Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 12:11:13 AM EDT
How are they? Looking at a 1500 barreled action. A few years back I seem to recall they were recommended a lot but not so much now. Seems Tikka, Bergerra, and Ruger are the rifles in favor currently.

Any known issues or down sides to the Howa actions?

Thinking about getting a 6.5 and doing a chassis build. I do not care for how most chassis look but found one I kind of like. I have zero interest in a Ruger precision rifle. Just exploring options and doing some research for now.

I have a Remington and a FNH but do not shoot either a lot and would consider myself a beginner shooter.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Weatherby quality. Good stuff IMO
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
They get good reviews on some of the other boards I am member of that deal with long rang tactical rifles. You get guaranteed sub moa accuracy for a great price.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: budasc] [#3]
Howa Mini Action- 6.5 grendel

Howa Mini Action, heavy barrel, 6.5 Grendel with Boyd Stock

as said, good stuff IMO
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Pickup mine tomorrow based on many recomnendations.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had my 1500 for 8 years .223
I'll never sell it
it is the most accurate gun I've ever shot

my brother has had 2 of them 22-250 and .308
and still has one he build with a barreled action .223

gtg
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheapest way to build a good chassis rifle. Wayyyy underpriced for the quality.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The Howa 1500 is a steal. The receiver and barrel threads are metric which limits the number or barrel makers to a few right now. The Weatherby Vanguard is a 1500 but with Weatherby specific upgrades. I don't have a 1500 but I do have a couple of Vanguards. Both (.308 and 270) got Hogue Fully Bedded stocks and shoot sub moa. The .308 is getting a Boyd's At-One because both rifles have hunting barrels and I want to bed them better.

I just bought a Bergara B14 HMR that I like more than the Vanguards. It's a 6.5 C in a over molded full chassis with a bull barrel that stays pretty cool and shoots sub moa with factory ammo. If you figure the cost of the chassis into your cost equation, you end up pretty much at the high retail of the Bergara. The Bergara is also patterned more closely to the Rem 700 so lots of options with less expensive parts. For those reasons I will not buy any more Vanguards and will stay away from the Howa.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
They are excellent rifles.

They do take 100-150 rounds to settle down, but the barrels are shooters.

If you're not going to hunt, get the heavier profile barrel.  They'll take longer strings of fire before heating up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a heavy barrel Howa a few months ago from Brownells. Found a steal of a deal on a KRG chassis. Feels very nice, just haven't had a chance to shoot yet.

I had to modify the factory trigger a bit by cutting a spring on the inside, but for factory its a good trigger.

Not the best picture and awaiting funds for better scope.

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Really very good looking rifle, do you mind to share where you got the KRG chasis  deal?
I have a Howa 1500 action need to finish.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By adjani76:
Really very good looking rifle, do you mind to share where you got the KRG chasis  deal?
I have a Howa 1500 action need to finish.
Thanks
View Quote
I got it from KRG during their Labor day sale. It's a Bravo rear with X-Ray front. Really like the chassis but have to wait to shoot for RMA for Howa to fix short chamber.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:15:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#12]
Got my 6.5 G barreled action from Brownells.  Only about 100 rds down range so far with Hornady AG 123 gr. and it is an moa shooter. I'm liking the short action, Howa's bolt action is very smooth, close to my Tikka T3.  I'm using Boyd's AT One stock, bedded the recoil lug with JB Weld putty.

Only minor gripe is the trigger guard/mag housing, it is made of cheap resin, probably okay to use but I found a much better one by DiP Inc. http://www.diproductsinc.com/Howa_it-1371404.aspx?CAT=12462

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The Howa 1500's are solid shooters! The HACT trigger is good and easily adjustable. Here is the one I put together from a barreled action from Brownells, a KRG Bravo stock & a Burris XTR-II 5-25 scope ...

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Love mine 1500 mini in 6.5 grendel. It's in a brownells chassis with sightron mtac, warne rings and base. Sub moa with hornady black, if i do my part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top