Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2022 2:58:35 PM EDT
I'm curious to hear from those who have experience with two (or more) of the following:

HK MR762A1
KAC SR-25
LMT MWS or MARS

Which was the most accurate for you?

Any other insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both the MWS and 2 SR25's in different configurations.

Back when SR25's could be had for 4-5 grand, I would say they were totally worth it over the MWS. Now, SR25's are commanding 8-10 grand if you are lucky.  

The nice thing about the MWS is swapping barrels/calibers is much easier and you can get machinist to install bartlein barrels on them to your spec so long as you are ok sacrificing the factory barrel to use the barrel extension from it for the new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The LMT MWS MARS-H Lower is identical to the current SR25 Lower.

The SR25 Uppers are usually lighter by 1.5-2 lbs over a similar LMT Upper.

The LMT Uppers have a quick change barrel ability that makes is easy to swap to a different length or even caliber.

Both are very reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The LMT MWS is the best out of the bunch for several reasons.  I own a 308MWS, and I’ve shot it against a buddy’s MR762A1.  I also tested it years back against an SR25 for a SWAT contract.  Accuracy differences between the KAC and LMT were marginal, with a slight advantage to the LMT.  The LMT was a joint design collaboration between LMT and KAC, so it’s not a far off statement to say that the LMT is fundamentally a variant of the SR25.  The LMT however has a monolithic upper and modular interchangeable barrel system that lends to a very beneficial system.  The engagement surface on the LMT barrel extension is pretty substantial and facilitates rigidity.  The barrel system allows you to pick what barrels and calibers you want.  The CHF barrels are sub-MOA capable and very durable.  The SS barrels are sub-half-minute accurate and that’s pretty hard to beat.  The only downside to LMT’s system is that the barrels are expensive and more difficult to source than normal AR10/LR308 barrels.  KAC and HK are not easy to source parts from either.  The LMT is also $1500 less than an SR25.

The HK MR762A1 is a nice rifle, but it’s also trash.  HK is a problematic company and having dealt with them on the LE/SWAT side, I can full well account first-hand experience with the “HK- because you suck, and we hate you” mentality from that company.  The rifle itself is heavy but it shoots well.  The price is in-between the LMT and KAC.  The problem with the HK is that it runs a proprietary magazine and they’re hard to get in quantity.  The rifle itself printed 1MOA, but I know that HK has been dialing them in over the years and the early versions weren’t reliably 1MOA.  The current ones are now, but I’ve been hearing/reading rumors that the new HK M110s are not performing like they’re supposed to and accuracy is not up to snuff with the outgoing KACs.  I just look at piston guns like that and what you get for it, and I see better options.  The Sig 716 G2 DMR is an absolute tack driver, it costs $2800, and it uses SR25 pattern mags like the LMT and KAC do.  It’s a good piston system.  If you’re looking at the HK specifically because it’s piston, I’d strongly recommend that you look at the Sig.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The LMT is well over a pound heavier than the SR-25 and the gas systems offered are too short. The SR-25 is a better gun, but more money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Danus_ex] [#5]
Which variants of the MWS and SR-25 do you want to know about?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
The LMT is well over a pound heavier than the SR-25 and the gas systems offered are too short. The SR-25 is a better gun, but more money.
View Quote

The best thing to do is a LMT MARS-H lower with Knight upper still more than a full LMT outright though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
View Quote

When it comes to accuracy, weight is your friend.  The vast majority of people looking for an AR10/SR25 pattern rifle would actually benefit from a heavier rifle.  Weight facilitates recoil management and keeps the gun steadier when aiming.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I am familiar with all three and currently have an LMT and SR-25.

SR-25 all day and twice on Sundays...
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#9]
I was asking because I have a several 7.62 AR options including HK MR762A1, LMT MARS-H, LMT MWS, Sig 716i.

It was pretty easy for me to determine what role each rifle, excluding the HK, fulfilled:

MARS-H M-LOK 16” CL with Vortex Gen 2 1-6x Razor … DMR

MWS 20” SS with Leupold 6-18 … Long Range / Precision

Sig 716i with TA11 ACOG … General Purpose

I can’t seem to figure out where the HK fits in to my battery of 7.62 ARs. I keep trying to decide if it would be a better GP, DMR, Precision rifle (to replace or supplement the above rifles).

It’s too heavy for the GP role.  It doesn’t have a treated bore so I worry about corrosion in the DMR role (I actually use my guns in the field).  It loses velocity to the 20” in the precision role.

I have owned a several MWS over the last 6-7 years and have quite a lot of time behind 5.56 MRP rifles and carbines.  I have never owned a SR25, and now that they’re in the $8 range it’s hard for me to justify as I don’t personally think it’s 2.25x more rifle than a MARS-H. However, if is THAT much better then I would consider selling my HKs and Sigs to fund  one.

I know the Sigs seem out of place in my collection, but I impulse bought one at a local shop and was impressed so I grabbed extras.  At $1400 they’re a lot of rifle but obviously not even close to the HK, LMT, KAC.  Frankly, I’m down to one of them and would like to just sell the last one and focus on the better options I have.

ETA:  someone commented about the cost of HK mags. I acquired a supply of them and am set.  However, like the Sigs, I sold one of my Hks last week and am trying to decide if I should retain what I have left.

I took my 16” CL LMT to the range today and was shooting 5rds of 1980’s surplus Radway Green into 3/4” groups (best of 6 while most averaged 3/4” with one flyer opening to 1” to 1.125” caused by shooter error) off a rest with no rear bag and the Razor set on 3.5x (trying to decide if I want to stick the ACOG on this rifle and the Razor on the HK) at 50 yards.  I consider this very good accuracy considering my age (eye sight), low variable setting, unstable rest, and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have SR25s in various configurations and an HK762.  They are both very accurate.  I prefer the SR25s for weight and handling as a general purpose rifle.   I’d go with the HK in the DMR role.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UnaStamus:

When it comes to accuracy, weight is your friend.  The vast majority of people looking for an AR10/SR25 pattern rifle would actually benefit from a heavier rifle.  Weight facilitates recoil management and keeps the gun steadier when aiming.
View Quote

It’ll be 14 pounds kitted out anyway.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
What about the DD5?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top