Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2018 6:09:46 PM EDT
California already has them and I have a gut feeling the Fed's might restrict the capacities also. I just stocked up on 5 round AR-15 and AR-10 mags and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the rest of you to think about getting some now rather than finding them out of stock if they even start to talk about mag capacity restrictions.

I only have one AR that I shoot with a large cap mag and I'm thinking about getting rid of it because it's really not my style. I target shoot and hunt with my AR's so I never have a need for more than a five round mag.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
This isn't the first rodeo for many of us.

I'm ready for anything.

I'm not giving up anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
With 3D printers as popular as they are it would be useless legislation. I could print a bunch of mags if I wanted to. They won't last nearly as long as a pmag, but if I wanted to commit a come I only need them to last for one use.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah...no, I'm good with my 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OlCrow:

I'm ready for anything.

View Quote
FPNI as usual.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfpack] [#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sschefer:
California already has them and I have a gut feeling the Fed's might restrict the capacities also. I just stocked up on 5 round AR-15 and AR-10 mags and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the rest of you to think about getting some now rather than finding them out of stock if they even start to talk about mag capacity restrictions.

I only have one AR that I shoot with a large cap mag and I'm thinking about getting rid of it because it's really not my style. I target shoot and hunt with my AR's so I never have a need for more than a five round mag.
View Quote
If it’s time to turn in your 30’s, it’s time to use your 30’s.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not in mine...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dphill] [#9]
Not in mine...

Edit;

My first double, it's like coughing hard and blow out an uncontrolled fart!

@P08
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm ready for anything.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I only posted this just in case they do change things up on us. If you get them now you won't find yourself without and waiting on huge back orders. Think of it as prepping.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
Most of us on here have enough for our lives, our kids lives and probably their kids lives.

...and OP...come join us in the Nevada forum if you haven't yet.
View Quote
What's the Nevada site URL?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Let's just say someone was looking for PMAGs in 308.  Where would one find the best prices?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:

Nevada
View Quote
Thanks, I'm out here in Ferntucky off 95. Nice having a primitive range in my back yard..
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:

FPNI as usual.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pugsbrew:
Let's just say someone was looking for PMAGs in 308.  Where would one find the best prices?
View Quote
I got my 10 round at Midway USA but not for the price, for the shipping which is great with no delays. A also got my 5 round mags there but those are steel AR Stoner's.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I have picked up lots of mags over the years thanks to this site

just the other day I was looking at a stack I got for around 5 dollars  shipped back in 2015.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm ready for anything.

View Quote
Best post I’ve read in a while.  Succinct.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlemishedReceiver] [#21]
No.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm ready for anything.

View Quote
Mine neither, I'm 65 and came from Caliscrewya. Learned my lesson.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 7:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#23]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#24]

I got my 10 round at Midway USA but not for the price, for the shipping which is great with no delays. A also got my 5 round mags there but those are steel AR Stoner's.
View Quote
5 round supplier?  Midway is out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pugsbrew:

5 round supplier?  Midway is out.
View Quote
I figured there were others out there thinking like me. Glad I got mine or maybe I bought all they had in stock... LOL..
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:58:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#26]
A while back I bought 1 10 round magpul.  Just cuz I think it's always a possibility.  But yeah, even 10 rounders might be too much.......  I didn't even know there were current 5 round AR mags available.  I'm assuming that's what you meant.  I know they make 5 round flush fit for the M1A.  I don't have any but I have 2 10 rounders for that rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy what you need while you can, you never know what can happen.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#28]
When five rounders are your answer, we are in a heck of a mess!
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#29]
why would I stock up on something that would be available after a supposed ban? Wouldn't it make more sense to stock up on that which might be banned instead?

That said I'm tripping over cases of standard capacity magazines.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Did OP really just suggest stocking up on 5 rounders?

No, just NO!

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I only posted this just in case they do change things up on us. If you get them now you won't find yourself without and waiting on huge back orders. Think of it as prepping.
View Quote
I'd rather prep by buying 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I will buy .50 Beowulf 10 round magazines should there be a ban.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#33]
This sounds like fishing. If you had lived through the $80 glock mag era you would know what to do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
If 30 rounds mags and a second AR is not your style and you only need a 5 round mag to hunt, like you said in your first post, then why stock up on 5 round mags, you only need 1 mag to hunt with and if legislation is passed where you can only have 5 round mags, they will make more.

You are doing this whole stocking up thing wrong, so wrong that I dont believe you even have an AR or even hunt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Mach:

If 30 rounds mags and a second AR is not your style and you only need a 5 round mag to hunt, like you said in your first post, then why stock up on 5 round mags, you only need 1 mag to hunt with and if legislation is passed where you can only have 5 round mags, they will make more.

You are doing this whole stocking up thing wrong, so wrong that I dont believe you even have an AR or even hunt.
View Quote
Funny how our society now teaches us that we can shore up our inadequacies by finding imaginary fault in others that we don't even know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#36]
Edited - did not realize it was a tech forum.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Dear OP,

You sound like a quitter.

Sincerely,

FALARAK
View Quote
Yeah, you're right, I should have known that the person did not realize he was responding to a post in the Precision Rifles discussion group and had not taken the time to read my build threads.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#38]
standard cap was banned here in 95...  It did nothing but make a black market for standard cap mags
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
standard cap was banned here in 95...  It did nothing but make a black market for standard cap mags
View Quote
So true and it will be even worse if they get what they want. I have a feeling that it's going to be left up to the states. I tend to shoot precision at ranges more than anything else so a 5 or 10 round mag suits me best. I have a Grendel and a .308 that are both decent medium game rifles and I'll run 4 or 5 round mags in them when hunting. Neither of them are great hunting rifles because of their weight after you put high quality optics on them and they are cumbersome compared to a true hunting rifle. I just bought a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 for hunting which should come in under 10lbs after optics. It's a bolt action with a non-removable magazine, no barrel threads, no pistol grip, etc. and because of that, should withstand any of the ignorant gun control laws they may try to pass. I don't have a lot of 30 round mags, (maybe 10) and I have no intention of getting rid of them. I'll bury them in the back yard if need be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#40]
California outlawed standard capacity magazines and an estimated 7 to 10 million of them are being held in private hands in contempt of that law.

Law enforcement in California claims nobody turned any of them in to the police.

Magazines are cheap and plentiful, buy a lot for future use. It won't matter what gets banned if you're fully stocked.

Make sure you have a couple of five round magazines for use at public ranges.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#41]
I can't say I've ever even seen a 5 round AR mag. Ten sure. Why the fuck would you use a 5 rounder if you don't legally have to? Even bigger question is why would you stock up on them?

Do you own a company that only makes 5 round AR mags OP? That's the only thing that makes any sense for making this thread
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ryandushku:
I can't say I've ever even seen a 5 round AR mag. Ten sure. Why the fuck would you use a 5 rounder if you don't legally have to? Even bigger question is why would you stock up on them?

Do you own a company that only makes 5 round AR mags OP? That's the only thing that makes any sense for making this thread
View Quote
No, I don't own AR Stoner or Midway USA.. Wish I did.  So why 5 and not 10. I was just thinking that the 5's would probably be the least likely to end up in a ban since it's kinda of the standard for legal hunting. I also thought they might work well at the range. Most of the time, I'm only putting 5 rounds in my 10's anyway so why not just use a 5. I'm not trying to force anyone into buying these, but as I said before, I'm not the only one that had the thought because they sold out shortly after I got mine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ryandushku:

View Quote
It's for hunting. I know at least in Oregon semi autos rifles are limited to 5rnd capacity for hunting. Just like how shotguns are limited to 2+1 capacity.
If it came down to it I'd take a hammer and punch and dimple the sides of my 30s so they only hold however many is legal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:34:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#44]
California already has them and I have a gut feeling the Fed's might restrict the capacities also. I just stocked up on 5 round AR-15 and AR-10 mags...

I only have one AR that I shoot with a large cap mag and I'm thinking about getting rid of it because it's really not my style...
View Quote
You're not from around here... are you?...

If you want investment advice - buy 30s, as many as you can afford...  after they are banned, they will triple in price...  buy low, sell high!..  

In addition, if "high capacity" mags are banned, they will no longer be offered for sale to the public at retail.  The previously produced 20s, 30s, etc. don't stop working and they are not unlawful to possess...  You just can't get any new ones...  lots of "used" mags are out there...  I stocked up on 20s and 30s (PMAGs) before the november 2008 election in anticipation of them becoming unobtainium.  It's 10 years later and many are still in their original wrappings and all are still available...

Enjoy your 5 rounders & shoot them in good health!  

Originally Posted By AASG:
It's for hunting. I know at least in Oregon semi autos rifles are limited to 5 rnd capacity for hunting. Just like how shotguns are limited to 2+1 capacity.
View Quote
Same in Florida...
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Not from around here is an odd statement for a forum on the internet, but no, I guess I'm not. I'm from Nevada and we only have the restrictions while hunting game other than varmints (coyotes). The 30's really don't bode well while hunting if for no other reason than the added weight you don't need while trying to hold over. The 10 is pretty much ideal in my book. What I'm hoping for the most is that people will come to their senses and not make a reactionary gun control decision. The NRA is pretty good and putting pressure on during these periods and you have to give them a lot of credit for taking the heat for us. Lets pray they don't do anything regarding mags but I'm ready if they do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Fair enough...  I do own a few (2 or 3) 5ers.  Don't use them except for hunting which isn't all that often...  I usually end up using a larger caliber (30-something) and different action (bolt or lever) for hunting...  In terms of mag size - for me 20 is the sweet spot...
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#47]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Fair enough...  I do own a few (2 or 3) 5ers.  Don't use them except for hunting which isn't all that often...  I usually end up using a larger caliber (30-something) and different action (bolt or lever) for hunting...  In terms of mag size - for me 20 is the sweet spot...
View Quote
Agree, the AR is fun to use for hunting if the conditions are right. I have a 6.5 Grendel that I expect to be fun on a ranch hog hunt. I built a 22" .308 that I thought I would be able to use for deer hunting but after I got it to behave like I wanted I think it will spend most of it's life as a really nice range gun. I just bought a Win Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 (went back and forth between .300 Win Mag, 30-06 and 7mm Win Mag) because the 30-06 is a round that I've hunted with for most of my life so I know what it can and can't do. There's a post in the precision rifles section that show the new Win and tells about it. Its a rifle that was made for hunting and one that I can easily pack all day in all types of terrain.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Even if mag restrictions happen, and I do think its likely to happen at some point, its unlikely there will be a confiscation or making the mags that are already sold illegal.  It will more than likely be similar to MD where it isn't illegal to own mags over 10 rounds but it is illegal to sell mags over 10 rounds.  If thats the case you want to be buying larger capacity mags.  the smaller capacity ones will be available later but the larger ones not so much.  I do agree about the shorter mags.  I don't like overly long mags in my AR 20 rounders are about right and thats what I buy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:42:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#49]
I was in Sportsman's warehouse yesterday and there was a whole rack of 5 round .223/.556 and .308 mags. It may have been there before but I don't remember seeing it. I certainly don't think Sportsman's Warehouse is trying to predict the future in fact I think they're there to accommodate the folks that use their AR's for hunting. All I'm saying is that if you do want them, that's where you might find them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I didnt realize CTR was still paying people to post 87 time a day on here. You are all being concern trolled.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top