Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 6:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cih9330]
Just getting in to long range I am zeroed at 100yd but at 300 have to hold A foot to the right. which means it shooting to the left so I need to click right ? this is A savage 110 with heavy 24 inch and A trijicon 5-20x50 . Right now just using fiocchi 223 55 FMJ to get started I Know 300 isn't far but just try to get it dialed in
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  You need to dial about 3 MOA to the right.  Actually, I'd go about half that to start with and then check the progress.  

If your scope has a parallax adjustment, you should check that as well.  
Below is a video explaining parallax, as well as the importance of getting your diopter in proper focus.  

Pro Tip: Understanding Parallax | Shooting USA
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Yep.  You need to dial about 3 MOA to the right.  Actually, I'd go about half that to start with and then check the progress.  

If your scope has a parallax adjustment, you should check that as well.  
Below is a video explaining parallax, as well as the importance of getting your diopter in proper focus.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Q9O_jzs6Q
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Be certain also that you are not canting the rifle and if you are shooting in the wind that can move the bullets impact also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If windage is zero at 100 yards and a foot right at 300, barring actual wind, you have issues with the mount, the scope, canting, etc.  Something is wrong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
If windage is zero at 100 yards and a foot right at 300, barring actual wind, you have issues with the mount, the scope, canting, etc.  Something is wrong.
View Quote

You bring up a good point.  
My guess is this is partly a less than accurate 100yd zero, combined with range ammo that can be 2 to 3 MOA all by itself.  
One good thing is that by dialing in his left/right windage at 300yrds, he will be getting a truer zero on the scope.  
And try some different varieties of ammo.  Different barrels sometimes shoot certain ammos poorly.  
It's a little slow, but PMC .223 55gr is typically a quite accurate load for range/blasting ammo.  
(Once you're pretty well dialed in, grab a box or two of some match ammo and really see what your rifle can do.)

OP, one thing you'll want to check is that your crosshairs are perfectly level with the action on your rifle.  
At longer distances, all the little things add up to big things quickly.  

Personally, I like the flashlight method for levelling the reticle.  

I use this on top of the picatinny rail to make sure my AR is level, and then proceed with the flashlight method.  

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X2EI1IE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top