Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2023 3:52:35 PM EDT
I am looking for a training aid to improved my off hand shooting for high power.  I was looking at SCATT and NOPTEC but really don't want to invest $1500.00.  MANTIS has some options for around $300.  I even saw an AR version of this called the Blackbeard?  Anyone have any experience with these?.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 6:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoctorCAD] [#1]
I just got a Strikeman laser system.  So far, so good.

I'm not a big fan of having to subscribe to something I already paid for, but the free version is acceptable.

It was $100
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
I just got a Strikeman laser system.  So far, so good.

I'm not a big fan of having to subscribe to something I already paid for, but the free version is acceptable.

It was $100
View Quote

Does the strikeman record and show you your approach, wobble, shot placement, and post shot?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
No, just the shot placement...at least in the free app.  They have more stuff of you pay more.

For $100...including the laser cartridge...it's a deal.  I shot 100 shots last night from my recliner.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
No, just the shot placement...at least in the free app.  They have more stuff of you pay more.

For $100...including the laser cartridge...it's a deal.  I shot 100 shots last night from my recliner.
View Quote

Okay, thanks, I'm looking for something that will track the whole shot sequence
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Used SCATT trainers show up regularly on the US Rifle Teams forum for about $800.

Get that. It’s the gold standard for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Mantis X10 and a SCATT. The Mantis is a decent tool and I use it often for pistol dry fire, but it isn't sufficient for high power practice in my opinion. It just doesn't have the fidelity to give precise enough feedback. The Mantis could probably get you to putting all your shots in the black, but not get you to a clean score with a high X count.

The SCATT is the standard for a reason. Its the best. They're expensive, but I justified it in terms off trade off. For off hand especially its at least as valuable as live fire, if not more valuable because it shows trace and impact. Factory match ammo costs in excess of $1 a shot (especially in 2020 when I bought my SCATT), plus barrels at $500 a piece, never mind the gas and range fees, plus the time to get to/from the range. The break even point for the SCATT was less than 2000 trigger pulls. If I shoot 20 a day, that's 100 days of practice. It paid itself off in under two years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top