Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2018 12:05:09 PM EDT
I recently bought a H&R M14 battle rifle and it came with the Harris bipod and Fulton armory scope mount.

There was also a supposed Leupold mk4 on it but I didn't pick that one up yet cause I know fakes are common.

I have a real one on my mk12mod0 clone but this one is a bit different. Maybe older ? Can you help me tell if it's a legit or fake one from the pic ?

[img]http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/427CDB4B-A2E5-4AFB-8422-33D8B64A5EAE_zps59fgbn3f.jpg[/

[img]http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/42E1EB0F-FF82-4DDA-A5B4-08855E740E8A_zps9wqrh4eu.jpg[/

[img]http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/741D4504-7BEC-4C10-910C-0C7C430BF1A9_zpsjo8htkb0.jpg[/img

What do you say ?

Any other specifics I should check and ask pictures of ?

Thanks a lot !
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#1]
I'm pretty sure the Leupold Chinese knock off story is a hoax. I won't touch a new Leupold because their QC is crap. If it's an older Leupold it's probably a great scope. I have an older one and I like it.

Also, your images are not showing up. You cut the closing tag off.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Fixed the pictures for ya OP

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
First thing is call Leupold and give them the serial number and have them check it.  Does the scope have a Gold or black ring on the front objective?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sschefer:
I'm pretty sure the Leupold Chinese knock off story is a hoax.
View Quote
There are a ton of Chinese counterfeits out there.
https://www.leupold.com/service-support/resources/counterfeit-warning
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#5]
the first thing that strikes me as different from my older (circa 2003-ish) 3-9x MR/T Mk4 is the gold-colored inset on the face of the windage knob.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#6]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

the first thing that strikes me as different from my older (circa 2003-ish) 3-9x MR/T Mk4 is the gold-colored inset on the face of the windage knob.

ar-jedi

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/sticks/DSCN0927.JPG
View Quote
That's the parallax knob.

OP, to me it looks real but need more pictures to tell.  Mainly of front objective.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I was at a gun show and a dealer had a brand new 'Leupold MK4' scope on his table for $200. Looked like a real good copy, even felt good and wasn't bad to look through. Dealer was honest said it was a Chinese knock off. It was some little details that made me at first wonder, but my MK4 is nearly 20 years old. At least the dealer was honest, does bother me the Chinese putting Leupold and then 'L's on the turrets is not right
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#8]
Originally Posted By DonofKalifornia:
I was at a gun show and a dealer had a brand new 'Leupold MK4' scope on his table for $200. Looked like a real good copy, even felt good and wasn't bad to look through. Dealer was honest said it was a Chinese knock off. It was some little details that made me at first wonder, but my MK4 is nearly 20 years old. At least the dealer was honest, does bother me the Chinese putting Leupold and then 'L's on the turrets is not right
View All Quotes
The counterfeits I have seen were pretty well made. But paying $200 for a MK4 copy is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
First thing is call Leupold and give them the serial number and have them check it.  Does the scope have a Gold or black ring on the front objective?
View Quote
Not sure it would work from Switzerland. Would you do it for me with the serial ? I'd PayPal you your expenses in advance.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Shung:
Not sure it would work from Switzerland. Would you do it for me with the serial ? I'd PayPal you your expenses in advance.
View All Quotes
Yes I can call for you.  It's free to do so no expenses needed but I can't quite make out the whole serial number. It's kinda blurry.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Yes I can call for you.  It's free to do so no expenses needed but I can't quite make out the whole serial number. It's kinda blurry.
View Quote
that would be very kind. I sent them an email but no answer so far. Just in case tell them you call for me so they don't think they have multiple request for the same serial.

284823H

thanks a lot !
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]

that would be very kind. I sent them an email but no answer so far. Just in case tell them you call for me so they don't think they have multiple request for the same serial.

284823H

thanks a lot !
View Quote
They are closed till Monday but I will call and ask.  I'll update when I can.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The counterfeits I have seen were pretty well made. But paying $200 for a MK4 copy is a pretty good deal.
View All Quotes
I have seen quite a Chinese scopes/knock off that have a lot of features I like. Since the dealer was honest I came real close to buying it for on a PSA build.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks !

from the serial this scope would have been manufactured in 2000 if its legit:

https://www.leupold.com/leupold-core/core-knowledge/faqs#WhenWasMyScopeManufactured
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]
@Shung

I talked with Leupold and unfortunately they updated their database so it doesn't go back that far, the scope is to old. So they said to get some pictures of the power selector ring. Make sure the numbers show in the picture. The fakes have it opposite than the real ones. As the fakes you have to turn the ring counterclockwise to zoom in and the real are clockwise.  When I get the pictures from you the guy at Leupold I spoke to gave me his email address and he will look at the pictures to try and confirm if it's real or not.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
@Shung

I talked with Leupold and unfortunately they updated their database so it doesn't go back that far, the scope is to old. So they said to get some pictures of the power selector ring. Make sure the numbers show in the picture. The fakes have it opposite than the real ones. As the fakes you have to turn the ring counterclockwise to zoom in and the real are clockwise.  When I get the pictures from you the guy at Leupold I spoke to gave me his email address and he will look at the pictures to try and confirm if it's real or not.
View Quote
good info.

A guy name A. Reed answered me and said it was another type of scope (Vari X III) serial but he read it incorrectly. I sent him the correct S/N and I am now waiting for another answer. Here is hoping it's not the same guy.

thanks for your time Sir !
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]

good info.

A guy name A. Reed answered me and said it was another type of scope (Vari X III) serial but he read it incorrectly. I sent him the correct S/N and I am now waiting for another answer. Here is hoping it's not the same guy.

thanks for your time Sir !
View Quote
It's the same guy.  He said I was the second asking about this scope.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Does the objective bell ring say the model?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Does the objective bell ring say the model?
View Quote
I couldnt see it.

it was under the lens cover.

I need the guy to answer me again about the VALID S/N i sent him.

he hasnt replied me back yet
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
@Shung

View Quote
That is handy to know.  I think all of mine are legit, but for some reason with one of three of my LRTs, I think the elevation knob runs a different direction.

I will have to check them now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#21]
The guy isn't answering me anymore...

Here was his message

Verify the Serial # of that scope.  From what I can see in one of the photos, it appears to be 284623H which would make it a Vari-X III from the year 2000 our database, not a Mark 4.  It could be authentic, but only 3 of the 6 links actually displayed pictures of the scope, and that's far too little information to make an absolute determination at this point.
Best Regards,
View Quote
Problem is that he checked the wrong serial. Here is the right one

284823H

Are you sure the guy checked the good one with you ? I can't believe they don't have any records
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The guy isn't answering me anymore...

Here was his message

Problem is that he checked the wrong serial. Here is the right one

284823H

Are you sure the guy checked the good one with you ? I can't believe they don't have any records
View Quote
If the guy is ignoring you now then chances are it was fake.  I gave the correct serial number to Leupold and it was for a MK4. The records have to do with them updating their database.  It's odd that they would of got rid of old records.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#23]

If the guy is ignoring you now then chances are it was fake.  I gave the correct serial number to Leupold and it was for a MK4. The records have to do with them updating their database.  It's odd that they would of got rid of old records.
View Quote
what do you mean by this ? the guy from leupold told you my serial was correct for a Leupold Mk4 ?

the guy ignoring me is the guy from leupold, not the seller (who is a gun collector in my area and a cop. he is not some kind of stranger. I want to verify because he bought this scope long ago from another person)
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#24]
It could be a valid serial number on an invalid scope so that doesn't even seem like a good way to check for a fake.

China could have pump out thousands of that scope all with the same valid serial number.

More pictures would help, the knobs(tops of them), the objective bell ring, the mag ring, the reticle. Those pictures are worthless.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#25]

what do you mean by this ? the guy from leupold told you my serial was correct for a Leupold Mk4 ?

the guy ignoring me is the guy from leupold, not the seller (who is a gun collector in my area and a cop. he is not some kind of stranger. I want to verify because he bought this scope long ago from another person)
View Quote
My bad. I thought the seller was ignoring you. Yes the guy from Leupold I spoke with said the serial number was for a MK4 scope but wanted more pictures to confirm it's real.  The Chinese did put real serial numbers on some fake scopes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
It could be a valid serial number on an invalid scope so that doesn't even seem like a good way to check for a fake.

China could have pump out thousands of that scope all with the same valid serial number.

More pictures would help, the knobs(tops of them), the objective bell ring, the mag ring, the reticle. Those pictures are worthless.
View Quote
This

Need pictures of the power selector ring.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok guys. I trust the seller enough to tell him that I want to buy the scope with the possibility to return it to him if I discover it's a fake after taking pictures and submitting them here.

I'll call him tomorrow and provide you a detail of these.

it would be a shame to pass this scope if it's genuine. the price is very good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
ok guys.. little update. the seller gave me the scope for analysis, and I need to decide it if i want it or not.

First surprise.. after closer inspection, the right in front says it's not a Mk4, but a vari X-III

now... i don't know what its worth. here is 3 more pics I took. can you tell me what kind of pics you need to determine authenticity ?

what worries me most is that the turrets only have 1 tightening screws. My genuine mk4 have 3 per turrets instead.

can you tell me what other pictures you might need ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#29]
ok guys.. little update. the seller gave me the scope for analysis, and I need to decide it if i want it or not.

First surprise.. after closer inspection, the right in front says it's not a Mk4, but a vari X-III

now... i don't know what its worth. here is 3 more pics I took. can you tell me what kind of pics you need to determine authenticity ?

what worries me most is that the turrets only have 1 tightening screws. My genuine mk4 have 3 per turrets instead.

https://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/11/94/71/06/image10.jpg

https://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/11/94/71/06/image11.jpg

https://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/11/94/71/06/image12.jpg

can you tell me what other pictures you might need ?
View Quote
When I had my Leupold MK4 it only had one tightening screw per turret.  Also vari X-III didn't have tall M1 turrets I believe and they had a gold ring on the front bell not a black ring.  What reticle does it have? Everything looks right except the writing on the bell.

ETA:  Ask the seller if he sent it in and had M1 turrets put on. Leupold does do that on the vari X-III.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#30]

When I had my Leupold MK4 it only had one tightening screw per turret.  Also vari X-III didn't have tall M1 turrets I believe and they had a gold ring on the front bell not a black ring.  What reticle does it have? Everything looks right except the writing on the bell.

ETA:  Ask the seller if he sent it in and had M1 turrets put on. Leupold does do that on the vari X-III.
View Quote
the seller got it from a friend who bought it in a canadian gun shop 10 years ago. impossible to have such kind of info.

would it helped if I showed you a picture of the turrets removed ? I'll take a picture of the reticle tomorrow in daylight. Looks like mildot
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#31]

the seller got it from a friend who bought it in a canadian gun shop 10 years ago. impossible to have such kind of info.

would it helped if I showed you a picture of the turrets removed ? I'll take a picture of the reticle tomorrow in daylight. Looks like mildot
View Quote
I'm not sure if a picture with the turrets removed will help or not. Never saw a vari X-III with turrets removed. Not sure if they are different. And calling Leupold would probably be worthless since their records don't go back that far.  If your buddy had it for 10yrs did he ever have any issues with it?  Not holding zero? Throwing shots? Canted reticle? Anything at all?  What is he changing you for the scope? You can PM me if you don't want to post the price here.   If everything worked fine for him and the price is reasonable it would probably be worth getting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, right before the mark-4's came to market Leupold was putting out some vari-x 3 oddballs that don't conform with normal..this may well be one of them..I have a Leupold I bought new back then that doesn't exist according to Leupold when I have had to send it in...(still have the original box and paperwork)...Your scope may well be one of them...

Here is an add for one that is almost identical to mine..except mine has the 3/4 mil dot reticle...1" tube, illuminated mil dot reticle, Adjustable objective on the bell, covered turrets..I should send it in and have it converted to target knobs, but it is SFP and I don't use it anyway...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-Vari-X-III-4-5-14x50mm-A-O-Rifle-Scope-Lighted-/362341019994

The box label on my scope...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:58:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D-RAS03] [#33]
Do you have calipers or something to measure the tube?  I know the MK4 was 30mm(1.18") and I think the vari X-III was 1".
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:21:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#34]
Here is the diameter of the tube is indeed 1.18.

It has the exact same dimensions as my legit mk4 but the scope ring says vari X-III

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/13405008-4245-4567-8188-44E259F3CA7E_zps4tt4pnv7.jpg
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is the diameter of the tube is indeed 1.18.

It has the exact same dimensions as my legit mk4 but the scope ring says vari X-III

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/13405008-4245-4567-8188-44E259F3CA7E_zps4tt4pnv7.jpg
View Quote
I wonder if the old MK4 did say vari x-lll on the ring. That part confuses me.  Unless some vari x-lll did have a 30mm tube and the original owner send it in for upgrades. Again depending on the price the guy wants it still may be worth picking up.  Do you have any reservations about posting the price?  Would help in letting you know if it's worth it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]

I wonder if the old MK4 did say vari x-lll on the ring. That part confuses me.  Unless some vari x-lll did have a 30mm tube and the original owner send it in for upgrades. Again depending on the price the guy wants it still may be worth picking up.  Do you have any reservations about posting the price?  Would help in letting you know if it's worth it.
View Quote
absolutely not. I mentionned it before. he wants 500$
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#37]

absolutely not. I mentionned it before. he wants 500$
View Quote
Guess I didn't see it.  Not a bad price. About what used MK4s are going for.  I would say buy it.  Maybe talk him down a little if ya can but still not a bad deal for $500.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#38]
I agree.

My only concern is... Is it really a legit Leupold product. Everything seems well built and extremely similar to my other Mk4...

But it being a vari X-III with all of the Mk4 characteristic is certainly odd...

Few more pics. On top and right is my 100% legit Leupold mk4, bottom or left with the top turret removed is the scope we have been discussing so far.

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree.

My only concern is... Is it really a legit Leupold product. Everything seems well built and extremely similar to my other Mk4...

But it being a vari X-III with all of the Mk4 characteristic is certainly odd...

Few more pics. On top and right is my 100% legit Leupold mk4, bottom or left with the top turret removed is the scope we have been discussing so far.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/4EB43AAC-DCE3-4655-ADB4-A4BBBB149496_zpsqjndaef0.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/421C4E69-3D12-442C-9921-4F08E827497C_zpslqc5v7r4.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/97F71093-D5CC-4943-AF42-2856613CCC32_zpsqgiroojn.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/C47313EF-778B-422B-8D94-9CB5F742317F_zpsmb0y4m1g.jpg
View Quote
I truly believe it is a real Leupold that was sent in and had M1 turrets installed.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Is the weight similar?

Here is an old pic I took of my Leupold MK4 with the turret off. Looks the same as yours. Don't mind the white ring inside. I made a zero stop for it. Worked quite well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#40]

I truly believe it is a real Leupold that was sent in and had M1 turrets installed.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Is the weight similar?

Here is an old pic I took of my Leupold MK4 with the turret off. Looks the same as yours. Don't mind the white ring inside. I made a zero stop for it. Worked quite well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81046/IMG_2861_JPG-746640.JPG
View Quote
seeing the turret design conforts me. Yes. The weight is indeed very similar.

Thank you very much for your help- I'm gonna keep it
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#41]

seeing the turret design conforts me. Yes. The weight is indeed very similar.

Thank you very much for your help- I'm gonna keep it
View Quote
I think you're making the right choice keeping it.  You're welcome, anything I can do to help.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:42:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: devildog3062] [#42]
Do you have calipers or something to measure the tube?  I know the MK4 was 30mm(1.18") and I think the vari X-III was 1".
View Quote
I have a var  x III  3.5x10-40 and it's a 30 mms tube they later became the Mark 4 other than the MK 4 10x40 with m3 turrets which is a different than mark 4 variable
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#43]
It's a real Leupold. variX people can upgrade to the mk4 turrets and even add illumination if they want also.

Many people do it and there is nothing fake about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top