Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2021 12:08:51 AM EDT
Getting parts together for a 6.5sst upper build and wondering if there is any measurable difference between the M5 and M5E1 as far as strength and/or isolating barrel from handguard flex.

Here’s how I got here.

My usual routine is get an M5 upper and send it to mike at Dtech for truing. I prefer the forged just because they’re stronger, cheaper, and when it comes to precision, I don’t care what it looks like.
This build will be using a magnum gas system, and while researching handguards for a built in arca rail I came across Sgt or Arms handguards. Their website says they took more trophies in the PRS Gas Gun series than anyone else over the last couple years and their hand guards are made specifically to mount to the M5E1. So I started researching any inherent differences between the two uppers as far as precision goes. The only thing I found was a video of one of the guys from Seekins Precision talking about how thin a normal upper is at the barrel nut and how it is lacking the strength that the built-in systems like AP and Seekins have. He mentioned how loading one leg of the bipod heavier than the other can cause the handguard to flex and put pressure on the barrel nut. Made some sense. So here I am wondering if the enhanced uppers really isolate the barrel nut that much. I’m still waiting to hear back from Mike on whether he can true the enhanced uppers. If he says no, then it’s probably a non-issue for me. His cnc truing has taken more off my groups in the past that I thought possible. I don’t really trust the hand lapping truing kits like g&g or that b.a.r.t. one.

Does anybody know if the enhanced receivers are a favorite among competition Gas Gunners? I guess when I saw that Sgt of Arms was so successful and there product was precifically geared towards prs and the m5e1, it made me curious.

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top