Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2020 4:03:07 PM EDT
Probably been covered to death, but haven’t found much in the search. Going to be taking a trip to northern Ohio for a 1000 yard range day, and need a new scope before the. Was leaning towards the new strike Eagle 5-25 but unsure of MOA or MIL. I know mil is probably more common but moa seems like it would be easier to use for me. But I have no experience so I’m not sure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Another inexperienced user here. I got moa for my lvpo. It's reticle is configured with the same barrel length and ammo type that I use so I figured it'd be easier.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Most will think "MOA" is easier. But to my mind.. they are both measurements of angle, and as long as you learn the formula to calculate range, hold over, etc.. both are just as easy to use/understand.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I use milrad on my long distance scopes, when you compare moa to mil, the angular difference is smaller but with 1/10 milrad turrets the difference is negligible.

They both do the same thing, so as posted,  pick one and go with it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
I like MILs because the systems is decimal so it feels faster/easier to do math in your head...  although strangely enough, scope base cant is always expressed in MOA!  Why doesn't any well known manufacturers sell a 6, 9, or 12 mil base
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Both are angular. You will have issues when people start trying to bring in linear conversions which are not needed or even wanted. The scope adjusts in angular, your ballistic program will give you angular data and you will use a reticle in an angular so where is linear? No where. Only linear you need to worry about is you range to target which doesn't matter if you have a MOA or mil scope and the target size if you want to range with the reticle and again it doesn't matter if mil or moa as both have formulas you would use. 

And when someone posts that MOA is finer, disregard it as the actual difference between 1/4 MOA and .1 mil is less than you will shoot the difference of in actual use. 

So bottom line is pick one you are comfortable with and if you shoot with friends then one they use so spotting shot corrections and sharing data is easier.
View Quote

I agree with Rob, shoot what most of the people around you shoot or what competitors shoot if you compete..either will work just fine, neither is "better", it's just what is most comfortable for you...
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

I agree with Rob, shoot what most of the people around you shoot or what competitors shoot if you compete..either will work just fine, neither is "better", it's just what is most comfortable for you...
View Quote

I don’t have any friends that shoot. Would like to maybe do comps so day, but getting to the range will be the first step.

Thanks for the advice so far. Learning towards mil as it seems to be more common reading from the pages. Either one is going to be a learning curve since I’ve never shot at distance before
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By @Rob01:
Mil would be a good move then if you are starting from the ground up and no one you know shoots. That said what type of matches are you talking as some are moa heavy. 

View Quote

The place I’m going to does PRS matches and PRS.22 matches 250 and under. It’s all a pipe dream as I’m super nervous to even try one but would like the option lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Smid:
Probably been covered to death, but haven’t found much in the search. Going to be taking a trip to northern Ohio for a 1000 yard range day, and need a new scope before the. Was leaning towards the new strike Eagle 5-25 but unsure of MOA or MIL. I know mil is probably more common but moa seems like it would be easier to use for me. But I have no experience so I’m not sure.
View Quote

Mil.  Easier math.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Went with the mil version, thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top