Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2023 3:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL]
I have a Wilson Combat 18" rifle gas 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

I HIGHLY suspect it is not an AR15 gas port nor an AR10 gas port, but somewhere in the middle.

I have a JP HP bolt and carrier. The AR15 gas tube is about 3/16" too short. I am concerned the AR10 rifle gas tube will be about 3/16" too long and bottom out in the carrier key.

Where EXACTLY do I measure from and to on the barre? Center of gas port and to where? And what should the gas system length be for AR10 or AR15 rifle length?

I have already wasted about $100 in ammo and can't get the the barrel to run unsuppressed with a wide open gas setting but it is so over-gassed with a can it is ridiculous.

I don't want to chase my tail if the barrel is defective.

Any stats on measuring gas system length on LR308 pattern rifles is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you asked Wilson?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
WC sells a different tube for their AR10 RLGS.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GAS-TUBE-RIFLE-LENGTH-AR-10/productinfo/TR%2DGTR%2D10/

This 15.5” long, extended stainless steel gas tube is what we use in our large bore AR10 builds.  The slightly longer length gives you a better seal with AR10/LR308/SR25 style gas keys for improved reliability and performance.

NOTE: Not compatible with AR15 “rifle length” gas systems.

Stainless steel
15.5” length for improved performance in large caliber AR10/LR308/SR25 style builds
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:05:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK3110:
WC sells a different tube for their AR10 RLGS.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GAS-TUBE-RIFLE-LENGTH-AR-10/productinfo/TR%2DGTR%2D10/

This 15.5” long, extended stainless steel gas tube is what we use in our large bore AR10 builds.  The slightly longer length gives you a better seal with AR10/LR308/SR25 style gas keys for improved reliability and performance.

NOTE: Not compatible with AR15 “rifle length” gas systems.

Stainless steel
15.5” length for improved performance in large caliber AR10/LR308/SR25 style builds
View Quote

If you read the reviews, one of them mentions using their AR10 rifle length tube and it bottoming out on a JP carrier key because it is too long on their 18" Wilson Combat barrel. This is almost the exact set up I am running. Wilson Combat 18" rifle gas length and JP bolt/carrier.

I am aware of the issues with people running AR15 gas tubes on AR10 length gas systems. I am also aware of the reverse. The problem is I suspect a gas system length 3/16" between the two. I just need hard data to prove or disprove my theory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top