Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 5:46:38 PM EDT
I have a pretty nice 18" AR setup that I haven't shot in years, it actually doesn't even have a scope/sights on it cause I never really got into long range (other than 100yd hunting).

I figured with ammo prices I'd mess around with 200-250yd shooting to slow the ammo usage bleed, plus the rifle ranges have been dead so ill have them to myself.

I don't really plan on shooting to 400 but what the zoom ability to push ouu, plus it helps if I don't have a spotter scope.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Hits on what? A 1 moa target or a 10moa target?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hits on what? A 1 moa target or a 10moa target?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 1X4 Leopold MKAR with the BDC reticle that is fun mid range optic. Plus it's a great HD optic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahh sorry, was hoping to keep it around $300, I know ill probably get hooked and upgrade, but I feel like a "just for fun" gun $300 should get me something? I've never done any long distance shooting other than hunting back in the day but we sighted in and kept things around 100 most the time

Is something 6-20x50 going to give me enough field of view (I dont think people really go over 50?) and is 6 base zoom going to give me any scanning ability around 100 yards?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rocketrepairguy] [#6]
I just bought a 3-18x50 Bushnell Forge for 640.00

https://www.dvor.com/bushnell-forge-3-18x50-riflescope.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taymag:
Ahh sorry, was hoping to keep it around $300, I know ill probably get hooked and upgrade, but I feel like a "just for fun" gun $300 should get me something? I've never done any long distance shooting other than hunting back in the day but we sighted in and kept things around 100 most the time

Is something 6-20x50 going to give me enough field of view (I dont think people really go over 50?) and is 6 base zoom going to give me any scanning ability around 100 yards?
View Quote

I would look for a used 10X or 6-18 Leupold with Target turrets. For your price range. But to shoot 250 yards you don’t need a lot of magnification unless you’re shooting tiny groups. And it doesn’t sound like your weapon choice is up for the task. Even the Redfield 4-12 Accuplex would be a decent choice. It just doesn’t have parallax adjustment. I got a used Leupold MKAR in 6-18 with Mil turrets for $350.00 a couple of years ago just watching LGS’s.  The previous owner upgraded to a Vortex Razor. But as he admitted the Leupold was his stepping stone. Good luck and remember you don’t need ultra high magnification to go to a quarter of a mile.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#8]
You aren’t going to see 300 yard holes in paper with a $300 rifle scope (not enough clarity/light-gathering)

You need a spotting scope. Even a $250 Celestron will be ok to get you by in the beginning.

As for the rifle scope, buy quality over magnification. I’d rather shoot 300 yards with a good 6x than a low quality 12x.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]
You're looking for a drone or a target camera, not a riflescope. You'll never see .2" wide holes in paper at 300m even with 30x magnification and your budget sticks you with glass quality ranging from trash to functional but it'll never get to fine. It takes a really darned nice scope to resolve .2" wide holes in paper at 100yrds, more than your budget is likely to allow even at that short range. Walk up to your target to look at your groups. A rifle scope is a sighting device, not an inspection device.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020618830?pid=351470

These have gotten good reviews. Japanese glass, not Chinese.

If you want a little less magnification this one is a little cheaper...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020618738?pid=832126

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020618830?pid=351470

These have gotten good reviews. Japanese glass, not Chinese.

If you want a little less magnification this one is a little cheaper...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020618738?pid=832126

View Quote
While those are excellent scopes, they're not going to (and no other rifle scope will) allow spotting of 22cal bullet holes in paper from 250-300yrds.

That said, those are excellent scopes and you will probably never get a chance to get a discount like that on glass like that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy good clean glass with decent eye relief. And a spotting scope
.22 holes are hard to see even with a 60x spotting scope unless using shoot-n-see targets
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

No scope can see .22 bullet holes at 300 yards?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
While those are excellent scopes, they're not going to (and no other rifle scope will) allow spotting of 22cal bullet holes in paper from 250-300yrds.

I can remember the light Blue bench rest targets with a white backing paper. When the sun was right I could see some holes with a straight 36X Leupold. But my eyes were better then. I can see 300 yard splashing on steel with a good clear 6X. I regret trading the 36X.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, try and find a fixed power SWFA. This is going to be your best bet in my opinion.

Bev
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#16]

View Quote

Not at OP's $300 price point or even close to it.

Vortex has a Chinese Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP with mil/mil or moa/moa turrets just above that price point.  I have one on a precision.22LR bolt gun, but the glass is done for by 300 yards, certainly can't see bullet holes.   Its still decent for hold overs and hold offs at 250-300.  I use a spotting scope to see fine detail.

To see .22 bullet holes at 300+ he needs a good spotting scope with decent glass and 45+ magnification, IMO.  That's at least $800-1,000 and more.

Resolving fine detail like small holes at 300+ involves high magnification and good glass.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Vortex has a Chinese Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP with mil/mil or moa/moa turrets just above that price point.  I have one on a precision.22LR bolt gun, but the glass is done for by 300 yards, certainly can't see bullet holes.   Its still decent for hold overs and hold offs at 250-300.  I use a spotting scope to see fine detail.

To see .22 bullet holes at 300+ he needs a good spotting scope with decent glass and 45+ magnification, IMO.  That's at least $800-1,000 and more.

Resolving fine detail like small holes at 300+ involves high magnification and good glass.
View All Quotes

Agree with this.

But not with this.  I have no problem seeing bullet holes at 300 yards with 25x.  But back to the other point, I paid a helluva lot more than $300 for my scopes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mi650:

Agree with this.

But not with this.  I have no problem seeing bullet holes at 300 yards with 25x.  But back to the other point, I paid a helluva lot more than $300 for my scopes.
View Quote

I haven't made it to the range yet, but I got my Viper 6.5-20x and zoomed in on some things at 20x around 200-300 yards away and feel like I have a chance seeing holes, but who knows -- That being said I feel like I could see spatter targets for sure, but would make seeing tight groups with holes touching harder since they are a bit of a mess when you get a few shots together
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By taymag:
I haven't made it to the range yet, but I got my Viper 6.5-20x and zoomed in on some things at 20x around 200-300 yards away and feel like I have a chance seeing holes, but who knows -- That being said I feel like I could see spatter targets for sure, but would make seeing tight groups with holes touching harder since they are a bit of a mess when you get a few shots together
View Quote

Are you using match ammo in a match barrel?  At 250 yards a 1 MOA rifle will have a 2-3" spread.  a regular ol' AR shooting M193 will be more like 6-8".  I think splatter targets are a great solution.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By eracer:

Are you using match ammo in a match barrel?  At 250 yards a 1 MOA rifle will have a 2-3" spread.  a regular ol' AR shooting M193 will be more like 6-8".  I think splatter targets are a great solution.
View Quote

Ill be using a mix of both, but I am mainly referring to how many shots on each target really. One of the ranges I use has large target board so I can put 4-6 targets decent size targets on it, the other one only lets me put 2, and when I have 2 targets up I think they change ever 20 min, so you either just dont shoot or you're target starts get full (assuming I'm hitting it lol). That being said I'm pretty new to long range shooting so spatter targets will be great
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

That’s what I was thinking as well. The Sightron SIII’s I’ve owned would beg to differ. Not the most tactical optic, but their resolution is amazing for the price.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]
It's my opinion that anything over 20x withing 500yds is useless scope wise a sporting scope would be fine but shooting I seem to never have my optics above 20x and mostly shoot around 15x

At300yds a nice 1-5or 1-6 is plenty for general shooting.

For benchrest you kinda need to spend 1500+ or at minimum get an swfa 20x fixed.

I shoot primarily leupold but I do like this 1-5 steiner I just picked up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#24]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
That’s what I was thinking as well. The Sightron SIII’s I’ve owned would beg to differ. Not the most tactical optic, but their resolution is amazing for the price.
View Quote

Indeed they are.  What do you mean by 'not the most tactical'?  Many of their models are mil/mil with very nice reticles.

I wish I'd kept the article I read in VHP (Very High Power) where they did a very comprehensive 1000-yard test of the Sightron SIII and a spec-comparable Nightforce (I don't remember which model.)  Resolution tests, color fidelity tests, optical clarity tests, and more.

The Sightron won about half the tests.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#25]
Originally Posted By eracer:

Indeed they are.  What do you mean by 'not the most tactical'?  Many of their models are mil/mil with very nice reticles.

I wish I'd kept the article I read in VHP (Very High Power) where they did a very comprehensive 1000-yard test of the Sightron SIII and a spec-comparable Nightforce (I don't remember which model.)  Resolution tests, color fidelity tests, optical clarity tests, and more.

The Sightron won about half the tests.
View Quote

Edit; Actually, I just looked at their site. The SIII PLR looks like a good upgrade. I may try to get 1 for my daughters .22

My previous gripe was about the turrets and reticles. You’ll pay more for that model, put it’s more useable than the previous SIII tactical or capped scope models.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
For a .22 I might go with the S-TAC FFP 3-16X42 Zero Stop.  $670 MSRP vs. double that for the PLR.

Nice little reticle too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:09:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#27]
Not a fan of the S Tac glass. Plus, that Mil Hash H reticle is more inline with what I’m using with my other optics (nf/Vortex).

Hope she gets a scholarship; college funds may go towards optics!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:19:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#28]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Not a fan of the S Tac glass. Plus, that Mil Hash 5 reticle is more inline with what I’m using with my other optics (nf/Vortex).

Hope she gets a scholarship; college funds may go towards optics!
View Quote

Gotcha.  I personally don't prioritize that for a .22 and it's limited range (as long as the objective is big enough.)
But hey, no reason not to go with the best you can afford.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#29]

You do not need a 45x+ spotter to see bullet holes at 300 yards. I can see them on 25x with a Strike Eagle. If someone is having issues and has bad eyes then use a shoot n cee target and definitely no issues.
View Quote

Not doubting you, but if there is mirage (which I often encounter) that becomes a real stretch even with good glass at 300.  I have a nice older Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 target scope, 1/8 MOA fine target reticle, 1/8 MOA tall target turrets, with very good Japanese glass.  I use it for load development, moving it from rifle to rifle.  With it I can see .224 caliber bullet holes at 24x on white paper at 300 in good light if no mirage.  But mirage is a way of life here and the holes just disappear under those conditions.  I can dial down to 14x and get a clearer image, but no chance of seeing holes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Not doubting you, but if there is mirage (which I often encounter) that becomes a real stretch even with good glass at 300.  I have a nice older Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 target scope, 1/8 MOA fine target reticle, 1/8 MOA tall target turrets, with very good Japanese glass.  I use it for load development, moving it from rifle to rifle.  With it I can see .224 caliber bullet holes at 24x on white paper at 300 in good light if no mirage.  But mirage is a way of life here and the holes just disappear under those conditions.  I can dial down to 14x and get a clearer image, but no chance of seeing holes.
View All Quotes

You do not need a 45x+ spotter to see bullet holes at 300 yards. I can see them on 25x with a Strike Eagle. If someone is having issues and has bad eyes then use a shoot n cee target and definitely no issues.

We used to use a Blue sheet of closed cell foam insulation for a backer. The foam would seal the hole leaving a blue spot for the hit. I bet the pink foam would work too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#32]
The Super Sniper is not a bad option.  When I first needed a scope I got a Nikon Monarch. It wasn't bad,  but focal plane, turrets and reticle were not what I was looking for.  The SS might have been a better choice

From experience, get a scope with turrets and plane. You'll probably get hooked and be way ahead of the game when you upgrade and your original  scope cost will have been a tiny fraction of the cost of what you end up with.

Please remember the cost of a good mount/rings. This is not an area to go cheap.  

Good luck,  you have a fun journey ahead.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#33]
Originally Posted By Winkychevelle:
It's my opinion that anything over 20x withing 500yds is useless scope wise a sporting scope would be fine but shooting I seem to never have my optics above 20x and mostly shoot around 15x

At300yds a nice 1-5or 1-6 is plenty for general shooting.

For benchrest you kinda need to spend 1500+ or at minimum get an swfa 20x fixed.

I shoot primarily leupold but I do like this 1-5 steiner I just picked up.
View Quote

I think benchrest shooters would strongly disagree.  Match the optic to the task.

Benchrest competition top shooters use 45x or higher fixed power scopes at 100 yards.  Yes, 45x at 100 yards.  Useless for other purposes, though.

Those of us who handload, even for hunting ammo, often use high powered scopes for load development, even though the rifle may have a LPVO or mid-powered scope in the field.  A variable with 24x on the top end with very fine crosshairs is a good choice for load development.  It just makes consistent shot placement much easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top