Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2020 11:51:18 PM EDT
I've been recommended the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x scope for my LMT308 MWS with 16in barrel.
Why not go 5-25x magnification?  It's only 1x difference on the low end but you get much more magnification on the high end for identifying targets.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By M4A1:
I've been recommended the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x scope for my LMT308 MWS with 16in barrel.
Why not go 5-25x magnification?  It's only 1x difference on the low end but you get much more magnification on the high end for identifying targets.

Thoughts?
View Quote
the 4-16 has a better field of view, larger exit pupil and is a half pound lighter.

What do you want to identify and at what distances,  often times during the summer when its hot,  Higher mag optics may have to be dialed back to be effective thus negating much of the higher mag range.

No wrong choices, just what makes most sense for your aplication
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
the 4-16 has a better field of view, larger exit pupil and is a half pound lighter.

What do you want to identify and at what distances,  often times during the summer when its hot,  Higher mag optics may have to be dialed back to be effective thus negating much of the higher mag range.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
Originally Posted By M4A1:

Thoughts?

Excellent info, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#3]
You’re getting a considerably bigger scope for little appreciable gain. I really doubt you spend much time at the higher end towards 25X, and if you are, you probably don’t need to be. Also consider that after a few rounds your mirage is going to start to dick up your view if you crank it up that high anyway.

If this were a slow-fire 6.5CM for shooting up around 1k, and/or something only meant to be shot from a supported position, I’d say otherwise. As is, even the 4-16 is a lot to me. My 16” .308 MWS usually has a 1-8 LPVO and I do not feel it hamstrings me in any meaningful way.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
You're getting a considerably bigger scope for little appreciable gain. I really doubt you spend much time at the higher end towards 25X, and if you are, you probably don't need to be. Also consider that after a few rounds your mirage is going to start to dick up your view if you crank it up that high anyway.

If this were a slow-fire 6.5CM for shooting up around 1k, and/or something only meant to be shot from a supported position, I'd say otherwise. As is, even the 4-16 is a lot to me. My 16" .308 MWS usually has a 1-8 LPVO and I do not feel it hamstrings me in any meaningful way.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight, more great info.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the market for an optic for my MWS as well. (Only have the lower so far though.)
The ones I've been considering are the Leupold mark 5 3.6-18x, Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x, and if I somehow make more money, the S&B ultra short 3-20x.
I like the wider magnification range of these over the 4-16 or 3-12 options. Personal preference though. Also have debated a 1-8 and the new Razor 1-10.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been running a Leupold MK6 3.5-18 on my MWS for many years now. The 3-18X is great for the MWS IMHO enough top end magnification to not handicap you in the least and the ability to quickly dial back for better field of view when needed. Even at the 1100-1300M range it is rare that I dial above 14X when behind the MWS.

I run a 3-25x on my .338 bolt gun and even when shooting at 1500-1600M I rarely dial above the 18X range for field of view reasons in addition to mirage reduction. When your field of view decreases it becomes more difficult to pick up your own trace and to rapidly get back on target. You will also save some weight with a 3-18X optic verses a 5-25X which if you have to carry the rifle makes a difference after a while regardless of how fit you are. But then again I regularly hike and shoot at over 10,000 MSL.
In low light you will never use the top magnification on any optic as it gets real dark real fast when you dial up the magnification. Even with CNVD most of the time I am shooting around 10X or less.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#7]
In the past I ran both Nightforce 2.5-10 and 5.5-22.

Loved both but if you are only shooting from the bench then go for the 5.5-22. If mobile, get the smaller NXS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:20:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hatari] [#8]
I’m looking at the NF NX8 2.5-20 for my LMT.  Trying to decide on reticle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top