Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2019 1:31:19 AM EDT
Hello all.  This is my first post and I have much to ask as I have many AR's in different calibers and 2 retro builds (NoDak Spud lowers ordered) I'm doing (plus a .450 Bushmaster giving me a headache).  All that aside I ran into at a pawn shop a Spider Arms Ferret .50 BMG built on a DPMS lower, shot of course, with 200 rounds re-manufactured API  LC 14 stamped ammo for 2100.00 dollars.  I've always wanted a 50 BMG and thought this was a good deal so I bought it.  The gun has no scope so my first two questions are was this a good impulse buy and what kind of scope should I go with.  This is something I'll shoot a couple times a year and reload (I inherited dies long ago).  I have noticed Burris making scopes that might suit me but I've never owned one, I hear they are excellent for the price.  Any thoughts?  Please keep in mind this is my first AR post.  My military collection is sizeable but I'm learning about AR's as I go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
$2100 with 200 rounds of remanufactured ammo?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:01:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SonnyBurnett] [#2]
Yes. I got it all for that.  if it's a good deal great!  now what type of scope should I look for?  Keep in mind I'll be shooting it a couple times a year.  I have been looking at Burris.  They seem to have a good rep and a good warranty.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Just put a SWFA SS 20X on it. Inexpensive and works. Had one on my 50BMG years ago. Why put an expensive scope on something you will use only a few times a year?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends on max distance you have available, or range limits.
A Bushnel fixed 10X is GTG for <$200 new, cheaper used here in exchange.

Or if longer ranges are expected a Super Sniper 16X or 20x.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've looked at those and I like them too.  Is there an upside to them rather than the Burris?  I do like the Burris warranty but I'n not familiar with either to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Vortex and Leupold will fix or replace any scope you manage to break on that .50 so don’t limit yourself to Burris.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50_Shooter] [#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Ferret 50 upper several years ago.  The muzzle brake was HORRIBLE...felt like getting hit in the head with a hammer every shot.  Recoil was very manageable.  I put about 60 rounds through it and traded it for a 458 Socom.

I am not sure where today's prices are on the uppers, but if it is affordable they are nice.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Those SWFA scopes seem nice.  It has an adjustable stock on it which I'm going to swap out for a solid A2 style with an adjustable cheek piece.  And yeah I've done some research on scope eye with these guns and it can be horrid so the eye relief is key.  I scope eyed myself the first time I set up my 450 Bushmaster and that was bad enough!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SonnyBurnett:
Hello all.  This is my first post and I have much to ask as I have many AR's in different calibers and 2 retro builds (NoDak Spud lowers ordered) I'm doing (plus a .450 Bushmaster giving me a headache).  All that aside I ran into at a pawn shop a Spider Arms Ferret .50 BMG built on a DPMS lower, shot of course, with 200 rounds re-manufactured API  LC 14 stamped ammo for 2100.00 dollars.  I've always wanted a 50 BMG and thought this was a good deal so I bought it.  The gun has no scope so my first two questions are was this a good impulse buy and what kind of scope should I go with.  This is something I'll shoot a couple times a year and reload (I inherited dies long ago).  I have noticed Burris making scopes that might suit me but I've never owned one, I hear they are excellent for the price.  Any thoughts?  Please keep in mind this is my first AR post.  My military collection is sizeable but I'm learning about AR's as I go.
View Quote
I would have passed and saved for an AR-10.  Those tend to be junk...
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:46:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SonnyBurnett] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

I would have passed and saved for an AR-10.  Those tend to be junk...
View Quote
They are?  What do you mean?  What's your experience with the Ferret 50, how bad was it?
I am currently building a prototype AR 10 with the hook breech under carry handle, just trying to find the red fiberglass stock set.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top