Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2018 6:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106]
A couple months ago, I acquired an Anderson lower for some work I did. I was thinking of what I could do with it. First thought was a 22lr AR, but that faded. I was looking on MidwayUSA and saw a sale on Stoner barrels. I picked up a 24" bull profile in 223 Wylde for under $130 shipped. Building off that, I looked for cheap parts to make a "precision AR". Using an Aero handguard, UTG A2 Stock, PSA LPK, Anderson Upper, AIM BCG and a LaRue MBT, I put together this rifle (before optics and bipod) for under $600:

Attachment Attached File

I slapped a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP Mil  in a Primary arms mount and a Magpul bipod on it to finish it out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:42:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#1]
Here is one 5 shot  group: Attachment Attached File

The yellow squares are 1".

These are Nosler 55gr Orange Tips with 25gr BL-C(2)
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#2]
Another 5 shot group with 55gr Hornady V-Max with 25gr BL-C(2):

Each square is 1/2"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  Pretty similar to a cheap build I just put together.  Threw some blem parts I bought cheap, along with some parts I already had, and bam, new rifle!  You have a better scope(cheap no name scope that came bundled with a Black Friday Special Remington rifle) and probably better barrel than mine though (my barrel is a green mountain 20" A1 profile barrel with 1:9 twist).  Congrats on your new build!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Groups at 25 yards, right? :)

But seriously, nice gun and nice groups especially for $600!
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KentuckyMarksman:
Nice!  Pretty similar to a cheap build I just put together.  Threw some blem parts I bought cheap, along with some parts I already had, and bam, new rifle!  You have a better scope(cheap no name scope that came bundled with a Black Friday Special Remington rifle) and probably better barrel than mine though (my barrel is a green mountain 20" A1 profile barrel with 1:9 twist).  Congrats on your new build!
View Quote
Thank you, sir. It was also the first time using the scope. I have seen some reviews of the Diamondback Tactical FFP online and wanted to see it for myself. A Mil/Mil FFP scope for $400 was worth a shot. It is made in China, but it seemed to hold up well for .223.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MarkL1:
Groups at 25 yards, right? :)

But seriously, nice gun and nice groups especially for $600!
View Quote
You would think for $130 it would be 25 yds, but it was 100 yds. I had some other range members there and they were giving my AR a good looking over. Showed them those groups and they were amazed. I told them what I paid for the barrel and they walked away shocked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s nice when you can get a budget build to produce impressive results.

Looking forward to multiple 5 shot groups and hopefully your entry into the MOA challenge. It’s always interesting to see how the barrel does as it gets warm.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
It’s nice when you can get a budget build to produce impressive results.

Looking forward to multiple 5 shot groups and hopefully your entry into the MOA challenge. It’s always interesting to see how the barrel does as it gets warm.
View Quote
Funny you mention the MOA challenge. I was back out this morning working up a load with 68gr Hornady BTHPs and IMR 4895. I had a couple of real nice 5-shot groups and am working on getting a good load to do the MOA challenge. I need to measure and go through the data from this morning, but I will post a summary and whatnot later.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
From this morning:

Attachment Attached File

I think the horizontal stringing is my technique, although the wind was blowing the target around a bit. I tried to catch it between gusts. I think I can narrow it down to 22-23.5gr and go again with 22, 22.3, 22.6, 22.9, 23.2 for charges. What say the hive?

The MBT trigger is great and has a very crisp break. I was using the Magpul bipod and cornhole bags as rear rests. I did have to provide pressure the bags, so I think they will be ok for the MOA challenge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!!

My varminter was sort of a similar idea; i didn't focus on staying super budget but absolutely took advantage of sales. Got my WOA 20" barrel for just under 200 and geissele g2s-e from brownells for 125. Works for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXCATM76] [#11]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
From this morning:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199833/IMG_20181012_135221163_jpg-702634.JPG

I think the horizontal stringing is my technique, although the wind was blowing the target around a bit. I tried to catch it between gusts. I think I can narrow it down to 22-23.5gr and go again with 22, 22.3, 22.6, 22.9, 23.2 for charges. What say the hive?

The MBT trigger is great and has a very crisp break. I was using the Magpul bipod and cornhole bags as rear rests. I did have to provide pressure the bags, so I think they will be ok for the MOA challenge.
View Quote
No offense, but it dosen’t look like you are measuring your groups properly. It looks like you are measuring center to center and then subtracting .224”. You need to measure outside to outside if you are going to subtract the bullet diameter. Your second group for instance, you have marked at .46”, were that the case your group would be just larger then 3 holes touching, it is obviously bigger than that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EXCATM76:

No offense, but it dosen’t look like you are measuring your groups properly. It looks like you are measuring center to center and then subtracting .224”. You need to measure outside to outside if you are going to subtract the bullet diameter. Your second group for instance, you have marked at .46”, were that the case your group would be just larger then 3 holes touching, it is obviously bigger than that.
View Quote
None taken. I will remeasure when I get home. I want to get it right for honesty. I will take a picture of the calipers as well. I just got a set of Mitutoyos, so it could be me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EXCATM76:

My mistake. Sometimes you just look at something wrong and type before you think it thru. Nice shooting.
View Quote
No problem. It does look weird in the photos. They are with my camera phone, so it could be the angle or the light. I made sure my calipers were zeroed out and checked the groups with the Mitutoyos and a set of Hornady digitals. I tried to make sure the grease rings were visible on the edges as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
What make/model caliper is that, and are you happy with it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MarkL1:
What make/model caliper is that, and are you happy with it?
View Quote
Amazon Product
  • Measures 0 to 6" (0 to 150mm) in 0.0005" (0.01mm) increments for precision use
  • Digital readout LCD shows inch or metric units for versatility when measuring
  • Advanced onsite sensor (AOS) electromagnetic inductive sensor for resistance to dirt, oil, and water

They are going well so far. Always return to zero and out to 4 decimals. I like them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#18]
OP

What twist rate is the barrel?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Great results for low budget and such a cheap bbl. My Grendel was about was around $730 but my barrel trigger was $400 of that and cheapest I could find for all other parts. It shoots moa with about everything I load for it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By abc123456789:
OP

What twist rate is the barrel?
View Quote
1-8"
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Impressive stuff OP....esp for a budget build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top