Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 3:20:54 PM EDT
Anyone have recommendations on a brass catcher for precision creedmoor brass in field positions?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Resistant-Convenient-Picatinny-Collection/dp/B00EB5OU0Q?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00EB5OU0Q

Attachment Attached File

I am assuming your rifle has a railed receiver...........

I bought multiple rail attachments and all I have to do is move the brass catcher from gun to gun. I put a square of metal screen in mine for stop melt through. Not really an issue though. It is fully adjustable fore and aft to mate up with ejection ports as needed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the Caldwell. Got one and it works nicely.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The rail mount Caldwell is brilliant. The one with the straps can be a pain, but it's still better than chasing brass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of the Caldwell rail-mount brass catchers.  ditto on using something to stop melt-through.  I made a cardboard liner out of cereal box, has lasted for years.  I set up 1 of the brass catcher baskets with the rail-mount at the rear of the basket, and another one with the mount at the front of the basket.  that way I can use one or the other for various configs, like, for red dots, it works better with the mount at the front of the basket.  for scopes, at the rear of the basket.  you have to juggle the available rail real-estate sometimes, especially if you have optics and BUIS.

problems I've run into, is some scopes have huge knobs (turret covers) on the right side, and sometimes that will interfere with being able to get the basket close to the ejection port.  Other problem is that on the Aimpoint CompM4s, the low side-mounted battery compartment interferes with the basket.

Other than that, I use them on my AR-15's and also my AR-10's.  I buy extra upper receiver mounts when they go on sale, and just leave them attached to each upper that I build.

JMHO, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes they can bounce a case back into the ejection port. But other than that they beat chasing brass in the grass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]
@EVR
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#7]
Get the picatinny mounted caldwell brass catcher posted above not their crap one that you strap around the gun with velcro.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:30:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 of the caldwell ones and they are nice.  I ended up taking a gamble on 1 I saw on amazon called gloryfire.  Same concept as the caldwell but it's cheaper and imo the mesh is much better.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I make my own.  Old hats, inner tubes, leather.  Catcher and deflectors.  Mostly deflectors which put the cases right at my feet for recovery.  I shoot very little factory ammo and I am sort of OCD about not losing brass.  I rarely use a catcher as they flop around and prefer my rubber and leather ones.  I use mine always.  Only guns that don't have them are HD guns.

At the range and in the field, too.

And sometimes in the field on the way to the range...

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Tactical Brass Recovery.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Tactical Brass Recovery.  Good stuff.
View Quote
Tactical Brass Recovery for $229.95, Alex.

No, sorry, make that Homebrew Brass Recovery for Free, Alex.

LOL.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a Caldwell that sits on the bench.  It can also be mounted on a tripod.  I don't like having unnecessary things flopping around on my rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I use a Caldwell that sits on the bench.  It can also be mounted on a tripod.  I don't like having unnecessary things flopping around on my rifle.
View Quote
This is what I use.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Having used the caldwells for years, I can tell you first hand that tactical brass recovery is well worth the added cost!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm also using the Caldwell rail mount brass catcher.  To stop the melt through, I bought some black cordura on ebay and had a local seamstress duplicate the net of mine in cordura.  When shooting my Creedmoor ARs, there is no more melt through.  Works great!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By joker581:
I made a little chute for mine that holds the bag open a little better and helps prevent that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joker581:
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Sometimes they can bounce a case back into the ejection port. But other than that they beat chasing brass in the grass.
I made a little chute for mine that holds the bag open a little better and helps prevent that.
Yeah I used card board and the black squeeze paper clips on my Velcro one's to make a shoot. the Caldwell one that fit's too the pic rail was the one I was talking about bouncy cases back.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
If you need to catch them, there's always French Fried Onions to the rescue.

Really, the receptacle options for free are endless.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I also use the Caldwell that mounts to the rail. I have never had any problems while using it. If I’m going to be shooting a lot, I’ll leave the bottom of the bag unzipped.  When it is unzipped, the brass will fall out of the bottom and land in a neat pile that’s easy to pick up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lew:
The rail mount Caldwell is brilliant. The one with the straps can be a pain, but it's still better than chasing brass.
View Quote
This^^^^^^^^10ring
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I made my own. Coat hanger wire soldered together that clips over the pic rail at 2 points. I wrapped it with some electrical tape to protect the rifle a little bit.

Attachment Attached File

Then i sewed up a small bag and put an elastic type shoestring on the open end as a draw string  to tighten up around the frame.

Attachment Attached File

I also ordered some mesh draw string bags from Amazon to try.

It has worked well in testing so far and is really light and removes quickly. You can also just pull off the bag, pull the draw string tight, and carry the empty brass in the bag.

It took me about 30 minutes to bend up and sssemble the frame and about 20 minutes to make the bag.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone tried the “Brass Goat” ?  For $40 I figured I’d give it a try.  I don’t mind losing 5.56 brass, or even 300 BO.  But I don’t want to loose any 300 Ham’r or 458 SOCOM.

https://brassgoat.com/products/brass-goat

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
Has anyone tried the “Brass Goat” ?  For $40 I figured I’d give it a try.  I don’t mind losing 5.56 brass, or even 300 BO.  But I don’t want to loose any 300 Ham’r or 458 SOCOM.

https://brassgoat.com/products/brass-goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6bouFooGPg
View Quote

Looks like it's only available for AR15. I wonder if it creates any issues with feeding. I've been using a pitching practice net that golfer use (about 3'x3') for bench and prefer that over the rail mounts unless standing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#25]
For my AR15 I just got a Brass Goat brass catcher.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it snapped onto my Daniel Defense M4 perfectly.  All you need is a mil-spec'ish mag well.

It looks like it will work perfectly.  Made in the US and less than $50.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#26]
@Warhawk

Just saw your question after posting my response above.

Mine took about two weeks to arrive from order date.  It looks like it will work perfect.  Be another week or two before I get to hit the range.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
@Warhawk

Just saw your question after posting my response above.

Mine took about two weeks to arrive from order date.  It looks like it will work perfect.  Be another week or two before I get to hit the range.
View Quote

I just got notification that mine has shipped.  I’m not shooting ARs all that much lately, but I do intend to try it out ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Anyone have recommendations on a brass catcher for precision creedmoor brass in field positions?
View Quote

Tactical Brass Recovery for everything.   For any range shooting where flags are required, all you have to do is flip it out of the way and insert flag.  Plus, it's built 100X better than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I never wear a hat but now there is always one in my range bag. It works as well or better as the other contraptions I have tried
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#30]
MPA's brass catcher looks to be very good.  They put a lot of thought into it's design.  The price reflects that ingenuity.

Here it is.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
For my AR15 I just got a Brass Goat brass catcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6bouFooGPg

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it snapped onto my Daniel Defense M4 perfectly.  All you need is a mil-spec'ish mag well.

It looks like it will work perfectly.  Made in the US and less than $50.
View Quote

This looks outstanding!  

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:18:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#32]
I've been using the velcro strap Caldwell.  It is, indeed, a PITA to put on, but works fine once set up.  I'm going to try their Pic version based on replies here.  Its readily available in Covid.   Thanks, guys.

I realize the OP said "in the field" which I assume means being mobile, not fixed location.   But, when shooting at bench or prone or other shooting where I'm staying in the same location, I just throw a large plastic tarp on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

...or leaving evidence behind.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

This is the one you want!
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MPD142:
https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

This is the one you want!
View Quote
I have had this for years. Best I have used.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 1911LVR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1911LVR:

Those are your words. I can neither confirm nor deny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top