Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2020 12:16:21 AM EDT
So I'm in the market for a new scope. Currently I'm running a vortex viper gen2 on my Remington 700 in 308 I have a 20 moa base and am pretty happy with it. I have a new 700 in .233 I'm putting together I have it sitting in a bell and carlson stock with seekins bottom metal and 20 moa seekins rail. I'm thinking about putting the viper on the .223 rifle and buying a new scope for the 308. I mostly shoot in the desert anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards mostly shooting at steel. I also like punching small holes in paper at 100 to 200 yards. I will not be be hunting with these rifles. I might eventually compete but that's a ways away. I am looking at the lupold mk5 HD 5×25 I love my vortex scopes but would like to buy made in the usa this time. Any recommendations?  Price range is $2 to $3k I'd prefer to keep it closer to $2500.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:08:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Click the La Rue link above and look at the US Optics scopes.  the B17 would be my pick but the 1.8 to 10 would work and  cost less. These are exceptional scopes.  Other than that you may want to look at the Nightforce ATACR scopes. If money was no object Tangent Theta.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#2]
US Optics has become a dumpster fire of a company since they were bought out by their current ownership group.  They farm out the majority of their optics now from China, and the only scopes they make in-house in the US are the Foundation series FDN scopes (former SN series).  Unfortunately the FDN series no longer uses exclusively Schott Glass from Germany, and they’ve been sourcing glass from wherever they can get it depending upon supply.  This comes directly from USO when I talked to them at SHOT.  Their scopes were once “Alpha Tier” scopes, but now they’re back down a level and even with the Leupold Mark5 and Vortex Razor HD Gen2.

Of those, I think the Leupold Mark5 HD offers the best of all worlds.  You have a light scope, affordable price, great glass, and quality features.  The scope uses mostly US components with Japanese LOW glass.  Other options include the Burris XTR-III, Vortex Razor HD Gen2 and Steiner T5Xi.  

Nightforce ATACR, S&B PMII, Hensoldt, Kahles, Tangent Theta and Zero Compromise Optics are all alpha tier optics, but you’ll have to pay to play with them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Get a Vortex AMG. It’s the most made in the USA scope you will find. Only part on it not made in the USA, including the glass, is the reticle which is made in Germany. The original were 100% made in the USA as it had an American reticle but the company could not keep up.

Take a look at Liberty Optics. Scott sells them for about $1899. Put it in the cart to see the price.

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d8.html

View Quote

Thanks Rob I'll look into that. I love the 2 vortex I have I wasn't aware they had anything made in the US.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
IOR Valdada. Schott glass, built like a tank, on the leading edge of technology.

I.O.R. Valdada 4-28x50 40mm RECON Rifle Scope - Rex Reviews

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m not sure what you will get spending more than Vortex PST Gen iI or Athlon Cronus money.

Turrets are good, glass good, reticles good....I’ve looked through higher end stuff, but my eyes don’t sell it to me....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top