Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2020 2:47:28 AM EDT
I have been running a $20 pawnshop rangefinder for several years, and it is ok out to 2-300 yards, but past 300 I have been having trouble getting a lock on 3 gun targets.  Some of my problem is the crappy rangefinder and some is that it is fairly crude so I have issues holding steady on the targets.

My intended usage is for 3 gun rifle targets (the farthest I remember shooting at was around 800) and PRS match targets (likely also under 1K, but much smaller targets).  I don't need the ability to range anything with fur.  Right now I am vascilating between the 1000y Vortex for $200(ish) and the 1800y Vortex at $350(ish), because I really like their scopes, but I am open to other options but it is really difficult to differentiate between the gazillion models available just researching on the internet without being able to try them out in person.

So, first I would like to address the Vortex options, specifically the two current options vs any of their previous models that might fill my needs for a discount.  The Ranger 1800 seems to have more features, and I have read that using a rangefinder close to the max of its ability is less reliable or accurate than ranging closer to the middle of its capability.  But is it $150 better than the Impact 1000?  Then, are there other options/brands that I should consider - new or used, that would fit my needs better?
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Im sent
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay I have responded to the IM, discussed options, and I still need a new rangefinder.  So unless anybody else wants to offer to sell me Rangefinder, I would sincerely like some advice on rangefinders.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want vortex, get the 1800, have heard good things about it.. If you are open to anything Sigs kilo RF's have been top of the charts short of spending thousands of dollars for mil spec stuff.. the kilo 2200 or 2400 are excellent RF's, and I use the 2400, most won't want the 2400 due to the full weather station and AB ballistics app on board, but it has been flawless for my uses...
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
nikon black 4k range finder and you can't go wrong
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I would definitely look at the Sig Kilo line.

I've been playing with the 1400,1600, and 2200 for the last week or so.

Any one of them would suit your purpose.

The 1600 and 2200 have an illuminated display.

Optics are surprisingly good for not being $$$$.

The BDX app works pretty darn well.
Once you have a load set-up in your phone, the rangefinder learns it and will display the distance for 2 seconds, followed by an MOA correction.
If you get the Sig scopes, they link all together and a little dot pops up on your reticle of where to hold.

I returned all but the 1600 as I got an extremely good deal.
Taking it out this afternoon to sight in a couple rifles and look for bears.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
If you want vortex, get the 1800, have heard good things about it.. If you are open to anything Sigs kilo RF's have been top of the charts short of spending thousands of dollars for mil spec stuff.. the kilo 2200 or 2400 are excellent RF's, and I use the 2400, most won't want the 2400 due to the full weather station and AB ballistics app on board, but it has been flawless for my uses...
View Quote

Well I ended up finding a Vortex 1800 on Amazon Warehouse for $260, so I couldnt pass that up....
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:

Well I ended up finding a Vortex 1800 on Amazon Warehouse for $260, so I couldnt pass that up....
View Quote

Good, hope it works great for you...
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#8]
I have a Sig Kilo and it has been good to go.

Good deal on the Vortex. They make great stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Rangefinders are good, on average, for 50% of their advertised range. Less in extremely bright overhead sun at low latitudes. Buy twice as much rangefinder as you think you'll need and you'll probably not have a bad time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
8 Rangefinders Tested Head-to-Head: Which was best for hunting and shooting?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top