Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2017 10:10:21 PM EDT
Alright guys I have a Browning A-Bolt.  My grandfather bought it for me when I was 12 and I have probably walked a thousand miles through the woods with it and shot no telling how many rounds.  With that being said I have always kept the barrell and chamber very clean but the bolt has gotten to where it isn't smooth at all when closing it.  It feels like it has sticky gum or something inside it.  I am sure whatever lubrication was put into it at the factory 20 years ago has completely broken down. I am wanting to clean it and get it to where it feels as it did when it was new.  Can anyone help me out on the disassembly or should I just break down and take it to a gun Smith and have it cleaned there as this gun does mean a great deal to me.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You haven't oiled the bolt in 20 years??
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
http://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/owners-manuals/2016/14-BFA-331_ABolt%20Rifle%20OM_WEB.pdf

Do you mean full disassembly, or just removing the bolt?
View Quote
Full disassembly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IE-EastTexas:
You haven't oiled the bolt in 20 years??
View Quote
Yes I have oiled it.  I think the oil has broken down over the years and whatever maybe in there and the factory oil have completely broken down.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I use either Gun Scrubber or Action Blaster (degreaser), gun oil or carbon remover, a loose fitting phosphor bronze brush on a cleaning rod, some kitchen towel or rags, and a toothbrush.

Once the bolt is apart, scrub accessible areas with the toothbrush and oil, then place oil in the bolt body and scrub it with the bore brush. Once that's done, wipe off what surfaces you can and spray everything with degreaser, making sure to thoroughly flush the bolt body out with it.

When it's all clean, lightly oil accessible surfaces, then place a small amount of grease on threads, camming surfaces, and on the back of the bolt lugs. I would not place anything more than a light touch of oil as it tends to migrate out the bolt.

The other thing that really helps is a lug cleaning tool. I like the one BoreTech makes. You would be amazed at what builds up in lug recesses, especially on front locking designs such as the Mauser 98 action.

I clean quite a few pre-1945 bolts in this way and it does a great job at removing decades of fouling and congealed oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top