Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2020 2:43:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunsandgear]
I am going to buy one of these MPA BA PMR “Pro” Competition Rifles unless anyone cares to talk me out of it. I'm all ears. It will be my first precision bolt gun and I am looking to get it in 6.5 CM with a 26" M24 profile barrel, exactly how this model comes from the factory. If anything I would probably cerakote the barrel because I'm not into the polished stainless look.

I have always leaned more towards "tactical" builds but I'm thinking I want something I can potentially shoot PRS with at some point. It's not a huge concern and this barrel is going to need to be replaced at a little over 2k rounds anyways so I could always go shorter than 26" initially. One buddy is trying to convince me to get an Accuracy International bolt gun and another is saying a semi-auto LMT or LWRC in 6.5 CM... Not sure what to do here.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have their chassis, absolutely love it, a couple guys here have their complete rifles, as far as I have heard they all love them and recommend them..I am sure they will be on here posting soon...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gunsandgear:
I am going to buy one of these MPA BA PMR “Pro” Competition Rifles unless anyone cares to talk me out of it. I'm all ears. It will be my first precision bolt gun and I am looking to get it in 6.5 CM with a 24" M24 profile barrel, exactly how this model comes from the factory. If anything I would probably cerakote the barrel because I'm not into the polished stainless look.

I have always leaned more towards "tactical" builds but I'm thinking I want something I can potentially shoot PRS with at some point. It's not a huge concern and this barrel is going to need to be replaced at a little over 2k rounds anyways so I could always go shorter than 24" initially. One buddy is trying to convince me to get an Accuracy International bolt gun and another is saying a semi-auto LMT or LWRC in 6.5 CM... Not sure what to do here.

https://masterpiecearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/MPA-2020-PMR-Pro-a-scaled.jpg
View Quote

I wouldn't mind having one in .300 Win Mag just because I have some brass. But wife decided she wanted a New Used tractor I found for decent price. So my toy collecting will be put on hold for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Your buddy isn't wrong about getting an AI. My son shoots for them and has several. His #1 rig has over 40,000 rounds through it and I couldn't tell you how many barrels he's been through to get that many rounds down range. I shot it one time. Had never even dry fired it and BINGO!!! 1165 yard impact!! I have one now. Soon to get another in 6CM.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
don't waste your money on coating the barrel it will wear out in short order and have to be replaced if you are using it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:26:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperDutyMikeMc] [#7]
Another +1 on not coating the barrel. If you shoot with any regularity, that barrel is going to be done in 6-10 months, and you'll have to do it all over again with the new one. Trust me, I've been there.

Regarding the AI, screw that mess. You know what other bolt actions can go 40,000+ rounds? Every other custom action on the planet. There are also several on the market that offer quick change barrel features. Only takes a barrel vise and a 'rear entry action wrench'. With a battery impact wrench, it takes me less than a minute to swap out shouldered barrels, and they headspace the same every singe time.

That MPA will be a good rig and will serve you well.

BTW - The cost of the rig and barrels are going to be inconsequential. If you get into shooting competitively, the real cost is going to be components. Don't even entertain a gas gun, and skip the extra cost of the AI, and dump all that savings into enough components to burn out your first barrel.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
@AKSnowRider Rifle looks great. Is that the Tungsten finish on the chassis?

I meant to write that I'm going with a 26" M24 profile barrel, not 24", unless anyone wants to talk me out of that.

Understood about coating the barrel, I guess I should just save the $70 to put towards a new barrel that I know I'll be needing sooner rather than later.

Anything else gentlemen? Thank you for all the info so far. I'm all ears for other yays, nays, concerns...

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#9]
Mine is FDE, as for accessories...the  bag rider shown is my preferred(Mine came with the monopod, and I bought the original bag rider) but use the one shown in your picture and prefer it...The spigot is a must have if you run a bipod..I run the Atlas NC PRS bipod and use the RAT Rail mount so I can use the Arco-Swiss rail on the rifle and the spigot...Its nice being able to slide the bipod from the end of the spigot to almost touching the magazine as needed for a shooting position....I use the same barricade stop they show in your pic as well...They do make an adjustable cheekrest now I wouldn't mind trying, but it will have to wait for now..I also run their scope mount, absolutely love it as well, very light, very solid and very strong...

OH, if you run a magneto speed, they make a mount for it so it doesn't hang off the barrel...I use Labrador, but if I used a magneto speed, I would use their mount for it...
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
@aksnowrider

Do you think the folding chassis is worth it? I was going to go with the fixed chassis that comes standard with the model I linked but the folding chassis seems great for travel. Any other things the folding chassis comes in handy for?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I went with the folder, I actually broke it, out hunting, I fell and ended up landing on the rifle and it popped the folder..I ended up having to tear it apart and file down a couple burrs to get it to lock up enough to be shootable..Worked fine for the rest of the trip, called MPA and they sent me a new updated one...Had I not had the folder, I am sure it would have broken the chassis...I went with the folder because the rifle is so long..almost 52" I carry it in a dragbag which fits it perfectly..I would not hesitate to do the folder again...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I went with the folder, I actually broke it, out hunting, I fell and ended up landing on the rifle and it popped the folder..I ended up having to tear it apart and file down a couple burrs to get it to lock up enough to be shootable..Worked fine for the rest of the trip, called MPA and they sent me a new updated one...Had I not had the folder, I am sure it would have broken the chassis...I went with the folder because the rifle is so long..almost 52" I carry it in a dragbag which fits it perfectly..I would not hesitate to do the folder again...
View Quote

Wow, you actually got a response from MPA.  My response time, from MPA, either by phone or email, have been an averaged of at least 2 weeks.

Having said that, I have two MPA's, one 308-BA, and a second one 300NM-BA
I am happy with the rifle and precision, the 300NM-BA prints 1/2 MOA groups with Berger ammo...impressive
I like the pistol grip, with the thumb rest on the right side.
I am planning to design and print wrist supports around that grip.
The Short Action takes AI AW 308 magazine, and will require modifications (on mine) for the Magpul magazines to work.  The new one have adjustable mag release to accommodate different magazines.

I like the idea of a folder, maybe I'll look into getting the folder stock to replace my fixed stock, like my AI AX's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got an MPA 6.5BA rifle.

They build a Damn fine rifle.  I love the Curtis axiom bolt lift effort and a 60° throw is tits.  

The chassis is one of the best I've ever used.  Rock solid, ergonomic, and plenty adjustable.  I love putting new shooters behind it and watching their face light up when they connect at 900-1k yards.

Just threw on a TBAC Ultra 9 on it.  I have trouble shooting prone now due to all the boners.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#14]
My only comment would be to go to a 6mm of some sort. I have a 6 Creed and several 6.5s and can't come up with any reason to not go 6 on future stuff. Lighter recoil, similar or better ballistics.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:53:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Halo05] [#15]
I've got an MPA BA PMR in 6.5 creedmoor. It's INSANE how well it shoots. I put together some 140 ELDM hand loads and shot a 4.5" 5-shot group at 1,000 yards.

Hornady American gunner (affordable bulk ammo for those that don't know) printed just over 10" at 1,000 yards.

MPA rifles are the best kept secret on the market. All from a rifle that cost me $1,650.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Halo05:
I've got an MPA BA PMR in 6.5 creedmoor. It's INSANE how well it shoots. I put together some 140 ELDM hand loads and shot a 4.5" 5-shot group at 1,000 yards.

Hornady American gunner (affordable bulk ammo for those that don't know) printed just over 10" at 1,000 yards.

MPA rifles are the best kept secret on the market. All from a rifle that cost me $1,650.
View Quote

@Halo05 Which rifle did you go with that only cost $1,650?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag for interest. Have $2500ish for a rifle and am looking at all possible options.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I can't answer the question but I've seen some of the distributors will offer rifles well below MSRP.  I've been tempted more than once.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

When the PRS cap was $2k, there was a 1999 MSRP model out. I would suspect it was that one
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Dahlonega armory, it was the PMR which was their sub 2k PRS production rifle
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:
Tag for interest. Have $2500ish for a rifle and am looking at all possible options.
View Quote

I paid ~$2,700 for the standard BA a couple years ago.  Curtis custom axiom action and Spencer barrel.  MSRP was 3,100 at the time.

If you shop around, you can find them cheaper than MSRP. Just make sure you're buying the latest model with all upgrades.  Otherwise, you'll have to send it in for updates to MPA.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

They have a rifle/chassis on sale at MPA now,

https://masterpiecearms.com/inventory-clearance/

You can also check what their stocking dealers have in stock..

https://masterpiecearms.com/platinum-dealer-inventory/

You can also buy/supply an action and have them build a complete rifle for you...

https://masterpiecearms.com/mpa-ba-evolution/
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:42:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SurtrsFire] [#23]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

They have a rifle/chassis on sale at MPA now,

https://masterpiecearms.com/inventory-clearance/

You can also check what their stocking dealers have in stock..

https://masterpiecearms.com/platinum-dealer-inventory/

You can also buy/supply an action and have them build a complete rifle for you...

https://masterpiecearms.com/mpa-ba-evolution/
View Quote

decided to bump the price up to $4000ish for just the rifle so ive been looking at a impact build or maybe a defiance/manners build.

still keeping mpa on the table though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]

decided to bump the price up to $4000ish for just the rifle so ive been looking at a impact build or maybe a defiance/manners build.

still keeping mpa on the table though.
View Quote

Have you shot an MPA chassis? they are an excellent chassis, and I prefer them over stocks now...you know for 4 grand you could send them a defiance action and have them build you a really, really nice rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, after a decent amount of research I pulled the trigger on the MPA BA PMR "Pro". I was able to get a slight discount and that sealed the deal for me. I added the folding stock option as well (thanks @AKSnowRider). Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. If I could have gotten one of the Tikka T3X Tac A1s in 6.5 CM for as cheap as I saw them a year or two ago (under $1500) I probably would have gone with that but the MPA seems like a lot more rifle for a very similar price. As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Congrats G&G, you will love it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#27]
For what it’s worth, my MPA BA PMR (their budget production offering) With a Nikon Fx1000 just shot .4 MOA at 1,400 yards, including a hit on the 6” bullseye plate.

I worked up a handload for it, and it’s an absolute laser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top