Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2021 1:55:01 PM EDT
Spring has sprung and the Wuhan troubles are fading.  I have gained access to a 400 yard range and I do not have a rifle that can play at that distance; not to mention that I don't have experience at that range.  
I would like to set up a rifle that will enjoyable at that range and help me build skill.
Additionally, I am left hand.  So my choices of bolt guns, while much better than in years past when I just lived with RH guns, is still limited; and I want to work with a LH rifle this time.
I have been reading about the Begara's B14 HMR and think that would nice.  But, they are on back order right now.  
I have found a Savage Tactical in LH that is only around 700.00.  The Begara is a few hundred more.
Euro optics is taking back orders but demand payment up front without giving a time frame for shipment.  That seems sub-optimal to me.
I think I may settle for the Savage Tactical and make due until the situation clears up a little.  I don't want to be waiting months without a rifle to shoot.
The Savage Tactical seems to be adequate for my skill and experience levels to get started now.  I can improve my skills and re-evaluate equipment later.  Perhaps the Begara will become more readily available later.
I am not sufficiently skilled that I can utilize one of the advanced rifles at this point, so this may be a choice that includes a distinction without a difference.
I was also thinking about buying of the half price CT optics to put on this rifle as a starter unit.
Caliber would be 6.5 Credmoor.  I have some access to ammo for it for now in a personal network.  

Is my thinking here sound?  Is any difference between the Savage and the Begara worth wait if it is reasonable in length?
Any idea when the Begara's are going to be available again?

Thank you for any input.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Virtually any quality firearm, including bone stock AR-15's are capable of good accuracy at 400 yards with match grade ammo.

400 yards is considered "mid-range" shooting. Anything between 300/600 yards is considered mid-range.

You do not need specialized equipment to make good shots at these distances.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Virtually any quality firearm, including bone stock AR-15's are capable of good accuracy at 400 yards with match grade ammo.

400 yards is considered "mid-range" shooting. Anything between 300/600 yards is considered mid-range.

View Quote
Preach!

That said, I prefer Savage if for no other reason than the bolt handles are almost impossible to break. You'd think that's not important but eventually you'll start reloading and then at some point you'll need to use a hammer to open the bolt. Bergara you can get way better triggers for though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
400 yards can easily be done with an "average" rifle. Spend your money on optics and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I will not buy cheap optics under the notion that they will be "good enough for now". What usually happens is you end up replacing them and that money becomes wasted. A quality fixed power scope is better than a cheap variable. Sightron's SIII fixed power modified-mildot 10X can be found for around $450.00 when they go on sale. I would trust this scope over anything made in China.

The advantage of buying a Bergera or similar rifle is that their stock has a bedding block and is adjustable to fit you. This makes it useable straight from the factory with little need to upgrade. Lots of after market stocks can be found for Remington 700's and Savage rifles that have aluminum bedding blocks. Some come from the factory that way.

Ammunition shortages are going to be an issue for at least another year. Know that before choosing any caliber for a new firearm. The only advantage of buying a Savage (IMO) is the ability to swap barrels at home.

Lots of lightly used rifles are available at estate sales and most localities. There is nothing wrong with buying used as long as the rifle shows very little wear. Remington 700 Police models would be one of my first picks because of the huge aftermarket support and most of them shoot great as is. I own a Winchester M70 .223 that came with a Bell & Carlson stock and a 26" heavy varmint stainless steel barrel that has been a great factory rifle from day one. It's perfectly capable of <4" groups at 400 yards.

Winchester also made the same model in .308 and occasionally they pop up for sale used.

Ammunition quality has had a greater effect on accuracy from every rifle I have ever owned compared to any other upgrade. Federal Gold Medal match or similar will allow you to gauge any rifle's potential.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

So a standard Savage 110 would be fine.  Great.  I do need a LH rifle, so that will be limiting right now.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Preach!

That said, I prefer Savage if for no other reason than the bolt handles are almost impossible to break. You'd think that's not important but eventually you'll start reloading and then at some point you'll need to use a hammer to open the bolt. Bergara you can get way better triggers for though.
View Quote

Thank you.  I thought the very specialized versions of the prescion rifles looked like overkill.

I do think the adjustable stocks are worth it because I shoot modified stocks in every gun I have.  I need a shorter LOP than is usually available.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I will not buy cheap optics under the notion that they will be "good enough for now". What usually happens is you end up replacing them and that money becomes wasted. A quality fixed power scope is better than a cheap variable. Sightron's SIII fixed power modified-mildot 10X can be found for around $450.00 when they go on sale. I would trust this scope over anything made in China.

The advantage of buying a Bergera or similar rifle is that their stock has a bedding block and is adjustable to fit you. This makes it useable straight from the factory with little need to upgrade. Lots of after market stocks can be found for Remington 700's and Savage rifles that have aluminum bedding blocks. Some come from the factory that way...

View Quote

The problem for me is the LH need.  They are scarce.  I don't want to wait forever to find a deal on a LH rifle.
There is a Savage with their adjustable stock available in 6.5 CM.  But I may look for a version in 223 for ammo availability.  I have family access to 6.5 CM now; but want to move away from that ASAP.  
I do not want the recoil of the 308 type rifles.  This is not a big game rifle.  Primarily a skill builder.  
Thank you for the reply.  I wonder if there are Remington's in LH readily available.
The Crimson Trace scope i am looking at is a Japanese made optic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:27:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadowgrouse] [#8]
Speaking as a fellow southpaw,  I've got a left handed 110 tactical in .308 and it's more than adequate for 400 yards.
The recoil isn't bad either, my wife shoots it comfortably. Yes, 6.5 CM has less recoil but a..308 is by no means a thumper.

I can't recall Remington ever being active in the LH market.
Browning, Ruger and Savage were the big three.
Tikka makes some some nice options in LH as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Why do you NEED a left hand gun?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumpy5] [#10]
I think either rifle is would be a good choice to start with. I have shot a Savage tactical in 338 Lapua and it was a great shooting gun. I really liked the trigger on it, its leaps and bounds above triggers that manufacturers used to put on guns, it really changed the gun industry.

While 400 yards doesn't need top tier opticts however having a good quality scope will make it easier to have success as your range increases. Also, if you upgrade your rifle you can always move the scope over to the new rifle. I like Leupold scopes because their CS has been outstanding. I also have no problem with Vortex or Nightforce. Look at scopes with a 3-15 to 5-20 magnification range. The objective lens size is mostly a personal choice.

One thing that is often overlooked that can really help new shooters improve is a log book. As you track your shots and your point of aim it will help make you more conscious of little things. It can also help teach you how to read the wind and make corrections.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top