User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Next time out will be a quick trip to the 100 for a final zeroing of the scope then straight to the 600 yard line. That's as far as I can go locally. Ultimately I'd like to take it out to 1000+, but at this point I don't even know where the closest 1000 yard range is.
View Quote
Any interest in match shooting?  Depending where you are in the state there is a growing scene for that
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Any interest in match shooting?  Depending where you are in the state there is a growing scene for that
View Quote
My range has PRS matches pretty regularly, been meaning to get out there to check it out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My range has PRS matches pretty regularly, been meaning to get out there to check it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Seems like they've got a good series there.  It's a great thing to get into.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I just checked the club calendar and the series is called “practical precision rifle” rather than PRS and it appears they’re done for the year. I guess that gives me the winter to get me and this gun sorted out. It's something I always kinda wanted to do but never had the time, but my kids just left for college this year and suddenly I have a lot more time on weekends.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, the 26" Howa produced groups during load development that were similar to what you described.  Less than ideal conditions that day, but the wind didn't create these "patterns" we saw on paper.

The owner was unaffected by it.  Said that it took about 150 rounds for the barrel to settle down.

He suggested you try the 140 Berger hybrid target over h4350 and the 140eldm you've already developed.  I know he was loading the bergers at 2.9 COAL.

Don't know how far north you are, but my range has access to 1200meters with plate racks at 500,550,600,700,800,900,1k, 1100, and 1200.  Moving plates at 300, 500, and soon to be 700.  If you're ever in the NWTN area, shoot me an IM and I'll get you out there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rob78:
Don't know how far north you are, but my range has access to 1200meters with plate racks at 500,550,600,700,800,900,1k, 1100, and 1200.  Moving plates at 300, 500, and soon to be 700.  If you're ever in the NWTN area, shoot me an IM and I'll get you out there.
View Quote
Thank you, that's a generous offer that I may take you up on at some point. I'm in northern Illinois, but I'm no stranger to a bit of travel in the name of fun.

150 rounds, yep. This one started to settle down at around 160 and was shooting quite nicely by 200.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, the 26" Howa produced groups during load development that were similar to what you described.  Less than ideal conditions that day, but the wind didn't create these "patterns" we saw on paper.

The owner was unaffected by it.  Said that it took about 150 rounds for the barrel to settle down.

He suggested you try the 140 Berger hybrid target over h4350 and the 140eldm you've already developed.  I know he was loading the bergers at 2.9 COAL.

View Quote
Is that K&M?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TXBO:
Is that K&M?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is that K&M?
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Yes.
View Quote
Nice.  You live in one of the prettiest areas of the country with arguably the finest place to train on the planet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Nice.  You live in one of the prettiest areas of the country with arguably the finest place to train on the planet.
View Quote

If you can get past how rural we are, it's not bad.

I'm going to save up and take some training from Shannon.  He had a class out there last weekend for comprehensive long range precision rifle.  Not cheap, but the guy runs things like a well-oiled machine.  I get a member discount, but it's still spendy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]

If you can get past how rural we are, it's not bad.

I'm going to save up and take some training from Shannon.  He had a class out there last weekend for comprehensive long range precision rifle.  Not cheap, but the guy runs things like a well-oiled machine.  I get a member discount, but it's still spendy.
View Quote
It's on my list of things to do.  I know a couple of people that took courses from Shannon that said they got more than their money's worth.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys are making me drool a bit with all the fancy hardware. I'd like to own something like that at some point, but I'm going to go though a barrel or two with the Howa to get myself sorted, then I'll look to something more serious.

And just for some closure for anyone following my little saga here, load development is done and now it's time to just go shoot the thing.

10 shots, 140 grain ELD-M, 42.7 H4350, CCI BR-2, 2.82 COAL-
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/461668/140_eldm_h4350_10_shots_jpg-712580.JPG
View Quote
Wow.  Nice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top