Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2020 8:02:10 PM EDT
I know this has been beat to death but you guys are the best so help me out......

A good friend reached out to me and wants a new scope for his .308 and his goal is to kill deer/paper/steel out to 500 yards....

He’s older and his eyes aren’t the best.....
and most of his chances for shots hunting are really early or pretty late in the day......

I told him 500 yards isn’t that far but that’s his goal and he’s paying the bills so.....I want to take him out to 1k on some steel targets, he would be lose his mind....
The kicker....price doesn’t matter....he wants the best

What would you recommend?
I will be the one mounting it, bore sighting it, shooting it to  show him it can hit targets out to 500 yards so if he misses it’s him and not the equipment...lol
I don’t have his deep pockets so I am only familiar with Vortex/Leupold/Athlon scopes

Thanks for any advise

Lookinup
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Swarovski, zeiss, nightforce, higher end leupold and vortex come to mind. I have shallow pockets so no experience with them, but if I did it would be down to comparing every single spec to find what best suits my needs. Good luck, picking a scope is about as easy as which ice cream is your absolute favorite...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My personal option is,
Best hunting scope Swarovski
Best long range tactical scope NightForce.

But I do own a US optics as well as a higher end  Sig Sauer and those definitely come close but the two I mentioned are just my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
What rifle? A Browning bolt action in .308,
I will have to check on model but it is more of a hunting gun than precision.

FFP or SFP?
I will prob pick FFP for him

MOA or Mils?
I am more familiar with MOA, so more than likely Ill stick with that

How old is old and how bad eye sight?
late 60s, he wears glasses but he isnt exactly walking with a white cane either...

Carrying it distance while hunting or in blind?
Blind hunting so weight isnt a huge issue
View Quote

Thank you for any input.....

Lookinup
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Sightron SIII 10x modified mil dot. On sale right now for $470 at Graf's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can find a Burris XTR II 4-20, get it. 34mm tube. Great glass. Don't know anything of the XTR III's but check them out too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help/replies.

Found out it will be going on a rem 700 platform of some type.

Lots of good flavors of scopes these days!

Lookinup
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If price is no object and he wants the best, I would consider the following:

Kahles
Vortex Razor II or AMG
Nightforce ATACR
Tangent Theta

I'm personally always on a budget, so my highest end optic is a Razor II.  I've had good expierence with upper end Bushnells and I think they're some of the best performance per dollar.  If budget comes into play, look at the Bushnell DMR II.  For ~$1200, they're great optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top