Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2020 12:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn]
Any known issues with this platform?  Have been looking at the 308 version of the ACE.

Platform sees very nice, only issue I can foresee is that the rails for mounting a scope is on the cover over the action.  On most AK style rifles, this seems like a really flimsy place to mount a scope and hold zero.  However, IWI doesn't seem too worried about this, in fact on their youtube videos where they show disassembly/reassembly and the video on how to remove the rear sight, they refer to "return to zero" a few times.  The cover does definitely snap back in place with authority and doesn't wiggle, and I don't expect an absolute turn to zero - however, I hate to have to completely rezero after removing the cover for cleaning.  I'm guessing this is an advantage of the AR platform that has spoiled me.

Anyone have any loss of zero, or scope issues when mounting on a Galil Ace (any variety)?

Internet pic of rail with optic mounted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an LPVO on mine and never lost zero.  I've seen a lot of purely anecdotal talk about it losing zero, but there's never actually been any proof of it and IWI says it will not.  Karl from InRange just ran a .308 ACE and his never lost zero and he was dropping it on the optic and beating it up.  Again, everything relating to it supposedly losing zero has been purely anecdotal.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
I had an LPVO on mine and never lost zero.  I've seen a lot of purely anecdotal talk about it losing zero, but there's never actually been any proof of it and IWI says it will not.  Karl from InRange just ran a .308 ACE and his never lost zero and he was dropping it on the optic and beating it up.  Again, everything relating to it supposedly losing zero has been purely anecdotal.

View Quote

Thanks, good info.  What I suspected but had heard otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

I also have an ACE with an LPVO and can confirm no zero shift.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jortpeterson:

View Quote

I think people assume just because it has a removable dust cover like an AK that it'll lose zero.  They don't realize how tight the tolerances are, and again the manufacturer states that it will not.  I've never seen anyone that actually owns one claim they've lost zero when removing the dust cover.  I took my dust cover off all the time and never had one issue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Did you have to get elevated rings?  looks like that rear sight might bump against a LPVO if you have it back toward the stock far enough to use.  

@ jortpeterson
@Zeebz
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:

Did you have to get elevated rings?  looks like that rear sight might bump against a LPVO if you have it back toward the stock far enough to use.  

@ jortpeterson
@Zeebz
View Quote

@Macumazahn

Yeah I had to get a high cantilever mount.  I had the RRA Hi-Rise mount on mine.  Anything that is 6.85" from the base to the center of the ring should be high enough.  That's what my RRA was and it just barely had enough clearance for the optic.  I was running a Leupold VX-R Patrol.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I used a PEPR and it just barely clears the rear sight. With ones that have a pass through like the PEPR you can also still use the iron sights which I thought was pretty nifty.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I just put on a PA 1-6x Raptor with a Riton QD mount on my new x51. I had to detach the rear sight though which I’m not that happy about. I have not had any experience with Riton. (It was the only QD mount my LGS had and I always buy locally if I can).

Anyway, my galil’s dust cover is such a beast, I have to hit it hard to get it back on. I’ve put about 50 rds. thru it. Then, detached the scope. Took the dust cover off. Put it back on and put ~50 more thru and it still held zero for me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By El_Herko:
I just put on a PA 1-6x Raptor with a Riton QD mount on my new x51. I had to detach the rear sight though which I’m not that happy about. I have not had any experience with Riton. (It was the only QD mount my LGS had and I always buy locally if I can).

Anyway, my galil’s dust cover is such a beast, I have to hit it hard to get it back on. I’ve put about 50 rds. thru it. Then, detached the scope. Took the dust cover off. Put it back on and put ~50 more thru and it still held zero for me.

View Quote

Good to hear it kept zero.  Yea, I agree, not happy with removing the rear sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top