Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2022 3:46:16 PM EDT
So a large majority of my precision shooting has been with 22s that weigh a lot with a front rest and rear bag.  I typically have been minimizing contact other than to keep my eye in the view for my scopes (32x w/ 44mm objective don't leave a lot of wiggle room) and minimal right hand contact and of course the trigger.

Discovered today that really doesn't work for centerfire, even for 223, so I was having troubles shooting consistent groups, 2" or so at 100 yards with mostly vertical stringing and not a lot of left/right variation.  Once I figured that out, my last few groups tightened up and I was able to get several moa or just under groups at 100 yards (great, 'cause I was testing reloads for accuracy with a new bullet too) but what should've been a .5 moa 5 shot group became a 2 shot .25 group about .75 inch away and directly above a 3 shot .4 moa group...  

Same ammo, long stringy group shot with minimal touch, much smaller group shot with more shoulder contact but apparently still a little too light of a touch... I think I'm headed right way, but any words of wisdom to share?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Take some old blue jeans  cut off the legs and sew them up filled with dry whole corn.

Consistent cheekweld is important on magnified optics. With a red dot cheek weld is not an issue
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top