Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2020 1:33:11 PM EDT
Ready to pull the trigger on a new 22 bolt gun. Ive been going back and forth for a couple days on what to get. Right now, leaning heavily towards a T1x but in the back of my mind wondering if I should save $100 and get a CZ Scout and use that for a base. It has the 16" threaded barrel, though its not a bull barrel. Has nice iron sights which is a bonus but not really something I care about.

Would the front sight be an issue when I put a scope on it? It seems kinda tall with the hood. I would need to replace the stock at some point to get a longer LOP, but in the mean time I can use a limb saver.

On the other hand, the Tikka would just need an optic to get what I want. I dont think I want a heavy target stock like the CZ tacticool or AT-ONE stocks.  Tikka has the 45 deg bolt throw and seem to shoot lights out from out of the box. I would had a cheek riser, bipod and scope.

Purpose is a lighter weight target/plinking rifle for suppressed shooting. I dont think Ill get a chance to do any matches, though would love the opportunity.

Which would you choose?

This is replacing a Savage B22 FVSR that has been giving me problems since I got it. Its going back to Savage for the 2nd time, and then Im selling it with disclosure. It was pretty much exactly what I wanted at the price point I was looking for, but Im done with Savage rimfires.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#1]
Today I nailed a huge account.
I ran 1.5 hours to the only place I knew had 2 Tikka Tx1's.
I got a Vortex Diamondbacks tactical 4-16 scope,  rings and bases too.
Thats how I celebrated.

What I like about the Tikka is that I can switch out the comb grip and add an aftermarket cheekpiece for around $60 and  get the feel I want without spending $200+ on a stock. Tikka's modular stock is pretty nice. And I have built a few custom 22's and was still willing to want to keep this one pretty bone stock for what they can do out of the box.

Good luck trying to find a Tx1 UTR, a Bergara 14 with a carbon barrel or a target model CZ 457 here.
I feel lucky to have found the Tx1 MTR in the wild. And they had two.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
@shwa

I couldn't help myself but to go out in the half rain/snow crappy weather mix and try it out.

Now....I've built/adjusted/modified 22's a little here and there. No stranger to them.

But the Tikka really impressed me!
The place I got it from set it up for me. I've never let anyone do that before with any rifle, but the guy did it out in the open and did a nice job with the mounts, rings and scope. He boresighted it for me and the only adjustment I had to make was to bring it up a few inches to get my Zero at 50 yds.

I figured it would be a rushed range trip with the weather as it turned even more nasty, so I just brought along some 40gr bulk Blazer, which is my go to ammo for general plinking and squirrel hunting.

Groups were amazing. 5 shot groups were one ragged hole at 25yds without trying.
Opened up just a little at 50 yds......very impressed with what should have been bigger groups with the Blazer. Fantastic shooter!
Played on a steel spike at 100 yds too.

Trigger is perfect. I may dial it back just a slight bit, but great feel to it.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with this purchase already and plan to put it against two of my rifles I built up from stock 10/22 and a Savage.
I already know where I'd put my money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shwa] [#3]
@lorax

I havent stretched it out yet, but really liking it so far. Put the more vertical grip on it, filled the buttstock with some lead to balance it out a little more, harris ultralight bipod and a bushnell 1-10. No regrets getting it over a CZ. 50 yards I was seeing good performance but it was windy and I didnt have the bipod on it yet. Looking forward to seeing what it can really do.

Edit: yeah the trigger is pretty dang nice too. I went to the lightest setting and then backed off a little from there. It was borderline too light for my uses. Once I get more time behind it that may change.

The bolt throw is just a pleasure too. Completely different feel from my savage b22.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I'm really loving the Tikka. A step up and beyond my Savage 22's for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top