Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2023 8:26:24 AM EDT
I attended a class using my Harris bipod and wish I had the ability to set the bipod legs to an angle other than 0º or 90º.  There were a few shots that I just couldn't get low enough so I'm looking at getting either an Atlas or MDT bipod.  There were also a few shots I had to put a bag under my bipod to get it high enough.  All of these shots were from prone.

What height bipod is everyone using for prone shooting?  Also, which model bipod are you using that can angle the legs?  My thought is to get the lowest bipod I can because it's easier to set something under it to raise it up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I like keeping a lightweight bag like a Chinese cheater bag(thats the name of the product) hooked close by or strapped to my precision rigs. Between that and a Harris 6-9'' bipod I find it extremely versatile for all kinds of positions.

I'm probably the minority but I found the Atlas kind of annoying to deal with and not particularly useful on the lower weird angles.

I've also been shooting gas guns almost exclusively in this context so YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
I like keeping a lightweight bag like a Chinese cheater bag(thats the name of the product) hooked close by or strapped to my precision rigs. Between that and a Harris 6-9'' bipod I find it extremely versatile for all kinds of positions.

I'm probably the minority but I found the Atlas kind of annoying to deal with and not particularly useful on the lower weird angles.

I've also been shooting gas guns almost exclusively in this context so YMMV.
View Quote

A few other guys at my class were using Atlas bipods and their ability to get lower was very useful.  I had to move my entire rig to a different position to see some targets.  I didn't actually get to use the Atlas bipod, though, so I don't if I would like it or not.

What about them are annoying?  Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve used Harris, Atlas, and now a Ckyepod. The Ckyepod is by far the most versatile of the three and I can’t envision going back to one of the others. MDT does a pretty good Black Friday sale if you can wait a month or so.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Atlas, and Versa Pod bipods.   Atlas is a very well made bipod, another is Versa Pod, they have a good selection and accessories to get you get you what you want and are every bit as strong and well made as Atlas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
In PA so were you shooting the class at Mifflin? Some good angles there.

If you are going to jump in the deep end then go for the Ckyepod. Legs adjust all over and it has swivel and pan also. But one thing you need to ask yourself is will it be worth it to you in your normal non-class shooting.

And I agree the Atlas way they extend and retract is a pain for me and I wouldn't run one. A lot of people like them though.
View Quote

It was actually a class down in Virginia at Pigg River Precision, but a similar setup with targets going up a hill.

I definitely can't afford the Ckyepod, or I should say I don't want to spend that much on a bipod.  I was looking at their GRND-POD which is the same price range of some of the Atlas bipods.

The Harris did everything else well during the class other than getting low enough.  I'm going to move it to a different gun that I don't use as much.  I also have two Magpul bipods but they have the same issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I have an Atlas, and Versa Pod bipods.   Atlas is a very well made bipod, another is Versa Pod, they have a good selection and accessories to get you get you what you want and are every bit as strong and well made as Atlas.
View Quote

Thanks!  I haven't looked at them yet.  I appreciate the link.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the tall Atlas PRS bipod, it goes from 6.2 to 12.5 inches tall, you can also buy 3" length leg extensions if needed to add more height...Likely you could add several extensions if needed..not sure about that...but the PRS has tilt and pan and has no issues standing up to my 300rum recoil, which my Harris couldn't take... the Atlas is simple to use, maybe a touch slower than a Harris, but not that big of a deal to me, the security of knowing it always performs well makes up for the cost over the Harris for me...

Mine with the legs at 45*..works fine...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I asked the instructor of my class which Atlas he had and he said the Atlas CAL.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
I asked the instructor of my class which Atlas he had and he said the Atlas CAL.
View Quote

The CAL won't pan, it only cant's, that is the difference between them, the PRS does both cant and pan....nice feature to have, but you may not need or want it...
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Who was teaching?
View Quote

John Carughi
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

The CAL won't pan, it only cant's, that is the difference between them, the PRS does both cant and pan....nice feature to have, but you may not need or want it...
View Quote

So far I haven't needed to pan with a bipod.  I'm not sure if I need that feature.

Man, this is getting to be harder than I thought it was going to be.  I guess I just need to get one and start using it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm still tossing the idea of a new bipod around.  I've narrowed it down to Atlas and Accu-tac.

The Atlas ones I'm looking at are the PRS and the CAL.  The Accu-tac ones are the WB-5 and BR-4.

I like the features of the Accu-tac but I like the price and weight of the Atlas.  I also can't decide if I want a wider bipod for more stability or not.  More stability would be nice but the narrower ones are easier to maneuver on obstacles and take up less room in the bag/safe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still tossing the idea of a new bipod around.  I've narrowed it down to Atlas and Accu-tac.

The Atlas ones I'm looking at are the PRS and the CAL.  The Accu-tac ones are the WB-5 and BR-4.

I like the features of the Accu-tac but I like the price and weight of the Atlas.  I also can't decide if I want a wider bipod for more stability or not.  More stability would be nice but the narrower ones are easier to maneuver on obstacles and take up less room in the bag/safe.
View Quote

I went thru the same choices when I got the tall prs versus the 5H that I was looking at...The 5H was going to have to be removed every time to get it to fit in the dragbag...I will say, the PRS has given me zero issue as far as stability, but the shorter version could possibly be more of an issue, but I have never heard anyone complain about any version as far as stability goes......
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#17]
I have all these

- Harris
- Atlas PSR
- Atlas 5-H
- MDT Ckye-Pod (OG. Haven't had a chance to check out the gen2)
- S7
- Elite Iron Revolution .50cal, and Panning

A) What rifle are you going to be using it on?

B) what kind of shooting? Whether you want/need panning, will depend on the type of shooting. Moving targets, or timed engagement with multiple targets, panning can be an advantage.

No movers (or if you tend to prefer ambush vs tracking), no competitions with timed completion with multiple spread out targets from one position? Some folks prefer non-panning as it eliminates the potential for the legs getting askew from recoil (which also depends on the rifle, shooter and shooting position/bracing).

The Atlas PSR, Ckye-Pod and S7 are all in a similar ballpark, to me. With each one having some advantages/disadvantages over the others.

If you get a bipod that allows 45-degree leg positions, it allows you to get longer legs, while still allowing for a lower shooting position.

If you can swing the price (and if the Ckye-Pod is an option, then you're already in the price bracket),  check out the Elite Iron Revolution bipods.

They are, without a doubt, my favorite bipods. Apex-above-barrel geometries (much better stability). Cant adjustments that are like nothing else on the market.

The Elite Iron Revolution Bipod

*** Initial deployment of the Harris is the fastest of them all, and some shooters prefer them for this very reason, but as noted,  the Harris design has some limitations, hence why shooters explore/use other options. Up to the individual to decide which features are more important to them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, not sure this will interest you, but it might..this guy modifies Atlas bipods, you can buy the whole modified bipod or just the parts to mod yours..but I figure it might interest you with the choices you need to make...

https://4aw-store.myshopify.com/collections/4aw-bipod-mounting
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#20]
OP, not sure this will interest you, but it might..this guy modifies Atlas bipods, you can buy the whole modified bipod or just the parts to mod yours..but I figure it might interest you with the choices you need to make...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjWllEqyzsU

https://4aw-store.myshopify.com/collections/4aw-bipod-mounting
View Quote

Wow. That literally looks like a ripoff of the EI Revolution bipod (pretty damned sure these guys did NOT exist when the Revolution was unveiled 10(+?) years ago).
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The bipod will be used primarily on an Aero M5 rifle for long range shooting.  It will occasionally be used on an Remington 700 in a Magpul stock.  Both rifles are .308.

I'd like to try a competition some day but it won't be in the near future.  There's a range near me that goes out to 1,000 yards so I'd like to be able to use the bipod there to keep practicing long range shooting.  I don't see needing to pan my rifle on the bipod.  I made my original post because I wanted the ability to get lower than my Harris, which the ones listed do with the 45º leg position.

My Aero M5 is already a heavy rifle so weight is a concern.  However, if I'm just shooting from prone at the range then it isn't an issue.  It would only be an issue if I ever go to a competition.

I think I'm leaning toward the Atlas CAL.  It will do everything I want out of a bipod.  If I end up not liking it then I will either sell it or put it on a different gun and try a different bipod.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#22]
It sounds like the CAL will work perfect for you OP..
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The bipod will be used primarily on an Aero M5 rifle for long range shooting.  It will occasionally be used on an Remington 700 in a Magpul stock.  Both rifles are .308.

I'd like to try a competition some day but it won't be in the near future.  There's a range near me that goes out to 1,000 yards so I'd like to be able to use the bipod there to keep practicing long range shooting.  I don't see needing to pan my rifle on the bipod.  I made my original post because I wanted the ability to get lower than my Harris, which the ones listed do with the 45º leg position.

My Aero M5 is already a heavy rifle so weight is a concern.  However, if I'm just shooting from prone at the range then it isn't an issue.  It would only be an issue if I ever go to a competition.

I think I'm leaning toward the Atlas CAL.  It will do everything I want out of a bipod.  If I end up not liking it then I will either sell it or put it on a different gun and try a different bipod.
View Quote

The CAL is a good bipod. Lighter than many options. Good construction (one of the things I'm not a fan of with my Ckye-Pod, is that the legs are loose enough to rattle).

The Atlas bipods (I have 3 QD PSRs and the 5-H lol) have much tighter tolerances.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
It sounds like the CAL will work perfect for you OP..
View Quote

I really appreciate everyone's input in this thread!

I'm going to wait on buying anything right now.  I'll keep using my Harris and take note of what I don't like so I can figure out what I want.  If any good sales come up then I'll pick something up then.

Heck I probably won't get to shoot much the rest of this year anyways.  I'm going to try to join the club close to me that has 1,000 yard targets (Mifflin County like the one person mentioned).
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#26]
You’ll need a taller bipod for sure up at Mifflin as the longer stuff is up hill.
View Quote

That's one thing I worried about with the models I was looking at.  I've driven by the range a lot but never shot there.  I do like that the Atlas has those extensions you can buy, if needed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah you can see the angle of the rifles at the team sniper match we shot there in 2010.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/54172_1449831253777_3564359_o-3004333.jpg
View Quote

Oh wow, the one guy is even using a tripod.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top