Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2019 3:03:17 PM EDT
I’ve always used Hoppes 9 traditional Gun Bore Cleaner on my precision rifles. I don’t use Hoppes products for lube or cleaning the bolt, but I’ve always stuck with it for scrubbing the bore.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there another product that I should be using to clean carbon fouling out the barrel? Maybe Bore Tech?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 4:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
Are you doing it "wrong", I doubt it...  I am a K.I.S.S. principle kind of guy when it comes to many things, gun cleaning included...  One of my all time favorite gun cleaning videos is by gunblue490 on YouTube (LINK).  Watch the video, pick your favorite chemicals, and clean your bore gently so as to not damage it and you'll be fine...  

In summary, I think technique is more important that chemistry.  There is a latin phrase that you might have heard elsewhere in the world that applies very nicely to cleaning firearms - "primum non nocere" (first do no harm)...

Earlier today I posted the following photo of my bore at the muzzle in Bergara B-14 HMR thread...

Since break-in (1,150 rounds), the only chemical/solvent that I have put in that bore is WD-40.  Not exactly high tech stuff and the bore is doing fine & shoots great.  In the spirit of gunblue490, if you wanted to make up your own "home made" substitute for WD-40, mixing 1 part mineral oil and 9 parts odorless mineral spirits is where I would start...  I don't think you need "fancy" chemistry or products for most "common man" (amature) applications.

Best,

-r-
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely agree about technique. I only use Dewey products (bore guide, rod, brushes, patches, etc). Just curious if there is anything out there that does a better job than 60 year old (or however old) Hoppes formula.

And Bergaras are great BTW. Love my Premier
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I used Hoppe's years ago but have used Butch's Bore Shine now. I find it works much better on both carbon and copper fouling.

After cleaning with the solvent I will run a patch of Kroil and then a dry patch.
View Quote
Good info, thanks. Is the Butches one of those that you have to make sure you get it all out or don’t leave it for extended periods of time?

Not that I do that anyway, just curious if it’s “safe” or abrasive
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
I’ve always used Hoppes 9 traditional Gun Bore Cleaner on my precision rifles. I don’t use Hoppes products for lube or cleaning the bolt, but I’ve always stuck with it for scrubbing the bore.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there another product that I should be using to clean carbon fouling out the barrel? Maybe Bore Tech?
View Quote
BoreTech Eliminator.  I use it (and only it) on my AI AX (four barrels), my Sako TRG, a Desert Tech, my Larue (7.62(x2)/260) and a Tikka T3.  I'm just an anonymous person on the internet, but that's a lot of barrel $$ to trust to a product, so hopefully that means something.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
wipe out is what I use for deep cleaning, otherwise it’s a wet patch of kroil followed by a dry patch. I still use bore guides and Dewey rods but Wipe out is the best and my old lady doesn’t even know I’m cleaning a firearm in the house.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a convert to Boretech exclusively.

I used Hoppes and Sweets exclusively for 20 years, bought boretech eliminator with a gift card and positive reports from accurateshooter.com

There simply isn't a more efficient copper cutter available.  Takes about a quarter of the time to clean the barrel. It isn't chock full of ammonia and can be left in the bore overnight as a rust preventative.

The Boretech carbon cutter also works very well although my use is limited to barrels.

As another mentioned, I'm using these products on Kreiger, MPA, Shilen, Rock Creek, and Bartlein barrels.  Barrels I can scarcely afford to ruin.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I'm just about out of my Hoppe's so I'll order some Bore Tech and Butch's Bore Shine to try out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm lazy, I use Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner.  Shoot it full, wait, swab.   Repeat as needed.

If you want it to clean even faster, swab the bore with Hoppe's, THEN shoot it full of Wipe-Out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
What he said about Wipe-Out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I started cleaning with a mixture of hoppies and kroil 50/50.  It worked great and pretty quick. Some where along the way I got lost in all the "new" cleaners out there. I really can not say they are any better. If you are having good results with hoppies I would continue, maybe add some kroil for good measure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Try Patch Out along with Accelerator. Works great.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Wipe Out Patch Out too. A local gunsmith turned me onto it years ago. I haven't found anything better. If I do a full copper removal until patches come out perfectly clean, it does take a really long time though. Like weeks of soaking overnight, running a few patches through it the next day, soaking again, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top