Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2018 6:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rakkasan1187]
Hey guys Im looking to buy a Tikka T3x Tactical 300 win mag rifle. It has a 23.7" barrel with 1:11 twist according to euro optic. What would be some factory loads that would give me a full powder burn, giving me good accuracy, and great ballistics for hunting? I don't reload. I was eyeing up the Hornady 200gr ELD X ammo.

Ive read some articles that 22" barrels lose no velocity over the longer barrels when using faster burning powders.

I will be using this mostly for hunting, including some long range hunting, and target shooting 1000 yards and beyond. Im new to this and wanted to see what the experts recommend. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly you'll just have to buy a bunch of different stuff and get a chronograph to decide what will be the most efficient.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:40:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#3]
Easy, look for light-ish bullets and if they'll let you handle a round, shake it. High energy fast burning powders will be used in smaller doses. If you shake a round and can tell there's powder shifting around in there (like quite a bit) then you know they've not got that much in there. Look for around 125-150gn (for CPX2 type game) bullets. You should not experience much in the way of velocity loss over a 24" pipe either way (much meaning some huge number, there will be some loss but it won't matter at hunting ranges, even at LONG range hunting distances, they're still not that far away).
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Easy, look for light-ish bullets and if they'll let you handle a round, shake it. High energy fast burning powders will be used in smaller doses. If you shake a round and can tell there's powder shifting around in there (like quite a bit) then you know they've not got that much in there. Look for around 125-150gn (for CPX2 type game) bullets. You should not experience much in the way of velocity loss over a 24" pipe either way (much meaning some huge number, there will be some loss but it won't matter at hunting ranges, even at LONG range hunting distances, they're still not that far away).
View Quote
You're suggesting he use 125gr to 150gr bullets for hunting with his 300wm?
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not sure why you are suprised by this, no one mentioned what kind of hunting and people hunt elk with 6.5s that have bullets in that range. I personally don't, but some do. Especially antelope, coyotes, wolves, deer. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BuschLatte:
Not sure why you are suprised by this, no one mentioned what kind of hunting and people hunt elk with 6.5s that have bullets in that range. I personally don't, but some do. Especially antelope, coyotes, wolves, deer. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuschLatte:
Bullet construction between the 2 calibers we're discussing is radically different. I'm no expert on 300WM loads nor elk hunting but a tough, heavy for caliber bullet seems to be the most recommended when going for big game.

ie: 6.5 CM with a 143 ELD-X, 30-06 with 165 or heavier bullet etc etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top