Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2018 12:41:33 PM EDT
I am building a 6.5 creed LR 308 and I am having trouble deciding on what bolt I want to use.  After reading several threads between forums, I understand that a high pressure bolt is important.  I have heard talk about the JP bolt but was wondering if there were any other brands anyone has had good performance from.  Also, those of you using the JP bolt, are you using it in a standard bcg or with the JP low mass bcg?

Have any of you found that you had to run certain buffer or buffer springs with certain bolts or does that seem to be build specific?  I have an adjustable gas block on every single AR I own just because it makes sense.  It seems like a lot of gas issues can be solved that way on a LR 308 build also. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't aware that 6.5 CM was a high pressure round(abnormally vs normal rifles at about 60k ), early rounds had a mis stated high pressure that might have caused some issues, but dunno.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
6.5 CM is high pressure.

My rifle was initially built with a DPMS LR308 BCG.  I was getting a LOT of primer flow into the firing pin channel.  You don't necessarily need a high pressure bolt, but you should get one that has a reduced firing pin channel diameter, and pin diameter.  There are several brands to choose from and some people have posted this in the past.... and it is always changing.

I installed the JP high pressure bolt and firing pin kit, into my bone stock DPMS LR308 carrier, and zero issues.

On my bolt gun in 6.5CM, I was using a custom rifle built from a Remington 700 in .308 originally.  I was also seeing primer flow into the channel, however it was totally functional and I was able to run my loads up pretty hot and no primer piercings.  However, when I switched to Lapua SR primer brass, I worked up a new load and could barely even reach a "warm" load before I started piercing primers.  I found out this was a very typical experience and I needed to get my bolt sent out to have it bushed and smaller pin installed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info.  That answers my question exactly.  I'll look into a few other brands of hp bolts as well to see if I can find a preference between them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#4]
My 6.5 Creedmoor has a standard bolt in it.  Never had an issue with heavy cratering  or pierced primers until my last box of ammo.  I had two pierced primers and only a slight bit more cratering, but only on that box of ammo.  All others shot that day were normal including ammo shot after the box seeing the issues.

I'll look into an HP bolt here soon to replace the one I have,  but will mess with the gas on mine first as I think it is still over gassed. In addition another buffer is on the way as well.

Either way running an HP bolt is not a bad idea and may be the more prudent way to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard and read the same, used the superlative arms adjustible gas block and the stock psa 308 bolt that comes with their 308 upper and have had no issues.

now I have only put a couple hundred rounds through it. But all the primers look fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Older Dpms type bolts seem to be the ones that have issues with primer flow and piercing because of the larger pin and channel. I have an Armalite pattern 6.5 and have never had issues with primers. The firing pin and channel may not be as tight as the JP HP but it's better than Dpms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I’ll go with an inexpensive bcg and I’ll order the JP hp bolt. Thank you for all the input!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ABOne3:
I think I’ll go with an inexpensive bcg and I’ll order the JP hp bolt. Thank you for all the input!
View Quote
If you are looking to save money - Aero Phosphate BCG's are designed for high pressure and come with a smaller pin:

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-10-lr-308/ar-10-lr-308-upper-receiver-parts/ar-10-lr-308-bolts-carriers/aero-precision-308-bolt-carrier-group/
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
6.5 CM is high pressure.

My rifle was initially built with a DPMS LR308 BCG.  I was getting a LOT of primer flow into the firing pin channel.  You don't necessarily need a high pressure bolt, but you should get one that has a reduced firing pin channel diameter, and pin diameter.  There are several brands to choose from and some people have posted this in the past.... and it is always changing.

I installed the JP high pressure bolt and firing pin kit, into my bone stock DPMS LR308 carrier, and zero issues.

On my bolt gun in 6.5CM, I was using a custom rifle built from a Remington 700 in .308 originally.  I was also seeing primer flow into the channel, however it was totally functional and I was able to run my loads up pretty hot and no primer piercings.  However, when I switched to Lapua SR primer brass, I worked up a new load and could barely even reach a "warm" load before I started piercing primers.  I found out this was a very typical experience and I needed to get my bolt sent out to have it bushed and smaller pin installed.
View Quote
6.5 Creedmoor has the same 62K SAAMI maximum pressure as 308 Winchester. The JP bolt simply has a smaller diameter firing pin. I get cratering and primer flow with 308 Win using regular AR10/AR308 bolts too. "High Pressure" is a misnomer.

The JP bolt and LM carrier are worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ian187:
6.5 Creedmoor has the same 62K SAAMI maximum pressure as 308 Winchester. The JP bolt simply has a smaller diameter firing pin. I get cratering and primer flow with 308 Win using regular AR10/AR308 bolts too. "High Pressure" is a misnomer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
6.5 CM is high pressure.

Interesting.

I took same bolt, same gun, and rebarreled it from .308 to 6.5CM.

Same primers (CCI BR2) but I immediately noticed a lot more primer flow around the pin in 6.5 that I did not see in .308.  I was shooting varget and 175's in .308, and H4350 and 140's in 6.5.  Both were fairly warm loads.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.

Same primers (CCI BR2) but I immediately noticed a lot more primer flow around the pin in 6.5 that I did not see in .308.  I was shooting varget and 175's in .308, and H4350 and 140's in 6.5.  Both were fairly warm loads.
View All Quotes
6.5 CM is high pressure.

Interesting.

The term "high pressure" I think is just a way JP distinguishes their small diameter firing pin bolt from bolts with traditional size firing pins. If you read their site they list this warning:

"WARNING: The JP .308HP bolt does not allow for the use of excessive pressure, overloaded ammunition that exceeds SAAMI specifications. When evaluating new ammunition, always start on the low- to mid-range of any published load data and work up. A good indicator of working pressure is the primer retention on the subsequent loading of a case. A noticeable loss of primer pocket tension indicates that your ammunition has excessive pressure and has overworked the case."

As far as cratering goes, there are a lot of variables that contribute. In my case, I think I just have a bolt with a slightly larger FP aperture. It doesn't necessarily hurt anything but it's obvious the FP is too large. The 6CM, 6.5CM, 243Win, 260Rem, etc seem to be more sensitive to primer flow. This is not isolated to the AR10/AR308 platform either, bolt actions suffer from the same problem. Bushing bolt faces and turning firing pins has been going on for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The only bolt or BCG I would run on a 6.5 would be a JP or RCA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:41:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#13]
Has anyone had issues with pierced primers with ammo that has small rifle primers?

A lot of the draw for small rifle brass was that the primers are harder and that there is less stretching of the primer pocket (longer brass life).

Seems like a lot of the issues are from standard off the shelf ammo, which a majority of use large rifle primers.

I got the aero nickel boron (which for some stupid reason is more money but not HP rated), but I'll be reloading exclusively small primer brass.

Wondering if I should sell the bolt and just get the phosphate version. Hell, I've never even shot it... Still working on piecing together my build.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Has anyone had issues with pierced primers with ammo that has small rifle primers?

A lot of the draw for small rifle brass was that the primers are harder and that there is less stretching of the primer pocket (longer brass life).

Seems like a lot of the issues are from standard off the shelf ammo, which a majority of use large rifle primers.

I got the aero nickel boron (which for some stupid reason is more money but not HP rated), but I'll be reloading exclusively small primer brass.

Wondering if I should sell the bolt and just get the phosphate version. Hell, I've never even shot it... Still working on piecing together my build.
View Quote
The aero nib bolt carrier is toolcraft and markedly different than the phosphate one. I put the aero phosphate bcg in my 6.5.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
View Quote
As soon as I switched to Lapua SR brass in my bolt gun, I was piercing primers in all but starting loads in my workups.  When I posted about this - it was discussed as very common.

I'd switch to a JP HP bolt kit if I were you, or swap to the other Aero BCG's with smaller pins.  NiB sucks anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You can also try magnum or "AR"/military primers, they have harder cups. As always, work up loads as different primers will affect pressure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:30:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#17]
Fulton Armory also sells HP bolts.

ETA: WRT heavier buffers/springs, keeping the bolt closed longer helps with brass life.  Early unlocking takes a toll on the case rims and a brisk ejection can dent brass on the shell deflector.

Adjusting your gas block can help some, but if your buffer/spring is too light you won't be able to mitigate early unlocking.  By the time you adjust the gas down enough, you'll have function issues.  Clipping a couple coils off the ejector spring can help, but ultimately you'll want to slow down BCG velocity with a heavier buffer and/or spring.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Both of my 6.5 rifles have the Aero HP bolts.  One has nitride and the other has phosphate.  As mentioned earlier, Aero's NIB BCG is probably toolcraft and has the larger firing pin design.  I also use rifle buffer systems with tungsten buffer weights added.  The buffers weigh about 8oz now.

Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Krieger barrels has a statement on their website about the consistent quality and uniformity of JP bolts.  Their pre-headspaced barrels are setup to use JP bolts, and there is a comment about lack of uniformity among other unnamed brands.

That says a lot to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
It's not really a misnomer. 6.5 Creedmoor is a significantly more overbore cartridge than .308 Win. It has the same operating pressure, but it maintains that pressure longer. Same pressure, trying to escape through a smaller hole. So the Creed will have a higher average pressure over the same period of time when compared to a .308 Win. That is why it burns barrels quicker, and can get pressure signs easier, even without it actually being at an unsafe pressure, thanks to a things like a big aperture.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Vespid_Wasp:
Krieger barrels has a statement on their website about the consistent quality and uniformity of JP bolts.  Their pre-headspaced barrels are setup to use JP bolts, and there is a comment about lack of uniformity among other unnamed brands.

That says a lot to me.
View Quote
Yep, just go JP and you won’t ever have to worry about second guessing your decision
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
You are not correct.  You are only discussing chamber pressures on the Creed and .308 when you stated they are similar, right around the early 60k range (many SA cartridges are around 60k).  When knowledgeable folks are stating that the Creedmoor and other, similar SA cartridges (6's and 6.5's) have higher pressures, they SHOULD be describing the port pressure (at the gas port).

Furthermore, the HP JP bolt does not only have a smaller diameter firing pin, but it also has a smaller firing pin hole, so as to increase "support" of the primer.

As I stated a few weeks ago on the Hide (with regards to a similar post about HP issues in a Creed gasser): There's a reason why the gas over-pressure accessory market has exploded in the past 5 years and it's not because 7.62 has suddenly started causing overgassing issues.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FALex:
You are not correct.  You are only discussing chamber pressures on the Creed and .308 when you stated they are similar, right around the early 60k range (many SA cartridges are around 60k).  When knowledgeable folks are stating that the Creedmoor and other, similar SA cartridges (6's and 6.5's) have higher pressures, they SHOULD be describing the port pressure (at the gas port).

Furthermore, the HP JP bolt does not only have a smaller diameter firing pin, but it also has a smaller firing pin hole, so as to increase "support" of the primer.

As I stated a few weeks ago on the Hide (with regards to a similar post about HP issues in a Creed gasser): There's a reason why the gas over-pressure accessory market has exploded in the past 5 years and it's not because 7.62 has suddenly started causing overgassing issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALex:

That's odd, I don't think bolt actions have gas ports and they suffer from the same problem. Primer flow and pierced primers occur on bolt guns too and are the reason several well know builders use smaller diameter pins. That is also why GreTan turns firing pins and bushes bolt faces. There is nothing higher pressure about Credmore than 243win, 260 Remington, or 308win, which also have this problem. No, I adequately described what is taking place and port pressure has nothing to do with it. As JP specifically states, their "high pressure" bolts are not to be used with ammunition loaded higher than SAAMI pressure. The only difference between a JP "high pressure" bolt and a JP legacy bolt is the firing pin diameter and the firing pin aperture in the bolt face. The fact of the matter is the AR10's firing pin is too large even for 308 and should have been redesigned a long time ago. If you're building a new AR308, regardless of 308 or 6.5C, start with a small diameter firing pin bolt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ian187] [#24]
Here is a somewhat dated JP synopsis on high pressure ammo. Despite the fact that JP incorrectly claims this only effects AR10s, they describe high pressure ammunition effects in their AR10 platform. Not all 308 ammunition is high pressure, specifically 7.62 NATO and other military loadings (which is not 308 Winchester). However, pretty much all precision 308 Winchester ammunition is loaded to the same pressures as Creedmoor. Flip through some load books and you'll see the same working maximums in Creedmoor, 243win, 260 Remington, 7-08, and 308 Winchester. Most powder manufacturers list conservative data at or just under 60K for both 308 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor. So is Creedmore high pressure? Yes. So are all the 308 Winchester based wildcats as well as 308 Winchester itself in the loadings we're discussing. This is the precision section after all. I will also stand by the assertion that "high pressure" is a misnomer in that Creedmoor is loaded to the same pressure as 308 Winchester and both exhibit pressure signs with legacy firing pins and bolts.

High Pressure Ammo: Problems and Solutions
By John Paul
Ammo compatibility in large-frame gas guns has always been a problem. In 2007, we introduced our LRP-07 and found that even some factory .308 exhibited signs of high pressure. Turns out the other .308/7.62 gas-operated AR-10 platforms on the market don't fare much better.

Running .308 through a rifle like the LRP was still doable if you chose your ammo carefully. Start running a non-standard caliber gas gun, and the problem is amplified. This is the case with any of the 6mm or 6.5mm cartridges:

.243 Winchester
6mm Creedmoor
6.5mm Creedmoor
.260 Remington
Any of several other less common .308 parent cartridges
These calibers do something similar to what the 6.5 Grendel or .204 Ruger do with .223. Each is designed to achieve higher velocity than the .308 while still using its approximate case dimensions. This means more powder and higher pressure.

So, why is this a problem in larger calibers but not in small-frame ones like the 6.5 Grendel?

Aside from the fact that the AR-10 never went through the rigors of military testing like the original Stoner design, it's really a matter of scale. A large-frame AR is still using the same materials as the AR-15, just scaled up.

A .223 case capacity is too small to exhibit major pressure problems. You can't fit enough powder in the case to reach that point.

Not so with a .308. Scaling up the case actually reduces structural integrity. Then, you add more powder for a bigger explosion, and you're pushing what the materials can handle.

Symptoms of High Pressure
There are several signs that your ammunition pressures are too high. Most of these are thanks to the considerable force of ignition distorting the case and primer adversely. Here are the most common issues:

Primer Cratering — The point of impact of the firing pin shows a raised lip indicating where the primer started to extrude around the pin into the firing pin hole. In extreme cases, this leads to…

Pierced Primers — The primer deforms so severely around the pin that the surface ruptures. In addition to possibly ejecting loose material, this causes the gasses in the cartridge to escape to the rear.

Case Head Flow — The brass of the case itself deforms under the ignition pressure, extruding into open cavities around the ejector pin area. This will cause small flecks of brass to shear off the case.

Brass Smear — Brass from the case deforms into any small negative space in the bolt face and deposits there. Some degree of this is natural, but high pressure loads will exacerbate the issue.

The results on these phenomena are reduced service life and reliability.

Pierced primers will erode the bolt face prematurely. Deformation of primers and case heads will lead to loose material in the receiver cavity. These metal shavings will eventually foul the ejector and can even impact function of the trigger group.

Shavings that fall into the magazine can also cause problems. Even a small piece of brass adhering to the exterior of a case can cause a failure to go into battery. One might also wedge the case into the chamber making it difficult to unload an unfired round.

The Prevalence of High Pressure Ammo
If high-pressure ammo is so problematic, why is it so common? The short answer is that these problems are particular to gas guns. Yet, load development for these cartridges is almost exclusively done with manual rifles.

Ammunition manufacturers are not concerned or often even aware of the pressure issues that show up in semi-auto platforms. Amazing as it is, a particular round might function problem-free in a bolt gun yet be completely incompatible in a semi-auto.

Most ammunition manufacturers are concerned only with meeting SAAMI spec. in their load test fixtures. The compatibility of their ammo with gas-operated, semi-auto rifles was not even considered in many cases.

The major difference here is one of the bolt design. The standard .308 bolt uses a firing pin that is inherently too large and an ejector design that exacerbates the problems mentioned above. As avid competitive shooters, we at JP wanted a workable solution.

The only solution is a new bolt design, or should that be was…

Troubleshooting
This might come off sounding like a sales pitch, but if you've read this far, the subject must matter to you. If so, it's worth your while to know that we've solved this problem and to see how we did it.

The pressure issues with large-frame rifles like the LRP-07 have been well-known for years. The solution was obvious once I thought about it. It just never seemed the highest priority, so the concept for our high pressure bolt collected mental dust.

Still, there was one customer that called every few months for a couple years just to find out where the project stood. I regretted having to tell him repeatedly that it was still on the back burner. That was my real motivation.

Finally, I pushed it to the top of the list. We put a lot of thought and effort into the high-pressure bolt, both in concept and in development. I was glad to see this show through in the final product.

Our EnhancedBolt™ line has been a great success for us, but I won't go into every little improvement we've made. When it comes to high pressure ammo, there were two major changes to the design of the .308 bolt that have all but licked the problem:

Reduced Diameter Firing Pin — Taking the cue from bolt gun design, we reduced the firing pin diameter along with the corresponding hole size in the bolt face. The smaller hole reduces the possibility of the primer deforming into it.

As a side benefit, this reduces the mass of the firing pin significantly, cutting down lock time and further enhancing the potential accuracy of the platform.

Redesigned Ejector/Pin Hole — Altering the extractor design has eliminated the features most prone to case head flow. This means less distortion into the extractor cavity and elimination of brass shavings even when some extrusion occurs.

While these are hardly the only advancements of the HP bolt design, they are the most important. Changing these two features virtually eliminates the negative symptoms of high-pressure ammo in gas guns. Considering that treating the "disease" means just switching ammo, we'll take this happily.

At this point, I would not run a large-frame gas gun without this new bolt design.
View Quote
http://www.jprifles.com/bulletin/propost_may_2015_01_01.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I will also stand by the assertion that "high pressure" is a misnomer in that Creedmoor is loaded to the same pressure as 308 Winchester and both exhibit pressure signs with legacy firing pins and bolts.
View Quote
You can stand by your 'assertion' all you want but the fact is the Creedmoor DOES have a HIGHER average pressure thanks to its pressure curve. Any necked down version of .308 Win operating at the same chamber pressure will. Peak/max pressure is only one part of the equation. 6.5 Creedmoor holds pressure longer. Higher average pressure. Gas operated guns make things worse because rounds like 6.5 Creedmoor will hit the port with thousands of PSI more pressure if using the same length systems as .308 Win, hence the reason for extended length gas systems.. to avoid violent extraction and early unlocking that will wreck brass (plus port erosion and so on).

The higher average pressure being exerted on the brass while it is still expanding is what causes issues that often wouldn't be seen with .308 Win. The brass has to endure more for longer while in the chamber. Plenty of people have had 'no issue' .308 rifles, then converted them to a more overbore caliber and got pressure signs as a result.

.338 Federal would be MORE forgiving than even .308 Win. Bigger hole, same pressure. Pressure curve drops off faster. Any NECKED UP version of .308 Win at the same chamber pressure will be similar.

It is not a misnomer. Just an easy way to refer to a bolt better suited to handle the pressure curve of overbore cartridges. Certainly better than "Higher Average Pressure with a Tinier Hole in the Bolt Face". HAPTHBF Bolt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DarkDrifter:
You can stand by your 'assertion' all you want but the fact is the Creedmoor DOES have a HIGHER average pressure thanks to its pressure curve. Any necked down version of .308 Win operating at the same chamber pressure will. Peak/max pressure is only one part of the equation. 6.5 Creedmoor holds pressure longer. Higher average pressure. Gas operated guns make things worse because rounds like 6.5 Creedmoor will hit the port with thousands of PSI more pressure if using the same length systems as .308 Win, hence the reason for extended length gas systems.. to avoid violent extraction and early unlocking that will wreck brass (plus port erosion and so on).

The higher average pressure being exerted on the brass while it is still expanding is what causes issues that often wouldn't be seen with .308 Win. The brass has to endure more for longer while in the chamber. Plenty of people have had 'no issue' .308 rifles, then converted them to a more overbore caliber and got pressure signs as a result.

.338 Federal would be MORE forgiving than even .308 Win. Bigger hole, same pressure. Pressure curve drops off faster. Any NECKED UP version of .308 Win at the same chamber pressure will be similar.

It is not a misnomer. Just an easy way to refer to a bolt better suited to handle the pressure curve of overbore cartridges. Certainly better than "Higher Average Pressure with a Tinier Hole in the Bolt Face". HAPTHBF Bolt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DarkDrifter:
I will also stand by the assertion that "high pressure" is a misnomer in that Creedmoor is loaded to the same pressure as 308 Winchester and both exhibit pressure signs with legacy firing pins and bolts.

Pressure duration is dependent on bullet bearing surface, powder burn rate, and chamber geometry. If you're getting primer flow, it will still be present with the gas shut off. Everything else you posted is filler. I'm not going to try to shout over you, anyone is free to read John Paul's opinion on the subject above. Small FP bolts should be the norm in all AR10s, not just Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:25:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkDrifter] [#27]

Pressure duration is dependent on bullet bearing surface, powder burn rate, and chamber geometry. If you're getting primer flow, it will still be present with the gas shut off. Everything else you posted is filler. I'm not going to try to shout over you, anyone is free to read John Paul's opinion on the subject above. Small FP bolts should be the norm in all AR10s, not just Creedmoor.
View All Quotes

You missed two real big ones. Bore diameter and powder capacity. The factors you listed are true also, if you are playing with one cartridge, but when you go from .308 to .264 with the same max pressure and similar capacity, it is a different ball game.. and you ignored the bore diameter, of course. The smaller round has a smaller surface area for the pressure to push on to = slower curve, longer duration.

Plenty of gas and bolt guns are fine with their factory aperture and pin size with rounds like .308 Win, but once you go to a smaller bore rounds issues like primer cratering can appear more easily simply due to the longer duration. The unsupported primer is being pushed with more pressure, over time. If you get cratering with .308, it could only get worse with a round like 6.5 Creed. You even said as much... in reply to someone saying their .308 didn't crater, even with heavy 175 grain bullets.. but when they switched to 6.5...

"The 6CM, 6.5CM, 243Win, 260Rem, etc seem to be more sensitive to primer flow. This is not isolated to the AR10/AR308 platform either, bolt actions suffer from the same problem. Bushing bolt faces and turning firing pins has been going on for a long time."
Anyway, we are arguing semantics on whether it should be called a "high pressure" bolt. I think it should be, for many reasons:

It is 'high pressure' in the case of going to a smaller bore round that will have a longer duration, and exert more on the unsupported primer over time, therefore causing cratering.

It will be 'high pressure' relatively speaking when a rifle's original design intent was a round that was not as high pressure. The average LR/AR 308 bolt is well suited for M80 (usually 50,000 PSI) ball, but could have issues with higher pressure stuff, yes, even 308 Win or  7.62x51 loaded closer to the max pressure. The name isn't a misnomer any way I look at it. Even Gre-Tran advertises his FP reduction and bolt bushing service with 'high pressure' GreTran ad.. because that is the reason the primers crater, pressure. The cure may be this service (ETA, so there is no confusing, I don't believe he works on AR bolts), but that doesn't change the fact that the cause is from a round that is outside of the original design intent, that has higher pressure in some shape or form.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#28]

That's odd, I don't think bolt actions have gas ports and they suffer from the same problem. Primer flow and pierced primers occur on bolt guns too and are the reason several well know builders use smaller diameter pins. That is also why GreTan turns firing pins and bushes bolt faces. There is nothing higher pressure about Credmore than 243win, 260 Remington, or 308win, which also have this problem. No, I adequately described what is taking place and port pressure has nothing to do with it. As JP specifically states, their "high pressure" bolts are not to be used with ammunition loaded higher than SAAMI pressure. The only difference between a JP "high pressure" bolt and a JP legacy bolt is the firing pin diameter and the firing pin aperture in the bolt face. The fact of the matter is the AR10's firing pin is too large even for 308 and should have been redesigned a long time ago. If you're building a new AR308, regardless of 308 or 6.5C, start with a small diameter firing pin bolt.
View Quote
Were we discussing bolt guns?  My bad, the fact that OP was asking about a gas gun, combined with the fact that we are typing our responses under the "Semi Auto Rifles" sub-forum, has led me to believe that we were discussing semi-autos.  I am not disagreeing with your statements about the damn bolt, that's primer flow and cratering is an issue with some bolt guns in .223.  I was telling you that your assertion about "high pressure" cartridges being a misnomer is wrong because it is.  With 6's and 6.5's you have higher pressures at the port.  Longer bullets, with longer bearing surfaces, combined with tight twist barrels make this an issue to notice.  JP has that statement for the same fucking reason every reloading book, powder company, brass manufacturer and bullet manufacturer state, "load xyz loads, but make sure you don't go over SAAMI specs," it's a liability issue.  JP knows damn well dudes are going to try running their gassers faster and harder than what SAAMI would allow, but do you think he can advise people to do that?  Come on man.

Speaking of JP, did he develop the +2 gas system for bolt guns?  Oh, you mean he did that for gas guns?  Ever try running a 6/6.5 gas gun with a mid length gas system?  Want to guess what happens?  Shall I reiterate why it happens or do you think you got it now?

ETA - I think JP said that all, with the line you posted, "Running .308 through a rifle like the LRP was still doable if you chose your ammo carefully. Start running a non-standard caliber gas gun, and the problem is amplified. This is the case with any of the 6mm or 6.5mm cartridges: "
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
I wasn't aware that 6.5 CM was a high pressure round(abnormally vs normal rifles at about 60k ), early rounds had a mis stated high pressure that might have caused some issues, but dunno.
View Quote
Its pressure curve is much longer.

The only bolt I've seen, other than JP, that uses a smaller pin is Aero.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brasidas] [#30]
Isn't the problem with creedmoor that it has greater bolt thrust?

Same pressure with a smaller bore pruduces greater bolt thrust.  With more rearward rearward force exerted by the propellant gases on the bolt, you get these primer problems.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I went with a Fulton Armory small pin bolt in my 6.5 creed rebarrel.  Seem good so far.  Zero signs of cratered primers.  They are slightly flat though.

Fulton Armory HP
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ian187] [#32]
Originally Posted By brasidas:
Isn't the problem with creedmoor that it has greater bolt thrust?

Same pressure with a smaller bore pruduces greater bolt thrust.  With more rearward rearward force exerted by the propellant gases on the bolt, you get these primer problems.
View Quote
No, not with regards to primer flow, pierced primers, or blown primers. Those issues occur before the bolt unlocks and relate directly to chamber pressure. The problem is 6.5 Creedmoor is the ammunition is loaded at or above SAAMI maximum pressure and fired out of barrels with tight chambers and short throats. In the case of the AR308 platform, the original AR10 bolt was designed around 7.62 NATO which has a slightly lower maximum pressure (60.19K vs. 62K) and much longer throat. Combine the pressure issue and 40 years of reverse engineering and you have firing pin apertures that are too large for even the 308Win base cartridge (which coincidentally has the exact same maximum SAAMI chamber pressure as 6.5C, 260 Rem, 7-08, etc). While port pressure does effect extraction and feeding, it usually manifests in heavy extraction marks, ejector swipes (this can be chamber pressure as well), stovepipe jams (if the extractor spring is weak or the extractor is poorly designed), hammer follow, bolt over base jams, etc.

As I said earlier in this thread, 6.5C isn't any higher pressure than 308 Winchester and both can suffer from the exact same pressure issues. You are, however more likely to encounter them in 6.5C because of how the ammunition and barrels are manufactured. Frankly, every AR308 bolt, regardless of cartridge, should be "HP" insofar as the firing pin is concerned. Why there is so much consternation and pushback to this is beyond me. Consumers should be demanding the small firing pin for every rifle instead of assuming it is only needed in "hotrod/racegun" cartridges (industry marketing).
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
7.62 NATO which has a slightly lower maximum pressure (60.19K vs. 62K) and much longer throat.
View All Quotes
7.62 NATO which has a slightly lower maximum pressure (60.19K vs. 62K) and much longer throat.
Those aren't even the same standard. .308 Win is SAAMI tested. 7.62 NATO is NATO EPVAT tested. Different procedure, different measuring point, different transducer. Results not really comparable, but they are essentially the same thing. The head spacing difference is what leads to most issues.

Originally Posted By ian187:The problem is 6.5 Creedmoor is the ammunition is loaded at or above SAAMI maximum pressure
Please tell us what manufacturers are producing ammunition greater than SAAMI MAXIMUM for 6.5 Creedmoor as you claim.

As I said earlier in this thread, 6.5C isn't any higher pressure than 308 Winchester and both can suffer from the exact same pressure issues. You are, however more likely to encounter them in 6.5C because of how the ammunition and barrels are manufactured. Frankly, every AR308 bolt, regardless of cartridge, should be "HP" insofar as the firing pin is concerned. Why there is so much consternation and pushback to this is beyond me. Consumers should be demanding the small firing pin for every rifle instead of assuming it is only needed in "hotrod/racegun" cartridges (industry marketing).
Yes, it has nothing to do with the fact that one has a smaller bore. Pushing a smaller bullet through a smaller hole with the same pressure will have no effect on things like the pressure curve (heavy sarcasm). There is no grand conspiracy with barrels and ammo manufactures, oh and the SAAMI chambers for .308 Win and 6.5 Creed have the nearly identical leade and freebore. It is the nature of an overbore cartridge. You think 6.5 CM is bad, try 6mm CM, 6XC, and .22-250 etc once. The brass has to endure more for longer (Higher. Average. Pressure).. until the bullet uncorks and the barrel bore returns to atmospheric pressure. Before that, the bore pressure will be significantly higher in a 6.5 CM as the bullet travels down it, then a .308 Win. measured at the same lengths (Hence longer gas systems for semi autos, as mentioned. The system was designed to operate at something below 18,000PSI, so the gas system SHOULD be extended down the barrel  to compensate for the higher pressure curve of rounds like 6.5 CM.) This pressure is acting on everything it touches, including the brass sitting in the chamber. Even a 20" bbl 5.56 rifle still has 6000 PSI in the bore just before the bullet uncorks. A 6.5 Creedmoor and other similar rounds would put this to shame.. and that all happens in a few micro seconds. Hence a .308 doing fine with one aperture size, but the aperture needs reduced for 6.5 CM.. because of the pressure curve.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I am running a Rubber City Armory lightweight Ti carrier/bolt in my 6.5 CM built on a M5 receiver set and Ballistic Advantage 22" premium barrel.
It is a nice piece, designed for HP ammo very similar to the JP design.
Combined with a Superlative Arms bleed off gas block it has performed very nicely.
https://rubbercityarmory.com/product/titanium-ar-10-308-win-multi-hp-calibers-dpms-complete-w-assist/

RCA quality complete Titanium AR-10 DPMS style BCG with proprietary aerospace grade, patented ARMORTI surface treatment.
Carrier has FORWARD ASSIST  and Includes RCA’s billet gas key
Bolt face is specifically machined to handle high pressure rounds. The firing pin is custom matched to this firing pin hole.
Caliber Compatible With:
260 Rem
6.5 Creedmoor
22-250
6mm Bench Rest
And many others designed to use a .470 +/- bolt face diameter
Fully Titanium carrier
This fills the space of an AR-10 DPMS-style carrier while reducing weight substantially. at 10.3 ounces
Aerospace surface treatment provides ultimate durability and wear resistance.
Bolt material 9310
RCA billet gas key torqued and staked.
Tool steel extractor
*We highly recommend the use of an adjustable gas block to reduce over-gassing issues when using this carrier in a standard AR-10.*
*LIFETIME WARRANTY*
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Assuming the headspace it's correct is there any reason you can't run a jp HP bolt with an Armalite style barrel?

I have an Lmt mws with the factory 16" cl barrel and 2 converted noveske barrels. A 21" 308 and a 24" 6.5. currently I'm sharing an Armalite bolt between them but I'd rather have a dedicated bolt for each. From what I've seen the Lmt bolt (Kac/dpms style) has insufficient headspace for the Armalite barrels so I should be able to have the 6.5 chamber reamed to work with the jp bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top