Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 1:28:24 PM EDT
Having a hard time understanding some things about McMillan stocks and where to go to get one ordered. First off, I will obviously be going to a competent gunsmith for all work but thought it would best to try to learn about McM first and see if there are cheaper options ordering online. Stock in question is A5

Specs
R700 clone action
Rem-Varmint contour barrel
6.5 Creedmoor
Badger M5 DBM bottom metal

1)  Do I need to search out a stock that is inleted to my action and barrel contour first?
2)  What about the DBM bottom metal inlet? Same as above?
3)  How does the adjustable cheek-piece work? I see there are different hardware options and thumbwheels. How does the base A5 cheek riser come?
4)  I know McM now says that action bedding is not necessary. Most gunsmiths seem to still recommend. Anything to consider here when ordering stock?
5)  Do I try to order the stock with front / rear QD flush cups or let gunsmith handle this?
6)  Machined in aluminum pillars ($28) or Edge Technology ($100)... i'm confused

I see why most folks just go with a nice chassis and be done with it. I have an XLR and do like it, but I want to go back to to a conventional stock as this rifle with double as a precision shooter and something I occasionally hunt with.

Thanks for any assistance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RFutch] [#1]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

1)  Do I need to search out a stock that is inleted to my action and barrel contour first? Any under the Tatical or Remington Stocks should work but It's best to ask MCM this question. When you order you will specify barrel contour.
2)  What about the DBM bottom metal inlet? Same as above? When you place your order you will specify what DBM you are using.
3)  How does the adjustable cheek-piece work? I see there are different hardware options and thumbwheels. How does the base A5 cheek riser come? Base A5 has no Adj cheek piece. Ask them if they can do a KMW and what costs would be.It is the best Adj cheek piece on the market
4)  I know McM now says that action bedding is not necessary. Most gunsmiths seem to still recommend. Anything to consider here when ordering stock? Get aluminum pillers installed by MCM. Neither of mine are bedded. Both shoot bugholes.
5)  Do I try to order the stock with front / rear QD flush cups or let gunsmith handle this? Have MCM do this not the gunsmith.
6)  Machined in aluminum pillars ($28) or Edge Technology ($100)... i'm confused. Edge is a carbon fiber shell not fiberglass.

View Quote
I would email them your questions before ordering. It's a little confusing at first because there are so many options but you are getting a truly custom product. You won't be disappointing in the end.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks RFutch....huge help!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. Just be sure before you order. About half way through the lead time they will send you a confirmation of what you have spec'ed out and you will have to sign off on it. After that they will build the stock off that sheet.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm just going to add that my McMillan stock did not need bedding, and my rifle shoots great.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Don’t know much about Manners but they look great and know they are well respected.

So the T4 is basically drop in ready?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Manners with a mini-chassis and you will be money and time ahead.  And in the end I think the Manners is a much better stock.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve had both and they are both equal in quality. I like the feel of the McMillan stocks better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
So looks like the Manners T4A w/ mini chassis around $1100-$1200? And not sure if that includes QD flush cups.

I’m going to get a quote from McM next week to compare and figure in Badger M5 bottom metal.

This is going to be pricey. Probably won’t be able to get much more than a couple hundred for my XLR chassis that will be getting replaced.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
So looks like the Manners T4A w/ mini chassis around $1100-$1200? And not sure if that includes QD flush cups.

I'm going to get a quote from McM next week to compare and figure in Badger M5 bottom metal.

This is going to be pricey. Probably won't be able to get much more than a couple hundred for my XLR chassis that will be getting replaced.
View Quote
Be sure to watch the usual places also, these stocks float around on the second hand market pretty frequently.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#13]
@RFutch
@KentuckyMarksman

Do you remember what "fill" you went with? For an A5, I'm trying to decide between "sporter" or "sniper" fill. I think ideally, no heavier than 3.5 lbs. I certainly know weight adds benefit while shooting stationary but I would be lugging this rifle around on the occasional hunt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine is the standard fill (I guess they call that sporter?) and it weighs 3.5 lbs. with CDI bottom metal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RFutch:
Mine is the standard fill (I guess they call that sporter?) and it weighs 3.5 lbs. with CDI bottom metal.
View Quote
Yeah, that must be their Sporter fill. That's perfect then, my XLR Element that I'll be replacing is 3.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the standard fill, so I guess that's their "Sporter Fill".
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
One other thing to mention if you are getting a marble finish. When I ordered mine in 33% Tan 33% OD Green 33% Black, I was not aware the first color listed would most likely be the base color. I was wanting a green stock like Rob01's team mate Tony has and it turned out more tan than green. Still looks great but not quite what I was expecting. My second stock turned out exactly how I wanted though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#19]
So I got quotes on McMillan and Manners. Options are as similar as possible to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Bottom line, McM A5 is $1268 and TF4A is $1476. Is the Manners w/ mini chassis worth the additional $200? I didn't catch their lead time but McMillan is 6 months!!!

McM A5 Adjustable
- Fiberglass
- McMillan Camo (molded)
- Standard Fill
- Full Inlet (drop in)
- Aluminum Pillars
- Decelerator Buttpad w/ Spacer System
- Clamp Bar (Round Knob) Cheek-Piece Hardware
- 1 Sling Stud
- 2 Flush Cups
Price:  $1268  (includes Badger M5 dbm)

MCS-TF4A
- Composite (Glass & Carbon Fiber)

- Molded 3 Color Camo
- Standard Fill
- KMW Hardware
- MCS DBM Mini Chassis Gen 2
- Adjustable Butt Spacer System - 1" Decelerator
- 2 Flush Cups
- 1 Sling Stud
- 9/16" Pillars  *Not sure if these are needed w/ mini chassis*
Price:  $1476
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Not to me but YMMV. I had a mini chassis and it was nice but an unbedded MCM shoots just as good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]
The cheapest bottom metal is going to run you $160 so keep that on mind. Check redhawk rifles for the McMillan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife's .243 (7.5-pound hunting rifle) isn't bedded in her purple McSwirly (rem classic pattern) and it seems to do okay.

IMG_20181112_121512_707 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Yeah yeah I know "it's not a 3,742 shot group!!" well it's a hunting rifle, and I was low on 85 TSX's so for load dev I put together 5 different 3-shot loads instead of 3 5-shot loads.

Figures this was the first 3 I put through the gun.  

(in fairness, it was also throwing 80-grain Remington PSPs, 100-grain Hornady BTSPs, and 95-grain NBT all WAY under an inch, many of them under half an inch, verified at 1.5" or less at 200 as well)

Just an illustration that it doesn't *NEED* to be bedded.  If you're looking to eek out the very last bit of precision from a given rifle then absolutely, bedding can make a difference.

But it isn't exactly mandatory.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mauser48A:
The cheapest bottom metal is going to run you $160 so keep that on mind. Check redhawk rifles for the McMillan.
View Quote
I bought my stock from RedHawk Rifles, it shipped out immediately as they already had it on hand.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the whole bedding thing gets blown way out of proportion. An older rifle, in a wood stock, yeah it probably would benefit from it.

The inlets on McMillan, and Manners for that matter, are so precise that I think the chances of a major improvement diminishes greatly. I have yet to see a before and after of either brand and how the groups improved. All you ever hear is "Well it should help". Not exactly quantifiable.

OP, pick the stock with the features you like best. You won't be disappointed with either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
One thing OP, McMillan has a standard 13.5" LOP.  I find that 13.0" LOP is better, especially if you do any shooting in cold weather and are wearing a few layers of clothes.  I find that too long a LOP is worse than too short.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

That set up didn't need it. I wouldn't bet that every rifle/stock will shoot like that unbedded.
View Quote
Maybe not, but it does illustrate why it's always a good idea to shoot it first to *SEE* if it needs to be bedded.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
One thing OP, McMillan has a standard 13.5" LOP.  I find that 13.0" LOP is better, especially if you do any shooting in cold weather and are wearing a few layers of clothes.  I find that too long a LOP is worse than too short.
View Quote
Good note. I typically prefer 13.75”-14” LOP. I would get spacer system with whatever I get.

If I go A5 I will try it first before bedding. Even McMillan states that it’s not necessary.

Rob, one thing I’m not clear on is do I need to spec “aluminum pillars” with the T4A mini chassis? It gave me the option when building online but thought the mini chassis would be integrated without the need of traditional stock bedded pillars.?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top