Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2019 10:44:55 PM EDT
MPBR zero for a "combat carbine" just makes a lot of sense.  For a General Purpose HD gun being able to hit targets 25-300yds with little to no holds/corrections is obviously desirable.  Let's face it though, your aiming for "Minute-of-Man" not "Minute-of-Angle".

Are any of you using MPBR for your precision rig?  Or do you use the traditional 100yd or 200yd zero and make scope adjustments?

also, @LRRPF52 you've messed with the 65G more than anyone....what would be your best guess for MPBR in 65?  12" to 18" barrels.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It was part of my precision rifle course.

Short time to hit, no time to dial in the scope.  I think we were at the 200 yard line at the time,  maybe 300.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Some shooters use a version of MPBR in some match conditions. They just dont adjust their hold inside 200 yards.

I dont know why you would worry about MPBR with optics with either BDC reticles or even more advanced mil hash marks.

Defeats the "precision" aspect.

Strelok + and Strelok Pro should be able to cook up a decent MPBR with good data input.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:24:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL_Safety] [#3]
Using a 9 inch variable for the hit, my 264 win mag has a maximum point blank range of 375 yards or so,  can't remember the specifics. This is how I set up my hunting rifles though - 9 inch target circle, for max range with no adjustment.  Then I print out an adjustment data card for longer range and tape it too the stock.  I know I need to aim low for close range targets, and a little high for longer range.  From a mule deer hunting standpoint, this has worked well for me in Colorado hunts.  Clearly, this approach doesn't work for precision shooting, but it functions fine when you need to drop live targets.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It all depends on you usage. If you were in a environment that guaranteed a shot that fell within your point blank range it’s a great thing to know. Honestly the more data you gather makes you better across the board.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The more I vary things up, the more I like a single point zero like the 100 yard zero for 5.56. All DOPE is up. MPBR isn't really for precision. It's about keeping POI with 6" or so of POA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
No, because +/- 3" at close distances is not "precision".

100 yard zero, and dial/hold from there. Always.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Low power optic meant for fighting?   Sure point blank range setup.   You will be firing lots of rounds potentially.   A 200-ish yard zero working at ranges to 300 yards is perfectly acceptable.

Long distance where priority is on making first round hit?   Have a zero and dial for range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 6:16:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CajunRebel] [#8]
I zero my SBR rifle at 50yds using MY SHTF ammo.  According to Strelok, the far zero is 191yds - close enough to 200 for me.  I could not find the MPBR feature within Strelok but an online calculator gives it at 225yds for a 3" target.  It works for me.  As with any weapon system, you have to work out the variables for yourself.  The odds for me engaging someone beyond 250-300yds in minimal and I doubt I could hit them with an AR15.  If beyond 300yds is required I'm breaking out my 6.5 CM.  My "precision" rifle is not for CQB, that's what my pistol and SBR is for.

BTW - My precision rifle is zeroed for 100yds and the PBR is 275yds, same 3" target.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#9]
If you are using a precision rifle for hunting and counting on the improved accuracy to extend effective ethical range, it makes sense to use a max point back range zero, as things can happen very fast with little time to use a holdover reticle or do any dialing.  If you are hunting deer, a 6” circle represents the vitals.  I want a point blank zero that gets no higher than 3” and ends at the -3” distance.  Then, as long as you know the terrain and have used a range finder for reference points, it’s aim and shoot.

You can still have dope for longer distances and more time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:53:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#10]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:
MPBR zero for a "combat carbine" just makes a lot of sense.  For a General Purpose HD gun being able to hit targets 25-300yds with little to no holds/corrections is obviously desirable.  Let's face it though, your aiming for "Minute-of-Man" not "Minute-of-Angle".

Are any of you using MPBR for your precision rig?  Or do you use the traditional 100yd or 200yd zero and make scope adjustments?

also, @LRRPF52 you've messed with the 65G more than anyone....what would be your best guess for MPBR in 65?  12" to 18" barrels.

Thanks
View Quote
Its a precision rig. Its ALWAYS about sub MOA. Its a 100 yard zero for an AR since that is the single intersection zero point. All adjustments are in one direction. You can use the reticle or dial your 50/200 or 300 ir 400 yard zero. Your MPBR will always be 50/200 yards. The only difference is instead of using your 50 yard zero and it being close enough at 200 you use a 200 yzrd zero and it will be close enough at 50. A 25/300 zero, even for a defensive carbine, has too much hold under at 100 yards.

Also, I am 99% sure you will not be using a 12" barreled rifle as a precision rifle. You will have a LPVO on it, but that is not a 10x+, adjustable parallax, exposed elevation dial precision scope.

Here is a 10 shot group in 20 seconds drill at 320 yards.

Same rifle, same distance, 5 rounds slow fire.

They were not "point blank" dial zeros.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Must have gotten lost, thought I was in the precision sub-forum?

283 yards...Not the farthest shat but does that look like point blank results or results of an adjusted zero?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
An AR-15 zeroed at 200 yards shoots point blank from zero to 230 yards.

You'll never be over or under more than 2" using that zero.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sea2summit] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

View Quote
By never you must mean except for between ~80 to 160?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
With today"s optics it's hard to go back to the MPBR unless your shooting a straight duplex reticle. I've found Strelock pro to be quite functional with my Redfield Accuplex.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't had time to play with them much (@lazyengineer has a little bit I know) but the ACSS reticles from Primary Arms seem to be really great for the auto ranging
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 4:03:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#16]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:
I haven't had time to play with them much (@lazyengineer has a little bit I know) but the ACSS reticles from Primary Arms seem to be really great for the auto ranging
View Quote
When running optics that have built in Bullet Drop charts built-in - I zero it as per the scope instructions; otherwise the chart wont work.  Most of the time they set those at 100 yards.

With all else, I tend to find the 200 yard zero is the most general purpose (but not always!).  I consider 2" of my POA deviation as my personal Max Point Blank Range span of impacts criteria.  When I run a 200 yard zero, in general that means all shots from 36 yards out to 225 yards, will be within 2" of aim.  I'm good with that.

For what I do, the concept of a 24" span being MPBR is a big no-go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#17]
As just an interesting side bit of info...in WW2 the battle zero of the M-1 Garand gave effective hits to 540 yards.

Zeroed as such, the shooter aimed at the targets belt buckle and the max ord of the round was approx 22”. This gave hits to the torso from the muzzle to 540 with a single simple easy to learn hold.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I built an 18” 223 Wylde that’s primary purpose is longer range/ precision shooting, MK12 inspired gun shooting 70+ gr bullets. I zeroed my scope for 50, using the 50/200 zero giving my scope quick accurate 50-200 yard shots, Dial or hold over for everything else outside of 200 yards and a offset red dot for point blank 0-50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Brazos:
As just an interesting side bit of info...in WW2 the battle zero of the M-1 Garand gave effective hits to 540 yards.

Zeroed as such, the shooter aimed at the targets belt buckle and the max ord of the round was approx 22". This gave hits to the torso from the muzzle to 540 with a single simple easy to learn hold.
View Quote
*M1903.

3rd page.
http://www.jouster2.com/sea_stories/service_rifle_qualification_courses.pdf
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:33:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#20]

View Quote
A 2" elevation error is 100% unacceptable on a 4" steel target. A 2" elevation error for any group is unacceptable for any precision optic out to 400+ yards. Past that, its just off by one or two clicks. .My point was that he should use a 100y zero ALWAYS (on a precision optic) and then dial to his 200y hold for large targets without the need for elevation adjustment from 5 yards to 200+ yards, then again, if he can see a FFP mil type reticle, he can just know his holds with a 100y zero and leave it there, using his holds on reticle.

ALL precision optics on ARs in ALL calibers should use a 100y zero for the optic. I cant think of a single case where someone would select a 200 or 300 yard distance as the zero point of the elevation dial. PRECISION OPTIC being the key term... meaning exposed elevation, high magnification, adjustable parallax. If it does not have those three features, it is not a PRECISION OPTIC... your definition of precision optic may vary.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:19:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#21]
Originally Posted By DevL:
A 2" elevation error is 100% unacceptable on a 4" steel target. A 2" elevation error for any group is unacceptable for any precision optic out to 400+ yards. Past that, its just off by one or two clicks. .My point was that he should use a 100y zero ALWAYS (on a precision optic) and then dial to his 200y hold for large targets without the need for elevation adjustment from 5 yards to 200+ yards, then again, if he can see a FFP mil type reticle, he can just know his holds with a 100y zero and leave it there, using his holds on reticle.

ALL precision optics on ARs in ALL calibers should use a 100y zero for the optic. I cant think of a single case where someone would select a 200 or 300 yard distance as the zero point of the elevation dial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DevL:

ALL precision optics on ARs in ALL calibers should use a 100y zero for the optic. I cant think of a single case where someone would select a 200 or 300 yard distance as the zero point of the elevation dial.
This is a personal preference issue. IMO a 100 yard zero is useless for anything other than a .30-30 or a 7.62x39mm.

My shooting history of "across the course" tournaments started my habit of using 200 yard zeros in my early 20's. Fourty years later it still works. I know I'm 1.5" to 1.75" high at 100 which will have no effect on my ability to make hits.

Because the course of fire is 200/300/600 yards I establish zeros and record them. Since the introduction of scopes several years ago nothing has changed in my process.

Many scopes with BDC reticles (ACOG's) force the user to zero at 100 to use the factory BDC lines. Simple crosshairs or MOA/MILDOT reticles work great using a 200 yard zero.

My only complaint regarding ACOG's 4x models is their crosshairs have a 200 yard hash mark. It clutters the aiming point and interferes with precision aiming. Their 3.5x models eliminate the 200 yard hash mark completely, going from 100 to 300 and it's a huge improvement.

A 200 yard zero works for me. Over 90% of the time I point and shoot with no need whatsoever to make any adjustments or try to compensate using my hold.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/4AAEAC3C-3856-40E6-9503-E0D7CECF2879_png-1239536.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/4AAEAC3C-3856-40E6-9503-E0D7CECF2879_png-1239536.JPG
I don't shoot ball ammo. My standard load is a 69 Sierra Match King's and they clock in at 2750 fps over my chronograph. Even if I was 2.3" high or low over a 230 yard flight path it would not effect my ability to make hits on target. The shooter needs to know how his load behaves and place the crosshairs accordingly.

If I had to hit a small target I would simply aim an inch high or low depending on my range estimation.

The shooter has the option to employ Kentucky windage and slight elevation offsets to hit the intended target.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]

I don't shoot ball ammo. My standard load is a 69 Sierra Match King's and they clock in at 2750 fps over my chronograph. Even if I was 2.3" high or low over a 230 yard flight path it would not effect my ability to make hits on target. The shooter needs to know how his load behaves and place the crosshairs accordingly.

If I had to hit a small target I would simply aim an inch high or low depending on my range estimation.

The shooter has the option to employ Kentucky windage and slight elevation offsets to hit the intended target.
View Quote
That’s 77 grn Custom Comp out of my rifle.  You said no 555 rounds would be more than 2” off and that happened to be my load.  You can argue semantics of 2 vs 2.3 being 2 but at the end of the day you’re not talking about precision.  Apparently you’re just talking about your shooting and the targets you shoot at. 2” off at 100m for a police marksman or prairie dog hunter could be a pretty big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top