Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2022 3:54:42 PM EDT
I realize its not a bolt action, and I'm not sure it would count as a precision rifle, but I'm hoping this gets a little traction here.

I have been wanting one of these for two decades, and a friend at work just made me a smoking deal on a nearly new 223 bull barrel Handirifle.  I am thrilled with it and can't wait to get it to the range.

Three questions:

- Is this rifle still a thing?  I think they were discontinued?  I see shotguns on gunbroker but not too many rifle calibers.
- Are barrels still available in the modern age?  I remember wanting one because I could get barrels in a ton of calibers and have a lot of fun that way.  Like AR15 uppers.
- Are better triggers available, or can kitchen table gunsmithing improve the factory trigger?  Mine breaks clean but is quite heavy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The new H&R will not be producing them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Long ago forum about the Handy rifle, had the instructions to drive the trigger and hammer pins out to do the trigger work.
Also was intrigued about the switch barrel, and short length of a 16 inch barrel handy rifle.
Recall that the barrel had to be factory fitted??? And the rifle receiver action was different metal / heat treatment than the shotgun action.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cajun22] [#3]
Barrels are no longer available. I have three Handi Rifles and they all shoot lights out. You have to find the ammo yours likes. The bull barrel ones shoot great. Trigger can be worked on to get it smoother. There are instructions online on how to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Have had several. Probably the most accurate rifles I’ve ever had. Only gripe is they were heavy.
Easiest trigger job in any gun. Just get a snap cap and wear it out while watching tv. I had a heavy barrel 223 that could pass for a match gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Graybeard outdoors is the forum you need to visit.  They can tell you anything and everything about handi rifles.  It's pretty easy to fit a barrel yourself if you are semi competent.  Hey, even I have done it.  They are addictive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By QRPer:
Graybeard outdoors is the forum you need to visit.  They can tell you anything and everything about handi rifles.  It's pretty easy to fit a barrel yourself if you are semi competent.  Hey, even I have done it.  They are addictive.
View Quote

Thank you.  I will visit.

I assume used/private party only is how they're bought nowadays?  No company has stock?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one in 204 Ruger that I never really took the time to zero, this makes me want to get on the range and work on that sucker!
Also saw one at a local shop in .223 for four bills, it I can get out the door at that think it's a shooter possibility?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SnaitN:
I have one in 204 Ruger that I never really took the time to zero, this makes me want to get on the range and work on that sucker!
Also saw one at a local shop in .223 for four bills, it I can get out the door at that think it's a shooter possibility?
View Quote

I've heard nothing but good things.  If I had access to another one, I'd buy one.  I haven't had mine out on the range yet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#9]
BECARFUL WHAT BARREL YOU MOUNT TO WHAT FRAME, IT CAN BE DISASTROUS.

https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/do-i-have-sb1-or-sb2.342018/

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SnaitN:
View Quote

I personally wouldn’t waste my $$, a Ruger American in 223 would net you a much better rifle for the same $$. $400 for an H&R is just insane.

I had a few and they’re anything but what I’d consider accurate. They were 1.5-2moa guns which is about what you’d expect for a cheaply produced $150 rifle. The hang time of the hammer doesn’t do them any favors either when it comes to shooting them accurately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top