it around $150.  Honestly I was hoping to spend less than $100 but I would not get the QD or return to zero feature.  

I see American Defense, Midwest Industries, Warne, etc...in this price range.  I also know it's always the little things that end up annoying you and forcing a second purchase.

Some general direction pointing would be great, not only in terms of brand but specifications I should be looking at to narrow down my search.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ape_Factory] [#2]
You rock.  Thank you very much.  Read a few of your other responses on other threads AFTER posting this topic discussing the QD and I have to agree.  Won't be a speed test in swapping scopes so makes sense.

I don't fully understand the whole MOA thing just yet, still researching/learning.

Edit:  So if I'm using the rectile, I can go for a zero MOA or a 20?  Won't matter?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok so the higher the scope mount's MOA, the further out I can zero.  Is that correct?  I can't see shooting a .308 more than 600 yards for deer hunting and even closer for wild boar.  I'd think most shots would be in the 200 to 300 yard range where I live (Central TX).  

And if I need closer range tactical, I'd be better with a zero MOA scope mount?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
For $140 you can get the LaRue CAN mount. It is a QD mount and adjustable without a tool.

You can shoot out to 600 yds with a 0 MOA mount.

What a 20 MOA scope mount does is allow more adjustment when dialing your scope, since once zeroed you are only adjusting the reticle in one direction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#6]
For under $150, yep, the LaRue CAN (LT204) is what you seek.

I don't swap scope between rifles, but where the QD and RTZ come in handy for me is to remove the scope, cleaning for example, and put it back on without needing to re-zero.

Although, I think most any quality mount will be close.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
All a 20 MOA mount does is redistribute the internal elevation of the scope. The mount or base is tapered down in the front which makes the point of impact hit higher when zeroing so you have to dial down. Example, your scope has 50 MOA of internal elevation. You have 25 up and 25 down theoretically. So with a 20 MOA base you will have 45 up and 5 down. That's all it means. So if using the reticle for all your shots this would not make a difference. It makes a difference if dialing but if only going to 600 in a .308 you might need to only dial about 17-18 MOA so you can do that with a standard base and dialing.
View Quote

Ok got it, makes sense.  Thank you again Rob.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mi650:
For under $150, yep, the LaRue CAN (LT204) is what you seek.

I don't swap scope between rifles, but where the QD and RTZ come in handy for me is to remove the scope, cleaning for example, and put it back on without needing to re-zero.

Although, I think most any quality mount will be close.
View Quote

I will check it out.  I actually upped my budget to include the Larue mounts as they're just up the road from me.  But I'd read a few bad reviews on the Larue which made me hesitant and I completely overlooked the CAN LT204 on their site for some reason.  I'll give that one a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top