Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2019 11:54:16 PM EDT
6-9in Compact Bipod // FF34023

What are your thoughts on this for a budget rifle?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
While I have not tried that particular brand, it looks an awefull lot like a re-branded Caldwell.

However - I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  You mentioned "budget rifle" and it seems to me that a functional - yet inexpensive  - bipod is perfectly acceptable.

Some bipods cost hundreds of dollars; I personally could not justify spending nearly as much for the bipod as for the whole gun (I wrote the thread on the $200, sub MOA rifle last year).
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d highly recommend bumping the budget and getting a Harris.

There’s better out there, but for a budget the baseline is the Harris 6-9 notched leg, IMO,

If something happens, you can call Harris direct and they will take care of you. You cannot expect the same from all the knock-offs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I got by with cheap Harris knockoffs for a while.  I was stunned how much more solid the real deal was when I finally got one.  Buy once, cry once and all that.  Definately true in this case.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Another harris ripoff. Get the real deal if you plan to use it much.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Magpul bipod. I have two, and my brother has one and a Harris. The Magpul is hands-down better- lighter, more streamlined.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
Get a Magpul bipod. I have two, and my brother has one and a Harris. The Magpul is hands-down better- lighter, more streamlined.
View Quote
I use a Magpul on my 6.5 Grendel AR.  It's a good bipod but personally I feel the Harris is much more solid on a heavier (>10 lbs) bolt gun.  On that kind of gun I really don't care about a couple ounces or the overall footprint.  I don't think many competitive PRS shooters are using the Magpul.  YMMV though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a POS $35 Caldwell on my "precision" AR, it has actually taken quite a beating(jammed into things) over the years and held up well.
My only complaint is the screw that tensions it to the swivel stud walks when you tighten it. I put dimple on the surface it tightens against to stop that.

Meanwhile the Harris on my bolt action broke with little abuse, though Harris took care of it.
When I needed another I spent the money on another Harris rather than Caldwell.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
I use a Magpul on my 6.5 Grendel AR.  It's a good bipod but personally I feel the Harris is much more solid on a heavier (>10 lbs) bolt gun.  On that kind of gun I really don't care about a couple ounces or the overall footprint.  I don't think many competitive PRS shooters are using the Magpul.  YMMV though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Originally Posted By lew:
Granted this is anecdotal evidence, but my 12.5 lb. 6.5CM AR gets .7" groups at 100m off the Magpul. My 5.56 XCR gets .7-.8" off the other Magpul. Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the first I've heard of a bipod having anything to do with groups.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Harris is as cheap as you should go. The Caldwell and like models tend to be crap. I’d suggest saving an extra pay period and buy once/cry once.

The high dollar bipods are really nice but Harris suits me just fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always used Caldwell and Blackhawks since im a cheap ass. But when I started to shoot PRS you really start to see the short comings. Opted for a harris to replace my Blackhawk, and installed it on an RRS ACRA/Picatinny mount. The diffence of a Harris and a Knock off is pretty clear. Cheap ones always having screws coming loose. They are fine for a varmit gun or a range play gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top